Thread: Slim necks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slim necks?

I see that there is a recent thread on neck profiles, but I have a question specifically about slim vs. wide (or normal) necks. I'm looking to pull the trigger on a new Agile Les Paul-type guitar and I've seen a few second-hand ones with the slim neck. I don't know what it feels like to play one. I currently play a 50s MIJ Strat reissue and a Korean import Hamer SATF. I suppose that I should go to a guitar shop and try playing a slim neck. But is it generally a big difference in terms of feel? Or should I be patient and find one with a normal neck?

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter plays a slim neck because of her tiny hands.

( BTW: The body on her mods I'm told has a "Boob slot" for chix too.)

Ya gotta play it and see how you like it.
    Only you can make the call IMHO.

Enjoy it, it's a great instrument.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

With big hands/fingers they can be difficult.

Otherwise, in comparison to normal - easier to chord on perhaps, lighter feel when playing riffs (less finger movement) and on con side harder to play bends/tapping etc.

I've played a 1973 The Paul with a slim neck and it was very nice, but in general I hate both very slim and very wide and flat necks. Normal ones are the best.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I have midget hands also, and I'm in search of a slim neck guitar. I really had my sights set on the PRS Custom, but it's way too wide.

Post Thanks / Like

I popped into Guitar Center today to get a feel for slim necks. First I tried an Ibanez, then eventually a salesguy came and helped me. I tried a Les Paul with a 60s slim neck and it felt fine, though I didn't spend much time on it. I've been scouting for an Agile 3100 in honey sunburst and finally found one, but it's got the slim neck. Hmmm.

Post Thanks / Like

It's all about comfort and you should go with what feels good to you.

Post Thanks / Like

go for it the slim neck Agiles are fine....
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I pulled the trigger today on a beautiful Honey sunburst AL-3100 I had been watching on ebay. I'll see how the slim neck suits me (I did try a few slimmer-necked guitars the other day at Guitar Center). Can't wait to receive this Agile!