Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell Guitars

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    Actually I would be very interested in any recommendations from the fretters on what they think might be suitable for any of these models. If I wind up actually trying to market these I will probably want some reasonably priced (but good quality) name pickups.
    Can't beat GFS for quality/price ratio, but while their name is growing, they aren't known as well as Seymour Duncan or EMG.
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Washburn Idol 64 DL w/GFS Dream 180 pups
    Washburn X-33 w/GFS 60's-70's Grey Bottom Non Stagger Overwound
    Stagg G300 SG w/GFS Power Rails
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Just received these images from the factory. This guitar is tentatively called the "Bender". It's actually sexier than I imagined...
    Jack is too close to the knob though. Have to fix that next time around.

Front:
    http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/...a1b75e9894.jpg
    Back:
    http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/...a1b760b22a.jpg

Apparently they are ready to ship. I'm very excited to receive them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is one damn cool axe. I knew it'd look great but that really really looks good. Even if the pickup switch is in the wrong place for me, it sure looks like an axe I could definitely want.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Lookin' very sweet, Syo!
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Hell....?....Yeah! That is one sweet lookin ax, syo! I would be interested in that guitar if she were hangin' on the wall of a local git shop!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Syo! What's the latest word on Hell Guitars? Haven't heard anything for a while.
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Just received these images from the factory. This guitar is tentatively called the "Bender". It's actually sexier than I imagined...
    Jack is too close to the knob though. Have to fix that next time around.

Front:
    http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/...a1b75e9894.jpg
    Back:
    http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/...a1b760b22a.jpg

Apparently they are ready to ship. I'm very excited to receive them!
    Got to say, that in black, with a black pearl pickguard and chrome hardware...

If you do end up selling them...have you given any thought to a UK/EU distributor?
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

LOOKS GREAT WONDER HOW IT SOUNDS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak3D
    Hey Syo! What's the latest word on Hell Guitars? Haven't heard anything for a while.
    Hey Kodiak, Tibernius and MAXIFUNK.
    Although I have been at the Fret, I somehow missed these posts. Sorry.
    Hell Guitars are coming along very nicely, Thanks! After playing around with the first prototypes I am very encouraged. I am just finishing some small design and spec changes and the next round of prototypes should be started next week. We will be trying out some Bare Knuckle pickups this time. The Wilkinsons are really quite decent for the money but I want to try some higher end hardware this time around for comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibernius
    Got to say, that in black, with a black pearl pickguard and chrome hardware...

If you do end up selling them...have you given any thought to a UK/EU distributor?
    Thanks Tibernius. Maybe I'll try your color suggestion. I was thinking to offer black and with a black pearl pickguard sounds nice. Right now I am putting most of my energy into building the best guitars I can and not worrying too much about distribution. Hopefully we can get to that part of things soon too.
    Hmmm, If I have a UK distributor, perhaps I will have more opportunity to visit Wales. One of my favorite places..

Post Thanks / Like

A quick update. I just installed some Bare Knuckle pickups in two of my guitars and am floored by the transformation. I was looking for a Cream-like vintage vibe and got it with a set of The Mule HBs. Terrific match for this particular guitar. The HSS model got a "Nailbomb" HB with "Irish Tour" singles which pack quite a punch. More muscular than I am accustomed to but it seems to work for this model too, although I may try some others too.

Anyone out there using Bare Knuckles? I'd love to hear what someone else has to say about them. I am quite pleased myself and leaning toward using them for all of my designs. I'll try to post some sound files soon so you can hear what I'm talking about .

Post Thanks / Like

Hello...
    Just received some photographs of the first real round of prototypes of my new guitars in progress.
    This lot is fairly straightforward. Each basically inspired by ES-335, SG, and Strat in terms of rough dimensions and playing styles.

Anyway, would love to hear what anyone thinks. Although there are a few issues I can see already (oval fret markers for one), I am generally quite excited about the whole thing. Finished samples should be delivered in about 2 weeks...!

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/...eff25c35da.jpg

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/...eff2611b3c.jpg

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/...eff25e5d74.jpg
    these are really great!! I like the most is the middle one.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Kodiak, Tibernius and MAXIFUNK.
    Although I have been at the Fret, I somehow missed these posts. Sorry.
    Hell Guitars are coming along very nicely, Thanks! After playing around with the first prototypes I am very encouraged. I am just finishing some small design and spec changes and the next round of prototypes should be started next week. We will be trying out some Bare Knuckle pickups this time. The Wilkinsons are really quite decent for the money but I want to try some higher end hardware this time around for comparison.

Thanks Tibernius. Maybe I'll try your color suggestion. I was thinking to offer black and with a black pearl pickguard sounds nice. Right now I am putting most of my energy into building the best guitars I can and not worrying too much about distribution. Hopefully we can get to that part of things soon too.
    Hmmm, If I have a UK distributor, perhaps I will have more opportunity to visit Wales. One of my favorite places..

sounds very cool best of luck with the new hardware.

Maxi....................
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

I've done a redesign of my semi-hollow "No. 6" model. These 3 are being built now. You can see the concept art here:

http://www.hellguitars.com/stuff/no6_colors.jpg

The original had one soundhole and not chambered on the treble side. It plays nice but is a little too heavy so I decided to hollow out both sides and
    added a soundhole (redesigned shape). Added new colors as well. Would love to hear any feedback...er...I mean opinions from my trusted fellow fretters.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done a redesign of my semi-hollow "No. 6" model. These 3 are being built now. You can see the concept art here:

http://www.hellguitars.com/stuff/no6_colors.jpg

The original had one soundhole and not chambered on the treble side. It plays nice but is a little too heavy so I decided to hollow out both sides and
    added a soundhole (redesigned shape). Added new colors as well. Would love to hear any feedback...er...I mean opinions from my trusted fellow fretters.
    Thanks.
    Love 'em. I like the black best, although the goldie is nice. Any idea how much longer until you go into production, and where your US distributors will be? If someone already asked this, and I missed it, I apologize.

-Sean
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    Love 'em. I like the black best, although the goldie is nice. Any idea how much longer until you go into production, and where your US distributors will be? If someone already asked this, and I missed it, I apologize.

-Sean
    Thanks Sean.

The (hopefully) last round of prototypes should be finished in about a month. We have just a few design tweaks and trying out a few more pickups to see which fit each guitar best so I'll be sending a bunch of guitars out to some professional players and builders for their input and go from there. If all goes well, we might start marketing in 4 months or so. As for US distributors we're not yet sure. We are talking with several parties but we may start first here in Japan and go from there.

Really this all started out as something purely for my pleasure and passion with an idea to make a business of it if it felt right. After the second round of guitars (with a different maker) I was so encouraged (stoked actually) that I've been putting more resources into realizing a business. My approach is always to start small, take our time and get it right. And of course to do something I feel passionate about.

One thing I would like to make clear is that I joined this forum before I seriously considered trying such a business. Lest anyone here should think that I came here to cultivate future customers I can assure you that this is not at all so. I stumbled upon this forum when I found Steve's great Hagstrom review. I then discovered the good vibes here and joined the group. I am sharing this Hell business because I am seriously gassed about it (in more ways than one) and appreciate that I can share with the good guitar-passionate people I've come to know here. This is in fact the only guitar forum I have ever joined.

Perhaps when we get into the business of finally selling these things I can be Robert's first paying commercial business member (you still doing that Robert?). I'm looking forward to it...

Post Thanks / Like

That's good info, Syo. Thank you.

It must be a fantastic feeling to start a business that is also your passion. Congratulations, and best of luck (although, looking at your guitars, I don't think you'll need luck, as long as they play as great as they look!).

-Sean
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the last of my first four designs:

http://www.hellguitars.com/stuff/No2_layout.jpg

First prototypes to be built starting tomorrow. A familiar style made a little sexier (to my taste anyway). I'll have three flavours to start. This black, a cream (w/ red tortoise PG) and a figured maple top tobacco burst. For comparison we will be testing Bare Knuckle "Brown Sugar" pickups, BK "The Boss" and some Wilkinson Vintage. I'll go to the factory in a couple of weeks to check out the progress. My AmStd Tele is one of my favorite guitars so I am really anxious to try this model out.

As always, feedback/opinions much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

For any out there still following this, the 3rd round of prototypes are shipping this week. Got some pics from the factory and here are a couple...

http://www.hellguitars.com/stuff/spits_0110.jpg
    http://www.hellguitars.com/stuff/No2s.jpg

The Tele-ish model is all new. Although I saw parts of it in the factory last week, it hadn't been assembled so I am am very much looking forward to seeing how it plays. The one on the left is a bit out of focus but it's a flamed maple veneer on alder. Looks stunning in person if I do say so myself.

As always, any comments welcomed.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool thread, cool guitars. :-)
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast