Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Squier '51 volume push-pull pot

Thread: Squier '51 volume push-pull pot

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Squier '51 volume push-pull pot

I need a new volume push-pull pot for my '51. Is this a standard push-pull pot I can buy anywhere?

I don't like how it's working right now - it lowers the volume far too much when you turn it down to say 8. I want it so it just takes off some grit and just mellow the tone a bit, which most other guitars do. Not this one.

Any suggestions appreciated!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Stew-Mac is the place to go!

I've got some Squier quality coil taps lying around. I could send you one when I ship the neck out to you.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

I think you can get them everywhere. Thomann has them, but they don't ship to canada, try warmoth.com or something.
    Example: http://www.thomann.de/de/goeldo_push...ti_500kohm.htm
    look for 500kOhm I think those are the most "sensitive" ones, because EMG uses 500kOhm pots. Hope that helps a little.
    Guitars: Ibanez RGT42DX loaded with Dimarzio Air Norton (neck) and Dimarzio x2n (bridge)
    MIM strat /w maple neck. new pickups soon
    Amps: ENGL Screamer 50 1x12 Combo
    Effects: All I use now is a dunlop wah and a big muff.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the original pot isn't of very good quality, since it scrubs off volume too quickly from the top. A good "audio-taper" pot should reduce the volume fairly smoothly (to the ear) across its entire range.

Any good quality 500K audio-taper pot with a push/pull switch and standard length shaft should do the job for you. Stewart MacDonald or Allparts would be good sources. I found the Squier '51 wiring diagram HERE, which shows how it needs to be soldered in. They show a 6-connector double-pole/double-throw push/pull switch, which really shouldn't be necessary for a simple coil-cut, but I'd recommend sticking with that type, since it's the "original equipment". Here's a link to the one I recently used on my Dot rewiring project:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a problem ordering from Guitar Parts Resource and they have a lot of good stuff.
    Leonidas' Gear List:
    Electric Guitars - Agile AL-2800 (S.D. '59 B, Pearly Gates N), Squier Telecaster Custom (GFS FAT PAFs + Mods)
    Acoustic Guitars - Crafter ML-Rose, Epiphone PR-350CE
    Amps - VOX AD50VT, Epiphone Valve Jr. (Modded), Fender Blues Jr
    Pedals - Crybaby Classic w/ Fasel Inductor, Boss DS-1, Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ, Ibanez AW7

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, you are awesome helpers! I am so happy we have our Fret.Net!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with a stacked CTS from Guitar Parts Resource! It don't get no better'n CTS.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass