Thread: Wilkinson Pickups - Are they any good?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wilkinson Pickups - Are they any good?

Has anybody installed/used/tried these pickups? In particular, the humbuckers. The set I'm looking at are 7.4Kohm (neck) and 13.8Kohm (bridge) with metal covers (Gibson LP style). I did a google for reviews but didn't have much luck.
    I'm essentially looking for pickups that have a bit of punch and clarity but aren't too hot (i.e metal-sounding). Cheers.
    Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

Amp: (Somewhere in another country) Hiwatt 100W head, Marshall 4x12 cab

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't bother. I had a set of Telecaster pups way back when and they were ridiculously underwound. They sounded horrific. Check out Tonerider!
    Guitars: Squier Strat, Squier Telecaster, Warmoth Telecaster.

FX: MI Audio Blues Pro, Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Signature Wah, Sovtek Big Muff, Danelectro Fabtone Flanger.

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thekiwidisciple
    I wouldn't bother. I had a set of Telecaster pups way back when and they were ridiculously underwound. They sounded horrific. Check out Tonerider!
    Cheers, will do.
    Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Suhnton...
    I can't speak for the Wilkinson tele pups but those Humbuckers aren't bad at all for the money. I am interested in trying the Toneriders out myself. I believe they're both made a stone's throw from each other in South China.

I think I have an extra set of the Wilkinsons here if you want to try them out. You're still in Japan right?

Post Thanks / Like

Keystone Pickups. Handwound by Bill and Becky Lawrence for ~$60.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    Hey Suhnton...
    I can't speak for the Wilkinson tele pups but those Humbuckers aren't bad at all for the money. I am interested in trying the Toneriders out myself. I believe they're both made a stone's throw from each other in South China.

I think I have an extra set of the Wilkinsons here if you want to try them out. You're still in Japan right?
    Hi Syo,

Yes I'm still in Japan. I'd be quite keen to see how they sound. I'm intending to install new pickups in an SG. How much are you wanting for them?

My noise here

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a set of Wilkinson P90s in a Gibson knock off by Vintage guitars, by JHS in Britain. They are made in the east with Wilkinson hardware and pickups. They are quite nice and I seriously thinking about getting a set of their mini hummbuckers.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    I have a set of Wilkinson P90s in a Gibson knock off by Vintage guitars, by JHS in Britain. They are made in the east with Wilkinson hardware and pickups. They are quite nice and I seriously thinking about getting a set of their mini hummbuckers.
    From the videos on the JHS website, the "P90 LP" sounds quite nice, a lot brighter than a standard HB LP. What are you intending to install the minis in?

My noise here