Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
how do you set up your effects?

Thread: how do you set up your effects?

Post Thanks / Like

Default how do you set up your effects?

is it better to distort wet signals or to add effects to distorted signals?

eg. would it be better to add delay to a distorted signal, or to distort the effect-wet signal?

im trying to fit all my stuff on my board, and i want to add a couple more distortions, i was wondering if i could put a distortion pedal between my wah and my POD? or would it work best with the dist after the POD?

im currently running:

Wah -> POD -> MD-2 -> EQ -> Amp

would it still sound good if i were to run:

Wah -> Distortion of sort sort -> POD -> MD-2 -> EQ -> Amp?

IJ.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

What's right is what sounds good to you. The common practice is filters (wah, envelope)>compression>overdrive/distortion (from lowest gain to highest)>modulation (chorus, phase, flange)>delay and reverb. If you can put your modulation and delay in the effects loop of your amp that is what I find to be best. There are no bad answers to this question. Just bad sound.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

+1 to hubberjub.

just try things out, see what sounds good.. i run fuzz before and distortion after my wah, for example, at the same time, for some crazy sounds, so it all depends on what you're going for. just experiment
    Guitars: Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, Ibanez Talman TC420, Guitar built by yours truly
    Pedals: Digitech DF7, Digitech EX7, Ibanez WH10, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX The Worm, Arion DDM-1, Digitech XBW
    Amp: Marshall MG100HDFX + MG412
    www.myspace.com/ragnarpk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarpk
    +1 to hubberjub.

just try things out, see what sounds good.. i run fuzz before and distortion after my wah, for example, at the same time, for some crazy sounds, so it all depends on what you're going for. just experiment
    Same here.

I've used various different combos as well, for instance for a good while I had verb before OD because I liked to use it as a solo boost; gave a softer 'huge' sound that way.

But it's also 'true dat' - while any combo can give great sounds, in real world applications changing the established order usually ends up in difficulties for some sounds never mind how good it might sound in some single situation.

I put a wah first, because what it does is basically the same as your guitar tone controls. If later, it will provide a much less changing a sound, i.e. the drive tone and level will be more consistent if it's after OD. (Which may be good for some modern sounds but then you won't get a squeaky traditional wah sound)

Comp second; later in the chain it will just lift up way too much excess material, not just the guitar signal (which might be good for some spacey/noise sounds)

Next comes OD(s), because if you put them after time-based etc. FX the drive sound will be very inconsistent and messy (which might be good if you want to lose lots of clarity and make noise/sonicscapes)

Last come the verbs etc. Actually I prefer to use those mostly after-the fact entirely, but right now I do use a little verb. Which comes first, delay or verb, is a matter of how you like it. Delay after > really big sounding delay, before > more natural sounding perhaps.

Ah, and then also last come any enhancers, like BBE which I use, and such, like EQ, noisegate and so on.

So in studio, I'd just mess with the order and find what I like...

...but when building a pedalboard, I'd not alter the established order:

wah > comp > drives > delays > verbs > EQ > 'finalizer' > gate
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

my pod is also my noisegate, so it makes sense to put it last also.

whats a 'finalizer'?
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    my pod is also my noisegate, so it makes sense to put it last also.

whats a 'finalizer'?
    I meant anything like a BBE maximiser, enhancer, feedback destroyer etc. that 'finalize' the sound.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    What's right is what sounds good to you. The common practice is filters (wah, envelope)>compression>overdrive/distortion (from lowest gain to highest)>modulation (chorus, phase, flange)>delay and reverb. If you can put your modulation and delay in the effects loop of your amp that is what I find to be best. There are no bad answers to this question. Just bad sound.
    where does eq (generally) fit into that equation? does it matter?

I have a hard time with this sorta thing putting my effects into order.
    "If it sounds good it is good."
    -Eddie Van Halen

"Its like I'm in the fourth dimension, and somebody's asking me to describe it verbally. And thats what the fourth dimension is about; no words, no symbols, no images, just pure real energy, and vibrations. And if I thought about how cruel of a world this is, I would probably commit suicide after awhile, if that was what I spent all my energy thinking about. I definitely wouldn't have strength to create music." -John Frusciante

Guitars: Epi Les Paul Studio, Fender Strat (MIM), Mitchell MS180 Dreadnought

Post Thanks / Like

oh nevermind....

thanks deaaa
    -Eddie Van Halen

"Its like I'm in the fourth dimension, and somebody's asking me to describe it verbally. And thats what the fourth dimension is about; no words, no symbols, no images, just pure real energy, and vibrations. And if I thought about how cruel of a world this is, I would probably commit suicide after awhile, if that was what I spent all my energy thinking about. I definitely wouldn't have strength to create music." -John Frusciante

Post Thanks / Like

now what about modeling? I run a floor pod plus, and as ibanezjunkie i said has my noise gate but it has all my modeling as well so if i wanna change the overall tone will that work at the end of the chain?
    -Eddie Van Halen

Post Thanks / Like

you mean amp modeling...? that should go at the end..

by the way, love the second quote in your signature (had to say it). he's such a legend.
    Guitars: Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, Ibanez Talman TC420, Guitar built by yours truly
    Pedals: Digitech DF7, Digitech EX7, Ibanez WH10, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX The Worm, Arion DDM-1, Digitech XBW
    Amp: Marshall MG100HDFX + MG412
    www.myspace.com/ragnarpk

Post Thanks / Like

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!