Quote Originally Posted by markb
Because the GT2 is a tube amp emulator, Tech 21 are suggesting that adding another tube stage could overdo the effect. Sansamp sounds can easily sound over compressed especially for live use. If you want to be able to switch sounds live try a Tri-AC which is more or less a 3 channel programmable GT2. Runs forever on a 9v battery too so no fuss with power supplies to the front of the stage.

The new(ish) Boss ME-70 has preamp models and the same UI as the ME-50.
So assuming that you're going to use a SS amp and go directly into the effect return, what's a decent choice to use for that? Are there other powered extension cabs like the Tech 21 powerstation series out there? Pardon my ignorance -- this whole complicated (i.e. more than just guitar -> amp) thing is new to me.

Also, what's the expectation with a GT2 normally? Just pick a setting and control the gain/volume with a volume pedal and hope the pedal responds? I always thought you might need to switch from clean to dirty channels mid-song, which would require a gain/drive adjustment on something like a GT2, since if you switch it off you're suddenly missing the entire emulated amp, and you might want to simulate a Marshall both clean and dirty. Does that make sense?

Lastly, I have an ME-50, not ME-70, so even though I know the new one does emulations, it doesn't do me much good.