Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vox Static

Post Thanks / Like

yeah...hopefully the simplest solution is THE solution....

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

That is bizarre, considering the pick would likely interfere with all signals, not just the low strings.

I'm thinking too that just the fact that you moved the amp and it seemed fine afterward, could mean something is loose or was?? Leave the back of the amp off for a while, in case it starts again, then pop in a different tube and give it a go.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

i think it is possesed
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    i think it is possesed
    One of the biggest criticisms of the Valvetronix line is reliability issues and I was hesitant to buy one to begin with for that reason. Hopefully, these amps will stand up to time. I'm finding lately that I'm having a love/hate relationship with mine.

I saw on the Vox Talk forum last night that someone "thinks" (not confirmed) that Vox is phasing out the AD120VTX and AD60VTX amps. I've noticed too that they haven't shown up in any music catalogs lately. I wonder if they will be replaced with the AD**VT series??
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    'm finding lately that I'm having a love/hate relationship with mine.
    same here....i have heard good things about the roland cube series of amps...i bought a micro cube for my son and it rocks (for what it is)

ww

Post Thanks / Like

same here....i have heard good things about the roland cube series of amps...i bought a micro cube for my son and it rocks (for what it is)
    I A/B'd the AD30VT and Cube 30 when I first got the amp. There really wasn't any comparison. I even had an extra set of ears with me. Both of us agreed that that Vox sounded a lot better. I don't know if I could quantify how it sounded better, but it just did. I've had my Vox for almost two years now and have not had an iota of trouble with it. Of course, I'm not touring/gigging/etc. so my amp basically stays in the same place all of the time.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

thanks marnold...yeah i don't gig either so my amps rarely get moved....as long as we don't lose power today (ernesto is giving us a little nasty weather but not too bad so far) i'm gonna play the vox some more to see if the static issue happens again...i still have a hard time believing the wayward pick inside could have caused the problem...i probably won't trade it in.

I think i'm going to get some contact cleaner and clean all the contact points good to to see if that helps.

ww

Post Thanks / Like

i think it is possesed
    You need a young priest and an old priest....

I'm sitting here thinking....what guitar(s) does this happen on? Its not the dreaded pickguard static is it? Like from your Tele? No?

Have you tried shaking around the speaker wires? If they're loose or cracked inside they'll intermittenly crackle. Vibration from volume would definately make that a possibilty. Rig up a way to connect the amp to another speaker temporarily to eliminate this possibilty. If it still has static then its the amp. Still thinking about this....

Post Thanks / Like

it has happened on more than one guitar...my tele, the les paul and i think my ibanez dual humbucker. I took the back of and the speaker wires are on tight. I wish it happened all the time...it would be easier to track down....but it is harder when it only happens sometimes....

ww

Post Thanks / Like

it has happened on more than one guitar...my tele, the les paul and i think my ibanez dual humbucker. I took the back of and the speaker wires are on tight. I wish it happened all the time...it would be easier to track down....but it is harder when it only happens sometimes....

ww

Hit it with a hammer? Got me baffled. I'm running out of ideas man sowrry.

Does it sound like an electrical static? Or a vibration static?

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like electronic static to me....i'm hoping to record it with my built in condesor mike on my laptop if it happens again....

ww

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like electronic static to me....i'm hoping to record it with my built in condesor mike on my laptop if it happens again....

ww

Hey thats a great idea. And then post the file here for us to interpret.

Post Thanks / Like

Warren, does the amp still produce that static sound if you remove the cable plug from the input??

If it does so, crank up the volume to the max. Listen after raspy voices speaking latin backwards.. If you hear them, pour one vial of holy water over the amp. Works wonders with our family Ford
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I could see a pick getting lodged in there funny and causing problems. A good hit with contact cleaner certainly can't hurt. I've heard reports of the AD series speakers cutting out because of gunk build-up in the phone/line jack.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

well i played it again this morning for about an hour and no static....very strange.... (probably because i had my laptop in the music room ready to record if it started acting up)...i am going to clean everything good with contact cleaner.

ww

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12