Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
10 Budget Solidbodies Article - Nov. GP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Budget Solidbodies Article - Nov. GP

Post Thanks / Like

Default 10 Budget Solidbodies Article - Nov. GP

Just got the new Nov. issue of Guitar Player a couple of days back, and there's an interesting comparo article in their "Gear Roundup" section, featuring 10 "budget" solidbody guitars:

1. AXL Badwater 1216
    2. Epiphone Limited Edition Wilshire
    3. Godin Redline 3
    4. Hagstrom Ultra Swede
    5. Jackson Mark Morton Signature D2 Dominion
    6. Michael Kelly Patriot Decree
    7. PRS SE Custom 24
    8. Reverend Buckshot
    9. Squier Classic Vibe '50s Telecaster
    10. Washburn HM Series WM24 Renegade

Street prices run from $225 (AXL) to $819 (Godin), spread pretty evenly over that range. They conferred "Editor's Pick" status on two of the ten--the Reverend and the Squier. The latter, at just $349, is a particularly amazing value. It's funny that the Buckshot is basically Reverend's take on the classic Telecaster design and, despite the distinctive Reverend body outline, it otherwise resembles the Squier CV Tele quite strongly.

I already have a Tele (a Xaviere copy that I upgraded with Fender Alnico 3 p'ups--the same kind that come in the Squier CV!), but I really oughta look into one of those Reverends....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

$819 qualifies as a "budget" guitar?

Not in my wallet.
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Washburn Idol 64 DL w/GFS Dream 180 pups
    Washburn X-33 w/GFS 60's-70's Grey Bottom Non Stagger Overwound
    Stagg G300 SG w/GFS Power Rails
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

All Reverends are great guitars. Joe Naylor is a heckuva guitar designer/builder. I am contemplating a Reverend with P-90s one day... haven't decided when and which model.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that seemed a bit on the high side to me, too. I think I would have kept the maximum street price to the $600 range. That would have knocked out the Godin and the PRS ($665).

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Compared to $2500+ Les Paul's, $819 would sound "bargain basement"!

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

For a MIA guitar the Godin is an excellent value. I'm sure the street price on those is much less.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    For a MIA guitar the Godin is an excellent value. I'm sure the street price on those is much less.
    GP showed the Godin as retailing for $985 and $819 as the street price.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    All Reverends are great guitars. Joe Naylor is a heckuva guitar designer/builder. I am contemplating a Reverend with P-90s one day... haven't decided when and which model.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, now I know where on the guitar buying scale I rank. If a guitar costs over $800 and it's in the "budget" category, I guess I'm in the dumpster-diving edge of the scale.

Maybe GP's demographic is lawyers and doctors (no offense meant to any lawyers or doctors here). Yikes!
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, I wish I had their budget if that's what they think is budget!

(PS: isn't Godin a Canadian manufacturer? Maybe my info is incorrect...?)
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigG
    Yes, they are. Don't underestimate them. My dad has one and it rocks really good!
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

I am contemplating a Reverend with P-90s one day... haven't decided when and which model.
    Speaking of Reverends with P-90's, I'm kind of partial to the Jetstream 390. All the pickup combo tones are good, but the P-90 version of "quack" that you get at pickup selector positions 2 and 4 (like a Strat) is tres cool. The distorted tones are just flat nasty, too. Talk about P-90 "growl"!! Check it out:

Though they don't make this particular model any more (a two P-90 version is still available), used ones are around, if you look. And that Reverend bass "contour" control is just da bomb!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak3D
    Yes, they are. Don't underestimate them. My dad has one and it rocks really good!
    No, man, I'm not under-estimating them at all! They make a great git! An earlier post had said they were MIA. A friend in the Toronto area is soon to buy one. He turned me on to them (he says it's pronounced Go-dan'. He should know, I guess, fwiw )

G
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

No, man, I'm not under-estimating them at all! They make a great git! An earlier post had said they were MIA. A friend in the Toronto area is soon to buy one. He turned me on to them (he says it's pronounced Go-dan'. He should know, I guess, fwiw )

G
    Yes, go-DAN is what I have heard. I think the name is French-Canadian.
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, funny how DVM suddenly knows so much about Reverends....
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by birv2
    Well, now I know where on the guitar buying scale I rank. If a guitar costs over $800 and it's in the "budget" category, I guess I'm in the dumpster-diving edge of the scale.

Maybe GP's demographic is lawyers and doctors (no offense meant to any lawyers or doctors here). Yikes!
    I'm a lawyer, and to me, a decent quality, nice solid body can be had for plus or minus $500. Both my Fender 60th MIM and Hagstrom Viking were under that number. To me a budget guitar is more like a CV of some kind, or more in the 2 to 400 range.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

The Reverend in the vid sounds good Vood. I was expecting a Marshall Tucker or Outlaws tune before the video started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm, funny how DVM suddenly knows so much about Reverends....
    Maybe we should rename him
    The Reverend DVM?

I wish I could have gone with my first instinct of getting a 3 pickup P-90 instead of my 2. The tonal possibilities are really sweet with 3.

I'm narrowing down my next guitar choice... This week (LOLz), the favored choice is the Michael Kelly Patriot Limited. (but a Reverend HH isn't far behind)

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick note, here:

there is no Michael Kelly. The company is named after the boss's son and daughter: Michael and Kelly (according to the receptionist at Michael Kelly Guitars)...and...

I just found this out today: thefret.net popular Seagull acoustic is made by Godin! (And Kodiak was right - French Canadian - based in Quebec.) See this review of a Seagull from acousticguitar.com:

http://acousticguitar.com/article/de...rticleid=24114

I didn't know dat!

G
    bigG

Guitars:

www.swartamps.com

Post Thanks / Like

Godin is a Canadian manufacturer. They have a factory in New Hampshire though. If I really wanted to split hairs I could also point out that Canada, being in North America, is also American. (No offense to Canadians.) MIM Fenders are also American according to my genius theory. I should work in marketing.
    Patrick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast