Thread: losing the 'mojo'

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation losing the 'mojo'

when i first started playing 4 years ago on my valencia classical, i would pick up the guitar and just practise and play for around 3 hours a day non stop, nowadays it seems i only pick up the axe when im drinking, and even then it may be for an hour or so. i seem to have lost a bit of interest in playing, which i definately DONT want. ive got a new amp and guitar, but that didnt really rekindle anything to the extent that i wanted to. i just seem to be stuck in a rift, playing the same stuff over and over again. silly question, but do any of you guys have any ideas for techniques, scales, warm ups etc that you reckon could probably rekindle my love for the axe again?: any help appreciated
    cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Yes - a friend. Play with someone better than you, worse than you, different musical tastes/same groove, whatever. Just jam with someone else...as often as you can. Nothing will get your juices flowing as quickly. And you'll love it, and look forward to 'practice day'. I promise, it'll cure you for good!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip
    Yes - a friend. Play with someone better than you, worse than you, different musical tastes/same groove, whatever. Just jam with someone else...as often as you can. Nothing will get your juices flowing as quickly. And you'll love it, and look forward to 'practice day'. I promise, it'll cure you for good!

Great advice. +1

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

did you ever have guitar lessons? i only started when i got bored of playng on my own, its a great way to learn new stuff and play with someone else at the same time.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

You're running into the same problem that most every bedroom player does at one time or another. Zip's advice is great. Either that or just learn a new song that you always wanted to learn. Playing the same thing over and over just gets tedious.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I run into this same rut when I stop working on new things. (it's happened to me lots of times over the years) If I quit finding new things to work on then I eventually get very bored with my own playing.

There's a lot of ways to re-ignite that spark, but the key thing is to find something new to focus on. This could be a new style that you want to learn, a new song, playing together in a new band, etc.

One thing that I always do, when I start to get bored, is focus on being a listener first. Find some musicians that you really like and soak up their playing. Listen to their music and think about some things that you can draw from to help your own playing. Pandora.com is a great way to find some new music.

Another good source of inspiration is to go out and see some live music in your area. One good live show and provide tons of inspiration.

I've also bought lots of great instructional DVD's over the years that seem to help me out of a rut when I get bored with my playing.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer
    I run into this same rut when I stop working on new things. (it's happened to me lots of times over the years) If I quit finding new things to work on then I eventually get very bored with my own playing.

There's a lot of ways to re-ignite that spark, but the key thing is to find something new to focus on. This could be a new style that you want to learn, a new song, playing together in a new band, etc.

One thing that I always do, when I start to get bored, is focus on being a listener first. Find some musicians that you really like and soak up their playing. Listen to their music and think about some things that you can draw from to help your own playing. Pandora.com is a great way to find some new music.

Another good source of inspiration is to go out and see some live music in your area. One good live show and provide tons of inspiration.

I've also bought lots of great instructional DVD's over the years that seem to help me out of a rut when I get bored with my playing.

-- Jim
    +1 on that! Good advice there, Jim!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you do,do not tell your girlfriend you lost your mojo! She'll be gone in 60 seconds.So get with others to play with it will get those mojo juices flowin so says Dr.Ruth. Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes a song can rekindle the passion. You hear it and cant get it out of your mind. I absolutely have to transcribe it to guitar. It really doesn't have to be a great song, just something that tickles your fancy. Some songs that I've had to transcribe to fingerstyle guitar were:

Sailing - Chris Cross
    Arthur's theme - Chris Cross
    How deep is your love - Bee Gees
    Silent Lucidity - Queensryche
    dock of the bay - Otis Redding
    Free falling - John Mayer cover
    Girl from Ipanema - Jobim, (I learnt that so I could get my Dad psyched to play)
    Why Georgia - John Mayer, and this weekend,
    Alright - Darius Rucker, formerly Hootie of Hootie and the Blowfish.

With the latest one I want to do a cover, somethng I haven't done in years, so I'm re-recording the tracks to sing and play guitar over but more pop than country. YMMV.
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

: cheers for the info guys, ill check out those songs too