Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good biographies?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good biographies?

Know of any good biographies worth reading? I like reading about musicians who experienced a lot in their lifetime. Miles Davis' autobiography was a great read I thought (although lots of foul language) because he talked about his experiences with other giants, such as Bird, Coltrane, etc.

I am tempted to get "Keith Jarrett: the man and his music", since Keith Jarrett is incredible as a musician and somewhat of an incredible jerk at the same time.

I have always wanted a good book about Prince's life and career, but I doubt anyone has been able to write anything accurate about him, since he is a very private man.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

clapton....an autobiography....
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a good biography about Led Zeppelin? What's the best Hendrix one?

I just read good reviews about this one - "White Line Fever" by and about Lemmy Kilmister - bet that would be interesting!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert have you read Hammer of the Gods(Zeppelin)

Skydog is a great book !!!! Nuff said
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    Robert have you read Hammer of the Gods(Zeppelin)
    No, is it good?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm, most of the biographies I read are more historical re: political figures or the like. I always have enjoyed Stephen Ambrose's work. His "Undaunted Courage" about the Lewis and Clark expeditions was great, and I really enjoyed his WWII books, and the one about the first transcontinental railroad in the US was surprisingly fascinating. A bit US centric, but interesting stuff I would think for North American dwellers. Sorry, I can't really recommend a musician book. I have a very simple one on the beatles, but I don't necessarily recommend it for you. It is more to read to the kids.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I really liked Backstage Passes by Angela Bowie.

It's Not About The Bike by Lance Armstrong was good too. Pretty inspiring.

Probably my favorite was No One Here Gets Out Alive by Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugarman. It's about Jim Morrison and The Doors. I read it just as I started living on the road as a full time musician.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    No, is it good?
    Yes it is !!! I liked it alot:
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

The Miles Davis book is probably the best I've read. If you can handle all the expletives, I highly recommend it.
    Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

Amp: (Somewhere in another country) Hiwatt 100W head, Marshall 4x12 cab

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

No, is it good?
    It's a good read Rob. A lot of insight into their crazy world and their love for L.A. Interesting stuff.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

If you want stuff about Zeppelin, Hammer of the Gods is great as is Stairway To Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored by Richard Cole (their road manager). However, keep in mind that the accuracy of several things in those books are debatable. Members of the band have criticized both books as inaccurate. Cole certainly had reason to exaggerate certain stories in order to sell books.

Jimmy Page: Magus, Musician, Man is also a good book, although not an authorized biography. The guy who wrote the book didn't even get to talk to Page (he did try), but I did enjoy the book. Page is so private, he'll probably never authorize anyone to write a book about him.
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Washburn Idol 64 DL w/GFS Dream 180 pups
    Washburn X-33 w/GFS 60's-70's Grey Bottom Non Stagger Overwound
    Stagg G300 SG w/GFS Power Rails
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone read 'Shaky' Neil Young's biog . I`ve read Hammer of the Gods its a bit lurid to say the least there was another one on Led Zep about their early years which was good but I can`t remember what it was called . There`s loads on the Stones I`ve read but they were I guess mostly ghost written although Marianne Faithfull`s one was quite good .

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone read a good jazz biography besides the Miles Davis one already mentioned?

Post Thanks / Like

Bob Dylans "Chronicles Volume 1" is a very interesting read. Not exactly a autobiography but a fascinating read.
    Anthony Scadutos bio of Dylan is also very good.

Sounds like SVL and I have similar tastes in bios. Ambrose is terrific. I think I've read them all. His "Band of Brothers" is riviting and the HBO mini series based on the book was terrific. McCullough is another great author in the genre. His bio of John Adams was very good, the HBO miniseries was good but not on a par with Band of Brothers.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Being the Beatle fan that I am ...
    "John" by Cynthia Lennon is an excellent read. It shows the down side of fame and the heavy price that people pay because of it. Makes you feel really sorry for Julian Lennon.

A great non-musician bio is
    "Einstein" by Walter Isaacson. By the time you finish this book you have a really good understanding of what Einstein was like as a person and not just the genius.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evenkeel
    Sounds like SVL and I have similar tastes in bios. Ambrose is terrific. I think I've read them all. His "Band of Brothers" is riviting and the HBO mini series based on the book was terrific. McCullough is another great author in the genre. His bio of John Adams was very good, the HBO miniseries was good but not on a par with Band of Brothers.

I enjoyed starting the Adams book, but was not as fascinated with Mr. Adams' life so quit on it. The kids were really young, and my reading was quite disjointed when I started. I will likely go back to it. I was not quite as enamored by McCullogh's style, but it was still good. Ambrose's inclusion of the practical experiences of common people is what makes his books so great to me. I like H.W. Brands' "T.R", on Mr. Roosevelt's life as well. I really need to be interested in the person to be interested in a bio.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

That Einstein suggestion reminds of a book I read about Nikola Tesla called Tesla: Man Out Of Time by Margaret Cheney. I found it fascinating that this guy was so far ahead of almost everyone. Really an incredible inventor and scientist. There might be better books about him but I'm sure they are all going to be intriguing simply because he was amazing and little is commonly known about him.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    It's Not About The Bike by Lance Armstrong was good too. Pretty inspiring.

Probably my favorite was No One Here Gets Out Alive by Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugarman. It's about Jim Morrison and The Doors. I read it just as I started living on the road as a full time musician.
    +11'ty on Lance's book. Since Robert is a competitive runner, I'm sure he'd like it. I read mostly biographies these days.

I read the "No One Here Gets Out Alive" during my senior year of high school. Not a good influence for a 18 year old teen! I survived, though.

I enjoyed most of Clapton's book, and even Slash's book. I'm amazed they survived at all.

For space buffs, I highly recommend "Failure Is Not An Option" by retired lead flight controller, Gene Krantz. He was the controller played by Ed Harris in the "Apollo 13" movie. When I worked in Mission Control, he was our boss (Director of the Mission Operations Directive). Really interesting stories on the golden age of the US space program, from the early days of Mercury, to Gemini, and then Apollo.

My favorite WWII book is "Ghost Soldiers: The Forgotten Epic Story of World War II's Most Dramatic Mission" by Hampton Sides. It covers the rescue of the surviving POW's of the Bataan Death March. A well told account that is quite inspiring.

"Beyond Survival" by retired US Navy Capt Gerald Coffee is the powerful story of his and other's survival as POW's in North Vietnam from 1966 to 1973. I met him when he was at a speaking engagement, and was inspired by his invincible principles. His book goes deeply into the spirit of man and the strength that lies within each of us.

My spiritual American Indian side loved Russell Means' "Where White Men Fear To Tread", which covers his struggle for even the most basic rights for his tribe and the indiginous people of the world, which is still sadly limited at best.

OK, just one more... "Harpo Speaks" by Harpo Marx. A must for anyone who ever enjoyed some of the Marx Brothers movies. Harpo was the kindest of the brothers, and had quite an interesting life. This well written books makes you wish you had known him.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

What's the best Hendrix one?
    this is

Has anyone read a good jazz biography besides the Miles Davis one already mentioned?
    robert i think you'd enjoy this one

mingus was an extremely interesting individual in addition to being one the greatest composers in the world
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast