Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Best Strat Pickups.

Thread: Best Strat Pickups.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Strat Pickups.

Hey guys i was thinking about pulling the lipsticks out of my Danelectro and replacing them with some sweet strat pickups. was wondering what you guys think are the best ones, Whether be a set of three or even different pickups in each position.

Post Thanks / Like

favs of mine fender texas specials and the 69 set:

lots of choices out there if you want expensive or inexpensive
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pickups

I like Texas Specials but played some samarium cobalts and was really impressed, they r in an Amer Deluxe strat that must help them sound so good, but I will likely try a set.
    How r the tex mex?

Duff
    S Williamsport, Pa
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

www.pickersparts.com has a good selection of their own 'under the radar ' Strat PUs at varying great prices, and they have the Fender Tex-Mex set at $90!
    Call Jose and ask him about his selection and what is best for you. Seems they have even more available than what comes up on the site.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a big fan of the Tex Mex in my 60th Ann. I also have a 50th with the SCN (Sumarium Cobalt Noiseless). Also any of the Alnico 5s with the staggered pole pieces. If I were doing a pickup set I would throw in the matching pots and switch at the same time. Don't know what is in the Danelectro. A little more solder but not much more expense. In fact you might want to get another pickguard and just swap them out. You can always pop it back in down the road.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by msteeln
    +1 if you are talking about their Tonerider pickups.
    They have some great pickups for excellent prices.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mcsteein, that is a pretty nice deal. I just went through the custom wired pickgaurd and put together a Tex Mex with Mint guard and aged knobs with american switching for 145 dollars. I might just get one sent to my mailing address in Maine. Cool site!
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    +1 if you are talking about their Tonerider pickups.
    The TRs are supposedly indeed good, but I've heard some prefer the house brands.
    There are a few sites, like www.guitarfetish.com that offer low priced great sounding PUs that are their own. Havn't had experience with any of them myself yet, but hope to. Per standard wired PUs I guess there's only so many ways to wind a PU that up and coming winders are able to undercut the big names. Of course, Bill Lawrence has been there for decades.
    I'd like to find an HB that matches (or beats )the costly Mules from Bare Knuckles, which are the best I've come accross.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike90
    Hey guys i was thinking about pulling the lipsticks out of my Danelectro and replacing them with some sweet strat pickups. was wondering what you guys think are the best ones, Whether be a set of three or even different pickups in each position.
    What exactly are you looking for in a pickup? Vintage tone? Hum-canceling? Humbucking? How much are you willing to spend? That will help narrow down the choices for you.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    I am a big fan of the Tex Mex in my 60th Ann.
    I'll second that, though I do not think there are any "best" pickups for strats or other guitars. A matter of taste and preference, and depends on what you want. Some folks really like that old vintagey sound. With the new CV strats for instance, a lot of folks preferred the sound of the 50's pups, while I liked the 60's better because I think they are closer to tex mex, like in my 60th. So, that is clear as mud, right? Up to you I guess to go play some guitars and find what you like I guess.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

The Suhr V60LP single coils are the best pickups I've ever had.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Robert: The DC resistance on the V60LPs is 6.3, 6.3 and 7.2, on the Tex Mex they are 6.4, 6.4 and 7.4. Pretty darn close for our tired ears.
    Now I know why I like the Tex Mex.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm Zman, veddy interestink!!!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

The Fender CS Fat 50's are really good too! Comes standard on my American Standard Strat.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    The Fender CS Fat 50's are really good too! Comes standard on my American Standard Strat.
    I second that emotion! Love the sound of the CS Fat '50s in my Am. Std. Strat. I believe they started using them in the Am. Std. in 2012--prior to that, they were only available in the Fender Custom Shop models or as an aftermarket upgrade.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Joe Barden pickups, in my strat , and tele builds, for my own axes. I did build a strat, using the Fralin vintage, and they are a very good pickup with a good pure strat tone.
    The best pickup for the money is the Golden Age, from Stewmac: http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_E...l_Pickups.html

Post Thanks / Like

My #1 Strat has had the Fender Noiseless Hi-Gain Jeff Beck pickups in it for about 4 years and I love them.