Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Video Lesson 8-25-09 Melodic Rhythm Guitar ala Jimi Hendrix!

Thread: Video Lesson 8-25-09 Melodic Rhythm Guitar ala Jimi Hendrix!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Video Lesson 8-25-09 Melodic Rhythm Guitar ala Jimi Hendrix!

This is the first in a multi-part lesson on playing along the lines of such Hendrix classics as "Little Wing" and "Bold as Love"

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/ind...=129&Itemid=40

You can also get lesson updates and other guitar stuff from me now on Twitter: http://twitter.com/mwgl - we'll be having news about some music theory seminars and the winners of the free online voice lessons with Courtney Taylor are among the notable items this week!

As always you can find me on my forum at www.MWGLforums.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mark I am going to have some fun with this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Thanks Mark I am going to have some fun with this.
    :

Cool! I have a few more lessons in this series already recorded so there will be more in the pipeline....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sweet! Looks like a great topic!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Sweet! Looks like a great topic!
    Thanks!

So far this has been one of the best received lesson I've done in a while. Apparently everyone loves Jimi!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I like it too! and Steve Cropper also.Thanks Mark Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    Yea I like it too! and Steve Cropper also.Thanks Mark Sumi
    Actually, Steve Cropper would be another good lesson....

Post Thanks / Like

Great lesson! Apparently everone loves Mark
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Great lesson! Apparently everone loves Mark
    Actually, I think its more "everyone loves Hendrix"....I'm just the vessel

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mark wein
    Thanks!

So far this has been one of the best received lesson I've done in a while. Apparently everyone loves Jimi!
    One thing that is so great is that learning Hendrix style rhythm chops helps me follow more what Mayer and Vaughn are doing and where it came from in a lot of their stuff too. Getting the concepts down and transposing the ideas to rhythm playing in other keys fluidly at some point will be so nice.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that is so great is that learning Hendrix style rhythm chops helps me follow more what Mayer and Vaughn are doing and where it came from in a lot of their stuff too. Getting the concepts down and transposing the ideas to rhythm playing in other keys fluidly at some point will be so nice.
    So many players have drawn from thag bag of skills that this really can be something of a key to opening up other players styles, too!

I've been posting examples on other forums like this:

John Fruscianti from the Red Hopt Chilli Peppers also uses this stuff in tunes like "Under the Bridge" and "Dani California", too...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

John Fruscianti, another guitarist I really like. Cool! I had not thought about him. Nor had I thought about Journey. That is Schon on that song?

The way you broke the concepts down and covered what is going on with the theory aspects really helps me to get it better. I love this "applied theory" style of lesson. I am probably just dense, but learning theory, then separately trying to apply it to stuff I am actually trying to learn is hard without the dots connected a bit for me.

It is like learning a new program on the computer, it is much easier learning in an applied way on a project than in some class or from a manual for me.

P.S. That vid wants me to take another trip down to the city. My wife and I met some friends there for Halloween weekend in '06 and really enjoyed it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

John Fruscianti, another guitarist I really like. Cool! I had not thought about him. Nor had I thought about Journey. That is Schon on that song?

The way you broke the concepts down and covered what is going on with the theory aspects really helps me to get it better. I love this "applied theory" style of lesson. I am probably just dense, but learning theory, then separately trying to apply it to stuff I am actually trying to learn is hard without the dots connected a bit for me.

It is like learning a new program on the computer, it is much easier learning in an applied way on a project than in some class or from a manual for me.
    That is Schon.

Learning theory on the guitar is hard....the best way I know to really get students to internalize in in a usable way is to have them learn the theory on paper (usually the Guitar Fretboard Workbook) and then apply it directly to a piece of music like this...