Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Almost was NGD! Strat - 50s CV vs Mexican - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Almost was NGD! Strat - 50s CV vs Mexican

Post Thanks / Like

Nice score, m! She's a beauty.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, msteeln! No doubt that's the one that's been waiting for you!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big thanx, guy's!

markb, that's how I look it at all. Things often do work out in the end, and now that the search is over, this should be a nice new chapter.

I think these 50s models have what's termed '57/'62s for PUs. Interesting tho about the Abi's.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops on the AY pickups. 57/62s are nice.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

In the description on ebay it says "57/62" pickups. What pickups came stock in that model? Have these been changed as well as the switch and pickguard?
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

"I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Reading the stat sheet and reviews on these, it's safe to that they will be collectables.
    The (arguably)best of the past mixed well with a load of todays inovations (without changing the vintage look) makes for a killer combo. And as with the Squier CVs, I can't believe Fender is/are? building these. What a great time to be alive!
    I do feel extremely fortunate to be getting this guitar and I hope I'm selling it short with my impressions =

ZMAN, should the entire electronics be totally compromised, for me, no biggie. I've got a bunch of mods aching to be employed. And the cosmetic changes that have been made were already in my mind as possilities since the 'aged' parts looked quite funky to some owners and many pickguards had a bulge at the top edge. Maybe thats why these swaps were done here.
    I did consider these things but didn't really care. Then neck and body alone are worth more than I paid.

BTW, anybody have a proper FatHead brass sustaining plate you're willing to part with?
    Last edited by msteeln; October 29th, 2009 at 10:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congrats, these are great guitars, I have the 60's version with the AY pickups. Classic players Mexican models are up there with the best of todays strats for me.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

The 60s seemed to lack the chiming highs of the 50s and focused more on the mids from my meager listening experience. Where do you see it with your's? Was that a preferrence?

The 70s look equally cool.

One thing that sealed the deal in my mind is the seller's pictures show the guitar's PU selector in the #4 position, which on this model has been reworked to allow the neck and bridge combo. I never use anything else!
    Last edited by msteeln; October 30th, 2009 at 12:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 2006 Fender Frontline. There is a little bit of a write up, but no specs. I saw another review, and it said they came the 57/62 pickups. Also unlike most of the MIM deluxe series it has a 9.5 redius instead of the 12.
    I am pretty sure they came with a Fender gig bag but you can get them fairly cheap. I would get one of the Fender tweed cases for it. I have two they really set the guitar off. Pictures are a must, when you get her!
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Oops on the AY pickups. 57/62s are nice.
    Agreed. The 57/62 pickups are my second favorite vintage style strat pickup. They sound great. My favorite is the Duncan Alnico Pro Strat II. The Duncan APS is only a tad warmer than the 57/62, so the 57/62 is a very close second.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    Pictures are a must, when you get her!
    I was just about to get a Kodak C182 when I spotted the 'consolation' Strat, which sucked up all my current fun tickets. Now the camera won't be on sale any longer at a local store. Might just pay the reg price if they still have some. These seem to be the best lil P&S available @ $100-ish. Definitely gotta get this guitar and all my other stuff archived for safety sake asap.

I give all my hard cases to a friend and run with gig bags, as I need the space. A shame in this case tho, a tweed would look good!

Had the seller pop the neck off to provide as much assurance possible for a safe and sane shipping experience. Plus I can inspect the neck end and body cavity for anything interesting, and revove any tone sucking paint. I'll also inspect the PUs and circuitry to know for sure just what I got before putting her all together.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well alrighty then...

Got'er today and put the neck on with just enuf time to clean off some sticker goo from the neck/pocket/plate areas, then headed off to dinner to celebrate and to get a new camera, while hoping to get a set of 11s which I should have had waiting... No luck on the strings, so another 12 hours of waiting to fire this baby up. A pack of 9s came with the guitar, but I can almost wait.
    Looks wise she's fine. The seller's camera brought out figuering along the neck that isn't all that outstanding in person, but it's still delicious in that dept. I've seen only one Mex neck that was even close, and it's stunning tiger stripping from end to end is unreal. There wasn't much interesting at the neck/pocket except more stickers w/goo to clean off. Made horrors of things trying alcohol to remove the various goo when I remembered having a bottle of witch hazel which worked wonders in ridding the mess. Wasn't happy to find a bar code sticker under the finish at the neck end. Can't get that off without sanding, so it'll stay for now, and may not matter anyway.
    The body color, as I knew, is much better looking in person. And the pearloid pickguard is surprisingly more fitting for the overall appearance, with a gold hue that nicely matches the body and neck, not at all the very white pearl as in the ebay shots. I'm really happy with that.
    I and ZMAN questioned the originallity of the PUs and tips, turns out they are indeed factory direct. Again it was the camera tint. So just the pickguard was changed, everything else looks to be stock.
    It's been a happily stressful day and I'm going to crash out with a big smile after enjoying an early Christmas with a new Strat and camera. I'd bring the Strat to bed, but that might be pushing it too far...
    BTW, if you're looking for an excellant point and shoot that is priced great, check out the Kodak C182. I'll be testing it tomorrow when I get shots of this guitar. I've seen them as low as $90. The Canon A1100IS is another really good one at $90-ish.

Post Thanks / Like

Were the stickers actually in the neck pocket. Sometimes they put them in to shim the neck in the cavity. I have heard of this in the past. I have personally had two Strats with highly figured necks. I have a MIM 60th Anniverseray Commemorative in Blizzard Pearrl that had a wonderfully flamed neck. I purchased a Squier Metalic Pearl Deluxe Strat for a friend and it had a very cool looking flame on it as well. A Squier by the way.
    11s, wow the most I every go on a Strat is 10s. My current favourites are D'Addario 9.5s on them.
    I will post a couple of pics of the necks just for fun.
    I guess it is more of a quarter sawn or tiger stripe.

And the Squier.

Looking forward to the pictures.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Default oo la la!

Those are indeed two sweet lookers, ZMAN. Better than mine. The tiger stripe looks just like my friend's '95 MIM custom Burgandy Mist that has faded to a cool copper color. Funny thing, I bought a used Shell Pink version years after him and we ended up with consecutive serial #s! The Pink's neck was merely standard looking, but both are sweet guitars. Well, his is still, mine doesn't exist any longer...

Stickers, there were two besides the bar code on the the neck tang.
    We'll see if there was a good reason tomorrow when I set the guitar up. Embarrassing, but I just got the Gotohs figuered out a few hours ago. Spent the last few day's twisting in the wind being completely baffled on how to string up using them. Even with the diagram I found online, I couldn't figure it out until today's success.
    Didn't even bother intonating the bridge first I was so frustrated, so I'll have crimps..., no biggie as the strings I put on (GHS flat Brites) aren't what I prefer (true flats), but it's all I could get quickly. They squeak, shocker! I just wanted to get tension on the neck after being off for a week.

But the guitar resonated nicely after getting strung, and accoustically it sounded promising.

11s, some have said the guitar really prefers 11s and I like heavier guages on at least the lower two strings, so this is still very much a work in progress until I sort everything out. Been a long time since I had a Strat, and I'll have to put in a few hours getting it set up properly.

I'm thinking the seller used it for a photo shoot and never played it. The trem pocket hasn't been toched it seems, plastic is still on the guard, and not a single light scratch anywhere.

Anyway, the real fun shouldn't be too far away, now that a ton of unexpected BS is outta the way. Still must learn to drive my new camera, so I'm not out of the woods yet. I need more hours in a day!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use the trem at all, in fact I have it screwed right down flat to the body. I use a lot of finger vibrato. I haven't been playing my Strats lately, I am in a definite Les Paul mode lately. I just can't get enough of the full humbucker tone lately. Of course every time I watch the Crossroads DVDs I get Strat withdrawl. My son is looking for a new Camera so I will have him take a look at the Kodaks. He was been looking mainly at Canon and Nikon.
    As far as set ups go I take mine to my Dealer/tech who is an absolute wizard with them. It is like he is in my head when it comes to perfect set up. If you can believe it I have 17 guitars and they all have the exact same action. Very easy to play. Free set up with a new guitar, 30 bucks plus strings for anything I buy elsewhere.
    Waiting for the pictures. Should be sweet.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    I don't use the trem at all, in fact I have it screwed right down flat to the body. I use a lot of finger vibrato.

I just can't get enough of the full humbucker tone lately.

My son is looking for a new Camera so I will have him take a look at the Kodaks. He was been looking mainly at Canon and Nikon.

As far as set ups go I take mine to my Dealer/tech who is an absolute wizard with them. It is like he is in my head when it comes to perfect set up.
    Hard to beat good finger vibrato, but I can't imagine having a guitar without a whammy bar. Everytime I see one I feel sad for it.

Too true! I was dancing between the Strat and an Agile LP. Can't afford an Edwards 'Jimmy Page' or relic, with a pair of Mules yet. I'm cosidering getting a Bare Knuckels 'Sinner' for the bridge on this Strat. Hoping it's bucking sound is as good as touted AND still gives the sc bridge tone needed.

The C182 has set a new bar for low priced P&Ss. Nothing I've come accross after extensive research comes close except the Canon A110SI, and it is at least $30 more and less feature packed. Kodak has been plagued with bad lenses, this one has a new lens that is way better.

I like doing my own set up. But you're fortunate to have someone that's in your head about it.

Thanx for your comments, ZMAN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12