Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy Custom Gx

Thread: Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy Custom Gx

Post Thanks / Like

Default Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy Custom Gx

Looks like a really good guitar, anyone played one ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJoFEC1T-7g

Post Thanks / Like

Default Very interesting...

Saw the LP and SG yesterday at a local shop. Caught my eye real well, but I was in vintage jazz box mode so maybe I'll head back over after seeing this and another ytube vid.

Post Thanks / Like

I own both the Les Paul and SG Prophecy GX guitars and i am very happy with them! They both have all of the appointments you'd expect on a custom series guitar: full binding on necks and headstock and on both and front and rear body edge on the LP, gold hardware and beautifully flamed tops.

The Dirty Fingers pups are marvelous ... they crunch up wonderfully, but can also produce a terrific clean sound. The never muddy up! No matter how much distortion you pile on, every note in a chord rings out. The necks are amazing ... slim, fast and ebony.

Admittedly, they are a little "blingy" and might be a bit much for more traditional players, but they are fantastic instruments and I can't recommend them highly enough. Here's a picture of the pair:

Hope this helps!

Jim
    Things that I annoy my family and neighbors with:
    Epiphone '58 Korina Flying V
    Epiphone Firebird VII
    Epiphone SG Prophecy GX
    Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX
    Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
    Epiphone B.B.King Lucille
    Gretsch 5120
    Fender Standard Strat (Arctic White/Maple Neck)
    Fender Deluxe Players Strat (Three Color Burst/Maple Neck)
    Fender '72 Telecaster Thinline Semi-Hollow Body
    Fender Telecaster Deluxe Blackout
    Squire Fretless Jazz Bass
    Line 6 Spider III Jam Amp
    Ovation Legend acoustic from 1974
    Yamaha PSR3000 Workstation
    Yamaha DD-12 Electronic Drums

www.myspace.com/jimharbur

Post Thanks / Like

Default But in good taste...

Quote Originally Posted by MIDIMan56
    they are a little "blingy"
    This is what a good working guitar should look like.
    The old school head stock shape contrasts with the theme of the body, and a modified headstock to accentuate the looks would have been better. But, headstock mass is always a possitive, and the more ornate shape denotes it is from the top of the line. From what I've been reading and hearing, these probably are, and your succinct post w/awesome pic clinches it.

Questions - How does the LP fare in the tradition jazz stylings?
    A Les Paul can / should handle this in spades, that's what it was originally made for. And if it can do jazz, it can do country and rock-a-billy.
    A guitar that covers all that territory and is an ebony necked Les Paul, w/killer looks/sound/playability, make's for a classic.

Is the bridge/TP a TonePro?

I suspect this guitar could be immediately improved with a quick bridge mode to this www.comptonbridges.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MIDIMan56
    I own both the Les Paul and SG Prophecy GX guitars and i am very happy with them!

The Dirty Fingers pups are marvelous ... they crunch up wonderfully, but can also produce a terrific clean sound. The never muddy up! No matter how much distortion you pile on, every note in a chord rings out.

Jim
    Wow, looks like Santa was kind to you! I think I need to let him know I'd like a Les Paul Prophecy. I've been eyeing them for a year now.

Thx for the review. I was under the impression that the Dirty Fingers pup's were too hot.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Gibson Les paul studio (secondhand) or brand new Customer GX......what would use choose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    I was under the impression that the Dirty Fingers pup's were too hot.
    They are hot pups, Tig ... but they are in no way EMG-type pups. I'd say that they are a good 20% louder than your average humbucker ... you'll really notice this when you switch guitars. They break-up beautifully with just a little gain and snap when you pick with a little extra pressure ... but they do not have that harsh, metalic sound. The tone is warm and thick with just the right amount of dirt in them.

To answer msteeln, both guitars are bone stock ... haven't touched a thing. The LP is completely capable of producing jazz tones ... actually my preferred sound for a Les Paul guitar. They can growl if provoked ... but they also purr wonderfully!

By "blingy" I was actually talking about the lightning bolt fret markers and all the gold. I personally love the custom look and think the Prophecy's are beautiful ... they are a bit non-traditional though.

Jim
    Things that I annoy my family and neighbors with:
    Epiphone '58 Korina Flying V
    Epiphone Firebird VII
    Epiphone SG Prophecy GX
    Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX
    Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
    Epiphone B.B.King Lucille
    Gretsch 5120
    Fender Standard Strat (Arctic White/Maple Neck)
    Fender Deluxe Players Strat (Three Color Burst/Maple Neck)
    Fender '72 Telecaster Thinline Semi-Hollow Body
    Fender Telecaster Deluxe Blackout
    Squire Fretless Jazz Bass
    Line 6 Spider III Jam Amp
    Ovation Legend acoustic from 1974
    Yamaha PSR3000 Workstation
    Yamaha DD-12 Electronic Drums

www.myspace.com/jimharbur