Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
HELP with band name, plz?

Thread: HELP with band name, plz?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default HELP with band name, plz?

Hello.

We settled on a name for our punkish-grungish new band...we'll see how it turns out to be but so far it seems it's gonna be something usually pretty fast and raw like Nirvana, but songs maybe more Alice in Chains style, we'll see how it turns out...

Anyway the name is 'Spookbox' which came about from we threw a few cover gigs like a 'jukebox' but we thought we were probably scary looking with our ugly mutts and punk aggressive playing...

But now I found out its also a derogatory term, spook I mean, which is not something I want...

So my question is whether the name Spookbox gives you any negative feelings?

I'll post a beta logo soonish...
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

who cares if a part of your band name is a racist term that is hardly ever used. keep it.
    Guitars: Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, Ibanez Talman TC420, Guitar built by yours truly
    Pedals: Digitech DF7, Digitech EX7, Ibanez WH10, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX The Worm, Arion DDM-1, Digitech XBW
    Amp: Marshall MG100HDFX + MG412
    www.myspace.com/ragnarpk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarpk
    who cares if a part of your band name is a racist term that is hardly ever used. keep it.
    Yeah, thanks, that's what I thought but not being a native speaker of English and living in scandinavia where you seldom even see anybody but scandinavian people I wanted to make sure it's not instantly translated by people as racist
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Scary name. I like it.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

/\ Same, I like it.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't think that anybody would immediately have a problem with it . . . unless they're looking to have a problem with something. Unfortunately there are plenty of people like that out there today. That's a pretty archaic term. If push comes to shove, you could replace the "oo" with a u and an umlaut. Actually, that sounds pretty funny.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OK here's the logo I drew for us:

Hopefully it says 'punkish rock-grunge' at some level.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

/\ I dunno about "Punkish rock-grunge", but it sure does look cool!
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

How about "Malice In Pains"?
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

How 'bout "Snake River"?
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Man, dee, that's an awesome logo! Looks very 3-D in the pic, w the skull seeming to stand out. Very creative and well done! :
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks! At some point it was very 3-d looking, kind of embossed/with reflections making it look like a raised surface etc. but I decided it was all too 'hi-fi' and clean...I flattened it and want to make it even more black/white and cartoon-like.

I want to get rid of the grays still, find an alternative way of making the skull outlines weaker than the text lines. And it should be a little less wavy etc...something that would be easy to spray on a wall by hand and still recognizable.

EDIT: done that now, the orig. pic has changed.
    Last edited by deeaa; August 23rd, 2009 at 05:47 AM.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OK I think this one is better...you don't really need the skull outline or anything there. Simpler and more effective!

EDIT: the 1st one is now the current one.
    Last edited by deeaa; August 23rd, 2009 at 05:47 AM.
    Dee