Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Nut slot files?

Thread: Nut slot files?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nut slot files?

Where do you recommend to buy nut slot files? Stew-Mac has them but they aren't cheap. $25.45 each.

I'd like a set of 6.

Recommendations?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

These are the best I could find. I think they were around 70.00 but I would have to check again. Good quality with the size marked. I think this is where I got them. http://www.lmii.com/Default.asp

M

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a set of welding tip cleaners .....or go to an
    automotive store and get a set of spark plug gap blade, rough up one edge of
    them and viola`...you have a great set of nut files. Less than $5 for either
    way you go....
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger
    Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a set of welding tip cleaners .....or go to an
    automotive store and get a set of spark plug gap blade, rough up one edge of
    them and viola`...you have a great set of nut files. Less than $5 for either
    way you go....
    Welding tip cleaners or spark plug gab blades huh? Never heard that idea before. I'll check it out!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert, there is a tool for every job. Take my word for it. You can "make do" with just about anything. Pay the bucks and get the right tool for the job. You will buy it once and it will last you the rest of your life. I learned that lesson many, many years ago. My way of thinking is buy the best, buy it once, have it forever!
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the above and blow to slot half a dozen guitars and both work perfectly.
    Being 57 I doubt I will live another 50 years so I don't really feel the need to pay 10
    or 20 times that amount for one that will last 50 years. Perhaps if I were a
    luthier and made nuts for 5 or 6 guitars a week I'd feel differently.

Welding tip cleaners

Feeler guage/gap tool

Be sure and rough up one side of the blades with a file.
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you intend to cut new nuts from blanks and/or intend to do a lot of adjustments then a top quality, pro set of files is a good investment.

I bought a set of "Noman" files on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Norman-Guitar-Nu...d=p3286.c0.m14

These are not the right tool if you intend to do a lot of nut work. It seems the steel tends to dull a bit to quickly. However, for the occcasional adjustment they work great. I've also heard good things about the feeler gauge, welding tip cleaner strategy. For the occasional adjustment, I'm sure they will work fine.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evenkeel
    If you intend to cut new nuts from blanks and/or intend to do a lot of adjustments then a top quality, pro set of files is a good investment.

I bought a set of "Noman" files on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Norman-Guitar-Nu...d=p3286.c0.m14

These are not the right tool if you intend to do a lot of nut work. It seems the steel tends to dull a bit to quickly. However, for the occcasional adjustment they work great. I've also heard good things about the feeler gauge, welding tip cleaner strategy. For the occasional adjustment, I'm sure they will work fine.
    I have a set of these and they work very well but as mentioned before the the welding tip cleaners have been used by several people with good results

But also mentioned the right tool for the job is the best practice

Post Thanks / Like

I got some welding tip cleaners, and it worked fine for cleaning out or doing small adjustments to the nut slot. But I think more serious nut jobs need better tools!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    Robert, there is a tool for every job. Take my word for it. You can "make do" with just about anything. Pay the bucks and get the right tool for the job. You will buy it once and it will last you the rest of your life. I learned that lesson many, many years ago. My way of thinking is buy the best, buy it once, have it forever!
    ...or you can buy it twice.

Words I try to live by as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Amen

Post Thanks / Like

Bought my files from Stew-Mac, double edged. Works fine but it´s a bit hard to see witch side to use when 0.012" / 0.016" is on the same file, can´t find any marking on them.