Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Vox Static
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vox Static

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vox Static

I am having problems with my ad30vt....i've noticed i get a static sound when playing low notes but don't seem to hear it when playing higher notes. It definately sounds like static and not a vibration, but only on the lower notes (low e and a strings)

I haven't taken it apart yet....it seems like if it was electrical it would happen all the time and not only on the low notes....thoughts anyone?

Happens with different guitars and amp settings....

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Does this happen at very low volumes too?

Post Thanks / Like

i would say yes....volume and master at about 12 o'clock....not sure about volumes lower than that...the attenuater on the back is all the way up....

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the bottom end is "falling apart", as they say. I noticed this to some extent with my AD30VT also, until I upgraded the stock speaker. A tube upgrade may help some, too. And it could still very well be a vibration, even if it only does it on low notes. The source vibration frequency definitely makes a difference!

A couple of other things to try, to see if they help any:

• Do a factory reset on the amp, per instructions on pg. 15 of the manual.
    • Take off the back panel and make sure everything is tightened down well, esp. the 4 speaker mounting screws.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Warren,

I had the same problem last month. Try changing the cable between the guitar and the amp. When I changed the cable the problem went away. I think in my case the ground wire may be defective. It is a Planet Wave cable with a life time guarantee. It will be returned on my next visit to Jacksonville. I hope this solves your problem also.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Warren,

I had the same problem last month. Try changing the cable between the guitar and the amp. When I changed the cable the problem went away. I think in my case the ground wire may be defective. It is a Planet Wave cable with a life time guarantee. It will be returned on my next visit to Jacksonville. I hope this solves your problem also.
    your static only occured on the low bass frequencies? I would have thought a bad cable would be staticky (is that a word) no matter what.

I'm gonna try everyone's suggestions....thanks!

ww

Post Thanks / Like

well i reset the amp and i still have the problem....really strange...it is intermittent....i am going to take it apart either tonight or tomorow and see if everything is tight. It does not sound like a rattle...definately like static. I wonder if the bass notes are making some wiring vibrate and that is causing it....

ww

Post Thanks / Like

You might have to reset the amp to factory settings? Maybe it's a glich in the circuitry or something?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    You might have to reset the amp to factory settings? Maybe it's a glich in the circuitry or something?
    that's what i did....no luck....gonna have to take it apart....

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Ummm...trade it for a Peavey Classic 20! Oh wait....you have one already. +1!

Post Thanks / Like

i have been thinking about trading it...but today when i was testing it out after resetting i was actually liking it (until the static started again).....

ww

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like the speaker is going if it's intermitten. I had a similar problem (except the sound from the amp would stop) and my speaker died...
    Guitars - Highway 1 Strat, 2000 Tacoma DF-21

Effects - Maestro Phase Shifter, Fulltone '69 Fuzz, Fulltone OCD, Boss CS-3, Mooger Fooger Ring Mod

Amps - Mesa/Boogie Subway Blues

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by el_goodo_maximo
    It sounds like the speaker is going if it's intermitten. I had a similar problem (except the sound from the amp would stop) and my speaker died...
    i hope not...it's probably got less than 100 hours on it(probably ALOT less)...is there anyway to check it?

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes rattling can sound like static, you should definatley take it appart, also you might want to change the speaker, it might solve your problem and will probably improve the sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    i hope not...it's probably got less than 100 hours on it(probably ALOT less)...is there anyway to check it?

ww
    Before taking the amp apart and checking the speaker, if you have an extra 12ax7 lying around, change that first. Sometimes (this happened on my old Fender HR Deville) if a tube starts to go, you can get static, odd harmonics, it can go microphonic, whatever. The tube could be reacting to the lower frequencies perhaps and may be on its way out. I'm thinking with the output signal of your guitar passing through the power amp first, I would check that. I'd hate to see you take a whole amp apart only to find out that a tube went bad. Pull one from your Classic 20 and try it in your Valvetronix. If you're still getting the static, then I would go with taking a look at the speaker.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks TS....now that i think about it, it seems to start happening after the amp is on for a little while....i will definately check the tube!

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Try A-Bing it with a cabinet somewhere... Only real way to tell.
    Guitars - Highway 1 Strat, 2000 Tacoma DF-21

Effects - Maestro Phase Shifter, Fulltone '69 Fuzz, Fulltone OCD, Boss CS-3, Mooger Fooger Ring Mod

Amps - Mesa/Boogie Subway Blues

Post Thanks / Like

well i took the back off this morning (the hell with client work) and made sure everything was tight (it was)....one strange thing happened....after i took off the back and then set the amp back upright to play i found a pick i did not bring into the living room (where i took the amp apart).

Anyway i played for quite awhile with the back off...definately sounded different than with the back on. I could not get it to make the noise i have been hearing (and played long enough for the tube to get nice and hot...tried several amp mosels and volumes and even switched my cord a couple of times....hmmmm

I put the back back on and played for quite awhile longer and still no static.

I wonder if the pick was in the cabinet and somehow vibrating around to make the sound i was hearing. I don't think it could be possible because the sound i was hearing definately sounded like static...like a connection wasn't good.

Still a mystery...i am going to just keep playing it and see if the problem crops up again....if so i will try to record it for you guys to listen too.

still confused

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Warren....sounds like Occam's Razor is in play here. I'd bet it was the pick.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast