Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Almost was NGD! Strat - 50s CV vs Mexican
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost was NGD! Strat - 50s CV vs Mexican

Post Thanks / Like

Default Almost was NGD! Strat - 50s CV vs Mexican

Was ready to walk out with a Strat today, hoping our best little guitar store still had the very sweet looking/feeling/playing/sounding CV I checked out last month. Alas, they had another which didn't look as choice, and the entire bottom of the fretboard had rough fret ends. Pass
    They will have a new shipment of CVs in soon.

However, they have a 6 yr. old used but clean basic SSS Mexican Strat, off white, with real nice glossy maple fretboard/neck, and all is swell, a good one.

Both @ $350, and obviously it is my first hand decision on which one is it for me.
    If I had to choose today between these two examples, I'm leaning towards the Mex.
    That said, in checking what is/was available on Ebay, similar Mex's can go for much less than $300, w/case.
    And, after seeing the 50th Anni. Shoreline gold beauty that went for $535 recently..., I may have to stifle my impatience.

So, for those who have extensive experience with both and know the good, bad, and the ugly of the hardware and overall sound/playability on each model at their optimum, I ask which is preferable to you.

I've been set on the CV for a year, but am getting cold feet now, at least until the new shipment arrives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I personally love my MIM 60th, but have not really played a CV. Of the CV's my choice is the 60s, but that is because the pups, and sound, seem closer to mine with the tex mex pups. But if you are going for used MIM, I would not go 6 years old but would go for an '06 or later with the very substantial improvements to the line. Better shielding, heavier trem block, and some other things. In today's economy, I have seen really nice '06 and later used MIM's going for a lot less than $350. That is the way I would go.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Awesome...

Sweet info, svl, thanx!

Post Thanks / Like

SVL is right. The 06 and newer Mexicans are pretty nice. Most complaints are about the pickups and we all know how to fix that issue. So if you can find a newer used Mexi you might be pretty happy. I've played several that felt really nice, had good sustain and playability. The ones I really liked had nicer pickups in them already than the stock ceramics FWIW.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

and I consider my 60th Tex Mex pups to be among those, so if you can find a good used 60th, that is a good move too, though a good standard MIM with pup upgrade, or even with not, will do you well.

Tex Mex pup description:

These overwound vintage style Strat pickups offer increased output, sparkling highs and a very nice warm tone while retaining your favorite vintage Strat characteristics. Constructed with Alnico 5 magnets and polysol magnet wire and featuring a reverse wound/reverse polarity middle pickup for hum canceling in positions 2 & 4, these pickups scorch. OEM on the Jimmy Vaughan Stratocaster. Available in white only.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with SVL. I have both the CV50s and have owned several MIM Strats. I agree 100% on the 60th, and the fact that there were upgrades in the 2006 models. The pickups in the older ones are ceramic and some consider them harsh. A good deal on a Jimmie Vaughn, 60th, or even a Deluxe Players Strat. They are really nice as well with the Vintage noiseless, and the extra pickup switch. Don't get me wrong I really like the CV50s and I think it is the best Squier to come along in many years. I would check the local online buy/sell. Right now you can get a lot of guitar for 350 there.
    The only standard MIM I owned was back a while and it was quite nice but it had a rosewood board and I like the maple. It was my first "new" guitar since my 1968 SG that I bought in 1969, and it created a monster. Since then I have bought and sold 20 to 25 guitars. I currently own 9 Strats, 7 of which are maple boards. Keep looking, there are a lot of "motivated sellers" out there. If you are looking at dealers you will probably pay 30 to 40% more than private. I have made some killer deals lately on our local Kijjiji.
    Last edited by ZMAN; September 5th, 2009 at 06:31 PM.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my 2ents.

1st off I have not played the classic vibe 50's or 60's.
    I have played the Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic ‘50s its nice guitar just not for me.

I do own an 06 MIM Stratocaster and I love the guitar well made feels great in hands and is my practice AXE 75% of the time. I own the Limited Edition Stratocaster with Direct-Mount Pickups far from your normal Strat setup but is a real good guitar worth every penny I spent on it $385.00 USD.
    The only change I plain on making to is some hot vintage noiseless pickups.

I have also played MIM 07 to 09 and have liked what I saw and felt MIM may mean to some folks a lesser grade of guitar but not from what I have seen.

So I think if you find a good deal on a 06 MIM or later like everyone else has stated you'll find yourself with a every nice axe you'll enjoy for years to come.

Happy Hunting,

Maxi...................

Post Thanks / Like

So, a minty 50th Anniversary Strat @ $500-ish, considering the aformentioned upgrades to the more recent Mex models, would be less preferable?
    How would a 50th Anni compare to a 10 year old mint Mex Custom. I had a MC and am still bummed I had to cut it loose. And I see the older Anni's come up fairly regularly at decnt prices.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I think you are talking different animals. Are you referring to a 50th Anniversary MIA (made in America) Strat? If you are and you can get one for 500 bucks I would do so. What I thought we were comparing was a Classic Vibe 50s, compared to an older Mexican Strat. Remember there were specific 50th Anniversary models,as well as strats that were made in the year of the 50th Annivesary. They are not the same animal.
    Things have escalated since the original 350 dollar MIM. LOL.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Default oops...

Sorry to make it foggy, yes, the 50th Anni's I'm referring to are Mexican and have been going for 500ish. I can imagine the US Anni's are WAY more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by msteeln
    Sorry to make it foggy, yes, the 50th Anni's I'm referring to are Mexican and have been going for 500ish. I can imagine the US Anni's are WAY more!
    Yes they are I Just picked this one up , found it on ebay / a Brand New 2004 50th anniversary american Strat . Came with everything tags etc.
    they retailed for $1595.00 in 2004 and this guy wouldnt budge on that price ,i just got it and had it set up and it is very nice guitar. Yes i am a lefty.

Post Thanks / Like

Just food for thought, but last year I scored not one, but two Fender Roadhouse MIA Strats, and paid $575 for each, including a nice hardshell case for each, and they both came with straplocks and leather straps.
    Very well made guitars, play great, and sound great.
    If you can bide your time and watch for a deal, you'll find something worth the money.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Yesss, those look nice. But only the MIM RHs are hitting the bay @ $500 currently.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nearly two agonizing months later...

...the trigger has been pulled!
    After being determined to get a Squier Strat for over a year, I started going against my mind set and thinking the Fender logo would be preferred. Funny how snob-ism can sway, but since I had the $ and I really found the Classic Player 50s to be even more to my liking, I switched my focus and started searching for one. Found a Surf Green w/molded hard case on ebay and missed it to a buyer that got it for a great $475. Lucky me!
    Actually, I lost out a few times on very good deals for these.
    In my sadness, I stumbled upon this http://cgi.ebay.com/wseBay/SAPl.dll?...m=280415516860
    Just got the mailing address and tomorrow morning $610.00 will be sent. Not too shabby, eh?
    Hoping NGD will be before Friday next week! Sure, I could have gotten two used CVs for that price, but I have a feeling this guitar will bring me more than twice the enjoyment. At least that's my mantra for now. A Shoreline Gold Strat with a beautifully figured neck has been a dream forever, and now it's just around the corner. I'm lucky the guitar was listed in a less than optimum way so it wasn't as obvious as other CP50s and that I didn't succomb to the depression and buy a nice used Agile 3100 LP that was listed for much less. Maybe later...

Post Thanks / Like

Nice guitar: My 60th Anni in blizzard Pearl has a highly figured neck as well.
    That gold looks really nice. The pearl guard really looks good as well.
    It looks brand new. Now a nice tweed fender case would go nicely with that guitar.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

msteeln, looking at that, looks like some champagne is in order! Congrats!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx, ZMAN & sunvalleylaw. Until the champagne... will do!
    I'm still kinda shocked that they offer the gold on these guitars, but like the earlier custom MIMs, they've cut loose with some classic shades.
    I'm sure this will at least equal my long gone '95 Shell Pink w/rosewood CMIM w/Texas Specials & Fat-O-Caster that I loved. I was stoked that the seller changed the bland one ply pick guard to something sexier, and think it fits in well, helping to offset the gold without standing out too much.
    They call the finish on these CPs a 'thin skin poly', as opposed to the bullet-proof polyesters. Not sure how that translates to a more resonate body as supposedly the vintage nitro finishes help produce, but if Clapton and Beck are happy with their new poly Strats, then I ain't worrying!

Another selling point on these is having a re-worked PU switch that now gives you the neck and bridge combo, which is where I always leave mine. So maybe no need to ring up deaf-eddie.
    Plus the formerly unique to the Fullerton Custom Shop 'two point' vibrato should be a winner.
    It would be nice to have a guitar that I don't want/need to mod.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice guitar, m. It'll be interesting to see if yours has the "CS '69 Abigail Yarra" pickups or the "'69 Custom" versions.

Except for Custom Shop guitars and other one offs, all strats have had poly finishes since 1966 (American Vintages have a poly undercoat). This includes all the new strats JH played.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I built a strat with those abbey's scalloped a 70's;neck added graphtech nut saddles and trees and mated it with a mim fender body all fender us internals, mint green p.g. it is sweet!

Nice strat by the way mstein
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast