Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hell Guitars - Page 7
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell Guitars

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    As usual I was less wordy than I should (mobile surfing....), I really liked the _looks_ of the golden one with those rather intricate patterns, and most others are also aesthetically quite pleasing. But I meant, when buying a guitar, I don't like graphics or such...if I want something there, I'll add them myself rather. And from general marketing standpoint, I'd venture overall people would prefer guitars without graphics etc. however nice they were. Might be wrong too, but I think there's a market for 'adorned' guitars and one for plain ones, and the latter is probably much bigger.

I do really like the shape of the guitars. If I ever had one, I would definitely be tempted to reduce the pickguard size on this last one, though...or remove it :-)

On this one, I would leave the pickguard off from the lower horn...kinda like leave the top as it is, and make the bottom the top's inverted mirror image almost, so it'd form a nearly perfect oval stretched forwards on the top side and towards the control cavity on the bottom. Sorta like on a Music Man bass but tilted and bent to fit the guitar shape. I just feel that looks a bit too big and unnecessarily so, and also the sharp angles at the control area sort of take away from the general smoothness of the guitar shape.
    Well, I agree with you Dee about there being a much larger market for "unadorned" guitars (off the subject, how is it that a guy from Finland writes English better than I do? ). My motivation for doing the adorned guitars is primarily for my pleasure. I will not be mass producing them but doing them myself. That being said, I do hope some will find them worth having for their uniqueness and craft. Frankly, I find 90%+ guitars and guitar makers to be rather uninspiring. If I enjoy some success with this I intend to play around with things quite a bit. And I always figure if this whole venture tanks, at least I'll have more guitars than Spudman...

As for the pickguard suggestion, perhaps I'll try a mock-up along the lines that you suggest. Actually I recently discovered that without the pickguard at all the guitar looks mean and sexy at the same time (or maybe I'm just projecting something...).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Okay, I assumed all the guitars would have special graphics/stuff on them. My bad :-) in that case, well, excellent work!

I usually think guitars look better sans pickguards. Even Les Pauls etc...but I guess on some, like Teles, it's so iconic it can't be left out. But a brand new shape might lend itself well to some unique pickguard shapes as well maybe.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Great progress syo... this has been a super-fun thread for sure.

I like the SStar model.. I'm not usually huge on a "busy" guitar finish, but the SStar is just so darn.. "cheerful".. :-)

I've decided what my dream Hell Guitars guitar would be.. .a Bender with a rosewood fretboard, the body finished only with 2 dozen coats of boiled linseed oil... all silver hardware.

So when I get my big record deal *cough cough* we can start talking endorsements.
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I assumed all the guitars would have special graphics/stuff on them. My bad :-)
    Nah, no bad at all Dee. Actually I always preferred "plain" (but well done finishes) and never modded the cosmetic appearance of any of my guitars. But it's becoming like tattoos for me now. Doing one makes me want to do more. The idea of creating unique, one-offs really appeals to me. Of course the standard colors are there because I love them that way too but I really get off on spending time creating something unique. It's very satisfying indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoy seeing you express yourself with your guitar finishes, Syo. I like all of them, to be honest. I'd have a hard time picking a favorite out of what you've posted so far, but that star design is pretty fantastic.

I'm very happy that you'll have some available for sale in the near future. I think I've kind of got my mind made up that my next guitar should be a Hell guitar. Of course, I may have to fight BCDon for the first one off the assembly line... ;-)
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

SYO 10" to 12" radius on the neck and I am ready to spend. LOL
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK
    SYO 10" to 12" radius on the neck and I am ready to spend. LOL
    Like really flat necks do you, Maxi?

I read over my comments thinking I may have an ill-constructed sentence somewhere but couldn't find it. But then I'm not sleeping much these days and confuse myself easily. But if you really want a 10" to 12" radius neck, I'll have the factory glue you a block and give it a light sand...

Check that. I just read over the original question. I'll cancel your order

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    I'm very happy that you'll have some available for sale in the near future. I think I've kind of got my mind made up that my next guitar should be a Hell guitar. Of course, I may have to fight BCDon for the first one off the assembly line... ;-)
    You got that right! I was in Austin, Texas and went to about 10 different guitar stores and didn't see a single one that spoke to me (well, there was a $5K Gibson but that ain't happening as long as I plan to stay married) so I'm sweating bullets (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9d...-bullets_music) waiting to place my order with you, Syo. And I'm leaning towards the Bender with some Bare Knuckle goodness (Nailbomb perhaps..please?) ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    You got that right! I was in Austin, Texas and went to about 10 different guitar stores and didn't see a single one that spoke to me (well, there was a $5K Gibson but that ain't happening as long as I plan to stay married) so I'm sweating bullets (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9d...-bullets_music) waiting to place my order with you, Syo. And I'm leaning towards the Bender with some Bare Knuckle goodness (Nailbomb perhaps..please?) ;-)
    The Bender is probably at the top of my list as well, although the Nail Bombs seem a little too hot for what I'm looking for. I find that I really enjoy the sound of AlNiCo II vintage wound pickups lately. Any chance that you could do something like that, Syo? I love the sound of the Gibson 57 Classic and 57 Classic plus pickups, especially.

How's your first production run coming, Syo? Any blems you need to liquidate?
    ;-)
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

The Bender is probably at the top of my list as well, although the Nail Bombs seem a little too hot for what I'm looking for. I find that I really enjoy the sound of AlNiCo II vintage wound pickups lately. Any chance that you could do something like that, Syo? I love the sound of the Gibson 57 Classic and 57 Classic plus pickups, especially.

How's your first production run coming, Syo? Any blems you need to liquidate?
    ;-)
    I think the Bare Knuckle pups that Syo spoke of is more inline with those 57s.. it was me asking for pups with a tad more zing (a'la Nailbombs). ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Are you guys really sure you can tell the differences between pickups like AlII or 57 or nailbombs? Really?
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you guys really sure you can tell the differences between pickups like AlII or 57 or nailbombs? Really?
    Absolutely, not! I just like the nailbombs for the name.

Post Thanks / Like

They remind me of a cross between Minarik and Halo Guitars. I'm interested in seeing their progress. I'd also like to talk a little business when you get ready for release I am very impressed by what I'm seeing. Of course I own 27 guitars, and probably shouldn't be saying that. Maybe you'll be doing Winter NAMM '11?

GA
    Last edited by GuitarAcademy; July 10th, 2010 at 08:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Don, Sean and welcome to Hell and of course The Fret, GA.

Regarding the Bareknuckles I can drop in most of what they make at this point since the run this time is small. Not sure yet if I will have custom configurations in the future. Still working out some details about this issue. But whatever (and whenever) you guys might want a guitar I'll put in whatever you like. With the caveat that I can't personally recommend pick-up/guitar combinations that I haven't personally tried out myself (and I have tested a few).

I have a few new things I'm working on but nothing to show just yet. Guitarwise anyway. I did do a test of a 24kt gold leaf violin recently. A little off but I was mostly just testing materials and my technique. Was playing with an Art Nouveau theme. Sorry. I know it doesn't have any frets...

Didn't put any clear varnish on top which would really pull it together nicely but I will on the final I'll start working on soon. All in all though I was pleased with this test.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarAcademy
    I am very impressed by what I'm seeing. Of course I own 27 guitars, and probably shouldn't be saying that. Maybe you'll be doing Winter NAMM '11?
    GA
    Well GA, you do sound rather easily impressed (with 27!) . I'll certainly be at NAMM and it's 50/50 whether or not I'll be exhibiting.. Need to decide soon though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    Very cool! I can picture Yngwie playing this on stage in between guitar solos!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    Hey Don, Sean and welcome to Hell and of course The Fret, GA.

Regarding the Bareknuckles I can drop in most of what they make at this point since the run this time is small. Not sure yet if I will have custom configurations in the future. Still working out some details about this issue. But whatever (and whenever) you guys might want a guitar I'll put in whatever you like. With the caveat that I can't personally recommend pick-up/guitar combinations that I haven't personally tried out myself (and I have tested a few).
    Hey Syo, good to hear from you! As far as pickups go, since you've tried more than a few, is there something in your opinion that sounds sweet, a little dark, and somewhat more on the vintage side rather than modern/hot? My Epi Tribute Les Paul has kind of become the bar to which my standards are set in that regard, but I'm willing to try something new.

The violin is beautiful! You do very nice work. I look forward to seeing some more custom paint jobs on the Hell guitars. The stuff you're doing is so much more creative than what's out there right now. Way cool.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Syo, good to hear from you! As far as pickups go, since you've tried more than a few, is there something in your opinion that sounds sweet, a little dark, and somewhat more on the vintage side rather than modern/hot? My Epi Tribute Les Paul has kind of become the bar to which my standards are set in that regard, but I'm willing to try something new.
    Hey Sean. Just in case you haven't been to the Bare Knuckle site yet, you might want to take a look:
    http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/
    They have specs, descriptions and sound files for all of their pickups. You can really get a good idea of what they offer. The forum is interesting too.

Regarding pickups for the Bender, I can recommend The Mule, Stormy Mondays and Black Dogs. I also have some Riff Raffs but haven't dropped them in yet. As per your description, The Stormy Mondays might be a good fit. Of the 3 the SM's have the lowest output and use either alnico II or IV (you'd definitely want AIV for the neck). All are on the vintage side. The Mules are Bare Knuckle's PAF model and the Black Dogs are listed as "vintage hot". Personally I really like either the Mules or Black Dogs (for extra punch) for this model but they all fit.

I have heard very good things about the Riff Raffs on guitars of similar construction to this (set-neck/alder body), so I'm anxious to try them out too, hopefully this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Syo, since I am new here Im not sure how to contact you in PM about these guitars. Could you contact me, I have some questions, business-wise.

GA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarAcademy
    Syo, since I am new here Im not sure how to contact you in PM about these guitars. Could you contact me, I have some questions, business-wise.

GA
    Hello GA. Tried sending you a message through the user panel but your preferences are set to "not receive". I don't know what the policy is about posting email here. If for some reason, I'm not supposed to, please someone berate me for doing so and I'll remove it.
    Until then, you can reach me at: contact@hellguitars.com.

Thanks.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast