Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
your operating system? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: your operating system?

Post Thanks / Like

All three of my network systems are running XP Pro. Couldn't be smoother. A fourth utility machine in the shop is running '98.

After reading about all of the troubles with Vista, I never even considered it.

Post Thanks / Like

Slackware Linux 12.2--possibly updating soon to the recently-released 13.0.

ph34r the penguin!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

At work I use Dual screen system running Windows 7.
    At home I went back to Windows SP just cos I like it.
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is a Snow Leopard review by PC Mag. There is an initial Windows 7 comparison at the end. Not surprisingly, each system has some strengths. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2352065,00.asp

I do not want to get into the "which OS is best" conversation because I think that answer is different depending upon your needs. For me, I have worked in both Windows and Mac enviros over the years and have been much more productive, with less problems, and greater enjoyment in the Mac world. I like things to just work, and I don't like to twiddle with or tweak things. Plug and play baby!

I would rather pay DVM to build me a great pedal that works than mess with it myself. That way, my time is spent on using the tool, rather than building or tweaking it. That has not been MY experience in the Windows world. But that is just me. My brother works for Microsoft, and we have learned to agree to disagree. Live and let live.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I like the 'mac approach' in certain things like iPod etc...on computers, though, I want to be easily able to for instance open a file in 5 different ways and make my own ways of dealing with them etc. On macs it just feels like there is only one way to do something and no options or room for customization, and that really bugs me. Starting from when you plug in something, it appears on the desktop. Yikes! I hate that! And all that dragging and extensive mouse use :-)

It's not about which is better, it's just a matter of preference.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Mac OS X (Leopard) user. I need to replace my 6-yr-old eMac soon, and waiting to see what Apple has to say at their big media event next week (i.e., speed bumped iMac, MacBook or rumored tablet).

Then I'll get Snow Leopard for free!

Guitars: Takamine F-349, PRS Mira
    Pedals: Line 6 M13 Stompbox Modeler, Boss TU-2 Tuner
    Amp: VOX Valvetronix AD30VT, Ultrasound AG-50DS4

Post Thanks / Like

now that ive upgraded my RAM, my hard-drive, most of my hardware and go through a bunch of patches ot get it working, my Vista seems to work great, for the time being anyway, eventually it will probably get annoying. hopefully by that time ill be able to obtain a full copy of windows 7.

my dads a computer tech, he should have no problem obtaining it from one of the many almost-illegal places we visit.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a iMac with OS 10.6 Snow Leopard.. its a fast cat and my setup is worth every penny
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Slackware Linux 12.2--possibly updating soon to the recently-released 13.0.

ph34r the penguin!
    Damm those penguins ! Currently running Mint linux (unb-deb) and Windows 7. I actually like Windows 7 compared to Hista la Vista as i can run Windows Media Center without any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

People who dis Vista just quote what drivel they hear or have pretty old hardware to run it to begin with. The same nonsense was said about XP prior to SP 3. Vista is a very solid, reliable platform especially after the last SP. Windows 7 is even better in that there has been much optimization under the hood and the transition to it won't be as cumbersome as Vista was since it is based on it. XP is several years old now and unless you plan to run with antiquated hardware Vista or 7 is the way to go to take advantage of multi-core and mass amounts of RAM that modern hardware can handle.

I use a combo of Vista 64, Linux, and 7 64-bit throughout the home.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelE
    After reading about all of the troubles with Vista, I never even considered it.

Don't believe everything you read...
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I just like it when my computer works!I really do not know that much about PC stuff and have had to learn everything on the fly.I use XP or should I say it uses me.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

We have Windows Vista 64 bit.
    Just as many people love it as hate it.

We hate it. It's gawd awefull
    We'll dump it and go to Windows 7 ASAP.

We also have an Apple Mac laptop.

It's the way to roll.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx
    Don't believe everything you read...
    For my application(s) Vista is worthless. The particular software I use is incompatible with Vista with no upgrade in sight. What I read are from users running, or having attempted to run I should say, the very software I have.

There is no option for different software, patches for either the software or Vista, or a different version. End of story.

These are not old computers and are quite capable of running Vista with the correct drivers.

This software and its capability is incompatible with Vista:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stingx
    People who dis Vista just quote what drivel they hear or have pretty old hardware to run it to begin with. The same nonsense was said about XP prior to SP 3. Vista is a very solid, reliable platform especially after the last SP. Windows 7 is even better in that there has been much optimization under the hood and the transition to it won't be as cumbersome as Vista was since it is based on it. XP is several years old now and unless you plan to run with antiquated hardware Vista or 7 is the way to go to take advantage of multi-core and mass amounts of RAM that modern hardware can handle.

I use a combo of Vista 64, Linux, and 7 64-bit throughout the home.
    There is a lot of truth to this, as well..

My main machines are both Core 2, one running at 2,6GHz and one at 3,6Ghz with a 1066Mhz bus too, and both too weak to run a 32bit Vista as quick and smooth as Xp. 32bit Win7 RC1 runs well on them, though.

I suppose, however, that the 64bit version would run better, and I'm moving to 64bit and Win7 as soon as possible; I only fear a lot of my sofware won't work in 64 bit systems but well, then I just have to deal with it.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Although I often bash Vista, I've also said it works very well in basic use once you get it set up properly. I used it for over a year on my main machine, and while it was horrible at first, nigh impossible to set up on my RAID array - I had to set it up three times to find a combination that worked, as it simply crashed completely at first, then f**d up the whole disk format system...but after finding working drivers (the Vista drivers that came with the mobo did NOT work in Vista), umpteen tweaks and removals of annoyances / stripping it down AND downloading all the SP's as they became available, the system was very pleasant to use indeed, and very fast, when using same stuff over and over again.

I also used a 32gb ssd drive for speedboost.

The only problems left were the huge size, very long boot times and very long times starting any activities you use very seldomly. The Speedboost technology was great in everyday use, but it also made doing anything but the usual stuff slower than when not using the boost. Go figure.

But, I used W7 rc1 for a while and it was MUCH better, so I figure a 64-bit Win7 should work well.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

I was at the local Computer repair for $75 shop last week.
    The had the Windows 7 on display demo.
    Very good from my humble test drive.

But ya really never know until ya drive it around your own block.

It had a few fussy snags on the lap top like shutting itself off,,, but the desktop ran good they said.

Evidently it frees up a lot of disc space too compared to Vista.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Robert
    Mac OS 10.5.8 but will soon upgrade to Snow Leopard
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes
    Like Robert
    Mac OS 10.5.8 but will soon upgrade to Snow Leopard
    Your in for a nice surprise! Everything runs smoother in Snow Leopard!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12