Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hell Guitars - Page 6
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell Guitars

Post Thanks / Like

That Bender paint job is one of the most beautiful - and creative - guitar finishes that I've ever seen!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    I imagine I'm not the only one here at The Fret who can hardly wait for these to go into production. Will you personally sign every guitar that fellow Fretters order? ;-)
    That's very kind Sean. I'm really glad to hear some of my fellow fretters reacting positively about some of my designs. This and other forums are a testament to the passion guitarists have for their gear. Hopefully the finished products will inspire some passion too. That's my goal anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    I can see that you are a real perfectionist and are thinking about every aspect of your guitars. Very nice.
    Perhaps if I was a little less so, they would be ready for market already.
    In the end, I'm sure I will miss perfection but I really am enjoying the process.

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1
    That Bender paint job is one of the most beautiful - and creative - guitar finishes that I've ever seen!
    Thanks alot TJ. While working on it I've been excited by the direction it is going but all the while I've been wondering if it will have any appeal. Nice to hear that someone else sees something in it too. Your comment made my day.

Post Thanks / Like

Great designs man, love the 335 inspired one!!
    Yap, i like kay.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I have been overlooking this thread for too long. Excellent work. The No. 2 and No. 6 have my attention. The gilded looks makes me think you should try one totally steampunk.

I am totally curious as to price at this point. Any hints?

All the product names thrown around, you missed the obvious for one (should it fit)... Hell's Heaven
    -- Joe --
    Guitars:
    Gibson: '08 Longhorn DC HS
    Martin: '09 OM-1
    Ovation: '07 Elite-T 1868T; '95 Celebrity Deluxe CC257; '95 Balladeer 1751 12-string
    Fender: '91 Stratocaster Plus; '69 Mustang Competition; '08 Squier Telecaster CV50
    Other: '77 Bradley Les Paul Custom; '03 Michael Kelly Patriot Q
    Bass: '08 Dean EABC
    Effects:
    MXR Dyna Comp; Dunlop Crybaby; DOD TR3R; Ibanez MT10; Rockman Soloist
    Amps:
    Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr.; Peavey Studio Pro 110; Tascam MP-GT1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auriemma
    Man, I have been overlooking this thread for too long. Excellent work. The No. 2 and No. 6 have my attention. The gilded looks makes me think you should try one totally steampunk.

I am totally curious as to price at this point. Any hints?

All the product names thrown around, you missed the obvious for one (should it fit)... Hell's Heaven
    Yeah, on the last patterned metal leaf body pic I posted, as I was painting it made me think steampunk too. I wasn't setting out to do it though. I do know someone who does some antique-look metal casting so I may play around with a somewhat steampunk theme.

Regarding pricing, it's looking like around USD$299-$329 and up. That is if I decide to have versions with the cheaper Wilkinson pups or not. Still not sure. They will definitely be equipped with the considerably more expensive Bare Knuckles. Prices will start at around $450-$500 and up depending on model. Not a bad deal I think considering Bare Knuckles alone sell for around $300 or so for a set.

I am starting to do custom finishes myself. I wish I could spend all my time on these as I love doing this. These would be my "custom" models and I have no idea at all on pricing for these. Probably vary in price depending on materials, hours spent and how much/little I like the end result.

Post Thanks / Like

These guitar designs are simply awesome. Exactly the kind of thing I love...Original and good-looking designs.

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Syo, will you be selling any of your prototypes? Just curious. This thread has been so interesting and exciting, watching the progress of things as you see your dream become reality. It's been a real pleasure to live somewhat vicariously though you, and experience all the things that you're going through as this goes forward. Thank you for sharing with us!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kerc
    These guitar designs are simply awesome. Exactly the kind of thing I love...Original and good-looking designs.
    Thanks kerc, for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    Syo, will you be selling any of your prototypes? Just curious. This thread has been so interesting and exciting, watching the progress of things as you see your dream become reality. It's been a real pleasure to live somewhat vicariously though you, and experience all the things that you're going through as this goes forward. Thank you for sharing with us!
    Hey Sean. Thanks. I'm thinking about maybe selling a few to make some room but not 100% sure yet. As this is a new brand it is especially important that whatever is sold speaks well of the name on the headstock. I've got some I wouldn't sell because designs were changed and a few with minor (but unfortunate) cosmetic issues. But there are a few I might let go after some upcoming photo/video shoots. I'll mention it here first in case anyone might be interested.

On a side note, yesterday I received 9 bodies which are all routed, sealed and with bottom coats. All ready to play with! I'm hoping to come up with 9 unique designs to take back to the factory in a couple of weeks for assembly. I'll try to post pictures as they develop.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be VERY interested in a "in progress" prototype. A one-of-a-kind Hell Guitar? Hell yeah. Even (especially) if it's "imperfect" and/or beat to hell, whatever.

Just sayin..
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

Ground Control to Major Syo... Dude, when can I buy one of your guitars? I have the (funny) money and it's burning a hole in my pocket.. can you (at least) help a brother out with some status updates?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    Ground Control to Major Syo... Dude, when can I buy one of your guitars? I have the (funny) money and it's burning a hole in my pocket.. can you (at least) help a brother out with some status updates?
    Hello Don. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I was away on business for a few days and didn't check in. I was just about to update my progress but of course you got here before me...

Unfortunately I can't say too much at the moment, but the guitar options are kind of, well... exploding. Rather than leave it at 4 styles and 3 colors each, I've kind of gone crazy with the custom option. And by crazy I sort actually mean it. I've been working on creating rather elaborate finishes often well into the early mornings. When I do go to bed I can't sleep because I'm thinking about what to do next (hence, crazy...). I've invested in some equipment to help me do the bodies here in Japan and then ship to the factory. My goal is to get the bodies done in a few weeks and take them personally to the factory in time to oversee the first production run. I'm extremely excited about where it's all going and hope to post some pics soon.

Regarding the hole in your pocket Don, which model were you interested in? I'll see if I have something suitable and available for you. But perhaps you might want to wait to at least see the new stuff that's coming? I'm sorry things have dragged on longer than expected (though I rather suspected they might). This whole process has been evolving in ways I didn't imagine originally. Now, things are falling together just where I hoped they would!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    Regarding the hole in your pocket Don, which model were you interested in? I'll see if I have something suitable and available for you. But perhaps you might want to wait to at least see the new stuff that's coming?
    Exciting times! I'm really not in that big of a hurry, I just wanted to light the fire a bit. I can't wait to see the results of all your hard work.. until then I'll just nag every so often.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I just thought I'd put up a work in progress. This is my first test of doing graphics with silver leaf. I just pulled the mask off and cleaned it up a little but I will have to do some spot leafing here and there. You may notice that the pickguard and control plate look like they're just hanging there and that's because they are. The pickguard is a rough one from an earlier prototype. Not sure about the white but it's all I had at hand. It will need to be sealed with some clear coats for both looks and protection. As it is pure silver (well .9999) it will tarnish should moisture get to it so it needs to be sealed.

Please let me know what you think. The stars/fireworks were just a quick idea for a test. Kind of looks a little like a poor man's Zemaitis to me (wait, that would be a Greco... )

Here they are:

http://www.hellguitars.com/stuff/No2_SStars_proto2.jpg

http://www.hellguitars.com/stuff/No2_SStars_proto1.jpg

On other news, the first production run is underway. I'll be going back and forth to the factory to follow progress. I'm excited and nervous in equal measure. Small run for the first time...

Post Thanks / Like

Here they are:

On other news, the first production run is underway. I'll be going back and forth to the factory to follow progress. I'm excited and nervous in equal measure. Small run for the first time...

I want one of those with maple or ebony neck for sure.

Good luck with your 1st run.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Well I just thought I'd put up a work in progress. This is my first test of doing graphics with silver leaf. I just pulled the mask off and cleaned it up a little but I will have to do some spot leafing here and there. You may notice that the pickguard and control plate look like they're just hanging there and that's because they are. The pickguard is a rough one from an earlier prototype. Not sure about the white but it's all I had at hand. It will need to be sealed with some clear coats for both looks and protection. As it is pure silver (well .9999) it will tarnish should moisture get to it so it needs to be sealed.

Please let me know what you think. The stars/fireworks were just a quick idea for a test. Kind of looks a little like a poor man's Zemaitis to me (wait, that would be a Greco... )

Here they are:

It looks great. I have been lurking on this thread for awhile following the progress. Your so fortunate to be able to do this. I have a couple of questions. Any word on the latest pricing? What is the radius on the necks your using. what shape are they? I'm guessing a C? What guitars are included in your first run? I'm trying to decide between the semi-hollow body ( any new pictures?) and the one with 2 humbuckers that doesn't look similar to a Tele. Is that the Target. I get a little confused with all of the mock ups. The best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Honestly, I like them better with plain colors. Why is the pickguard so huge BTW, wouldn't it look nicer if smaller? Just my preference of course.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mystrom
    It looks great. I have been lurking on this thread for awhile following the progress. Your so fortunate to be able to do this. I have a couple of questions. Any word on the latest pricing? What is the radius on the necks your using. what shape are they? I'm guessing a C? What guitars are included in your first run? I'm trying to decide between the semi-hollow body ( any new pictures?) and the one with 2 humbuckers that doesn't look similar to a Tele. Is that the Target. I get a little confused with all of the mock ups. The best of luck.
    Hello Mystrom. Glad to have you following along. To answer your questions...

The radii for all of the models are currently 14". The necks are pretty standard C shape. I made these choices for 2 reasons. One is that it suits my personal style. The other is that since I am starting small I wanted to start first with a good all-rounder, which I believe the "C" with a 14" radius to be. I plan to offer some fatter necks and smaller radii in future. More success will mean more options available. I will be testing a 10" and 12" radius in my next order.

Regarding the semi-hollow model, unfortunately it is not part of the first production run. I am still tweaking things but I didn't want to hold up production for this one model. It will still be coming but delayed unfortunately. The other dual Humbucker is the "Bender". That will be coming with the first order. Pricing has been mentioned a few times earlier but I am also adding options which will vary the price. Hope to have the website up soon with all the current info.

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Honestly, I like them better with plain colors. Why is the pickguard so huge BTW, wouldn't it look nicer if smaller? Just my preference of course.
    Hello Dee. The plain colors are still available of course. Ever since I was a boy sitting in church, I had a desire to paint the plain walls with my own creations. Since church was interminably boring, I had lots of time to fantasize. I never did get to paint the walls but I did wind up making my living by drawing, painting and otherwise covering surfaces with my ideas. Can't be helped I'm afraid. It's my affliction. I have 18 more bodies waiting to be worked on and I'm sketching ideas in my sleep. Actually I started casually showing that silver star guitar around 2-3 days ago and received two offers to buy it on the spot. The reaction from a few trusted friends in the business has been very encouraging. Certainly not for everyone though I'm sure. Maybe I could interest you with one with a spookbox logo perhaps?

Pickguard actually doesn't take up too much more square centimetrage than a standard tele guard. The contrast of the pearl white on black with silver really does pop though. As I said in the above post it was just thrown on as it was to hand. But actually the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Thanks for the comments Dee. One thing I'm fairly sure of is, if you ever do wind up with one of my guitars, it will (most likely) eventually get stripped down to its' skeleton, or the body will be replaced by a really good rock or something. I would certainly like to see what you come up with...

Post Thanks / Like

These are awesome!! I love the silver stars, very cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As usual I was less wordy than I should (mobile surfing....), I really liked the _looks_ of the golden one with those rather intricate patterns, and most others are also aesthetically quite pleasing. But I meant, when buying a guitar, I don't like graphics or such...if I want something there, I'll add them myself rather. And from general marketing standpoint, I'd venture overall people would prefer guitars without graphics etc. however nice they were. Might be wrong too, but I think there's a market for 'adorned' guitars and one for plain ones, and the latter is probably much bigger.

I do really like the shape of the guitars. If I ever had one, I would definitely be tempted to reduce the pickguard size on this last one, though...or remove it :-)

On this one, I would leave the pickguard off from the lower horn...kinda like leave the top as it is, and make the bottom the top's inverted mirror image almost, so it'd form a nearly perfect oval stretched forwards on the top side and towards the control cavity on the bottom. Sorta like on a Music Man bass but tilted and bent to fit the guitar shape. I just feel that looks a bit too big and unnecessarily so, and also the sharp angles at the control area sort of take away from the general smoothness of the guitar shape.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast