Thread: Neck profile preferences?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That looks like it could be really nice to play with. I will look for a neck like that sometime to try, if one is made. My palm is large, so my overall hand is big enough, but my fingers are kinda short and stubby. I am wondering if getting rid of that bulk in front of my thumb would open up some things. I do like to wrap my thumb over to form chords quite a bit. I wonder how that feels on one of those.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I have a v-neck on a mid-1930s Regal resonator, and it is really wonderful. With that type of instrument, of course, it has a flat fingerboard, but it's still great. Other than that I have a couple Linderts, which are something like the OP (deeaa) is talking about, but the high point is moved off-center toward the treble strings. Lindert patented the design, calling it the "Escape Velocity" neck. Thumb-wrapping is essentially automatic, and I still can't believe how comfortable they are. I've had trouble with them seeming to be temperature-sensitive, though, and they have to be removed from the body to adjust them, so it's a gigantic pain. I'm using them for bottleneck (which works perfectly), but I'd love to have a neck made like the Lindert but a little thicker, to see if it would feel as great but be more stable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't know if they make anything like that shape these days. Mind you, the shape is not quite consistently that throughout the neck, I shaped it by hand and it changes to more of a U on the davette as you get up the neck and C on the strat.

I got into it almost by accident, I wanted to try and make a neck profile like that and bought that old Charvette for a hundred, just with the idea of destroying the neck basically by shaping it myself. Turned out the best guitar ever, and I also got the strat done the same way. And soon I will do it to the Fying-V as well.

It sure was worth trying...the thumb position is the key. Playing licks it feels like an ultra-thin neck, but when chording you still get the hand support. The bad side is, these days when I play a lot of barres on a normal type neck, my hand tires easily, as it's used to them being very light to play.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.