Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hell Guitars
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell Guitars

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hell Guitars

Hello...
    Just received some photographs of the first real round of prototypes of my new guitars in progress.
    This lot is fairly straightforward. Each basically inspired by ES-335, SG, and Strat in terms of rough dimensions and playing styles.

Anyway, would love to hear what anyone thinks. Although there are a few issues I can see already (oval fret markers for one), I am generally quite excited about the whole thing. Finished samples should be delivered in about 2 weeks...!

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/...eff25c35da.jpg

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/...eff2611b3c.jpg

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/...eff25e5d74.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Those are really interesting. I can't wait to see the finished product. The first seems inspired by Trey Anistasio's guitar.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

All 3 look great, but I'm really liking the middle one (SG). I'm thinking flat black (or matte crimson) and gold hardware...a real Hell guitar
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Washburn Idol 64 DL w/GFS Dream 180 pups
    Washburn X-33 w/GFS 60's-70's Grey Bottom Non Stagger Overwound
    Stagg G300 SG w/GFS Power Rails
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Hell they look like hunks of wood to me!Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like the middle one a LOt that could be one seriously cool looking axe... 1. looks nice too, but the last one is only 'OK' for my taste, kinda looks a tad like Yamaha Pacifica...might look better with finish and all...all in all, a very nice line of guitar shapes.

Overall, it must be really great to do this, have your own guitar line! I'd love to some day build another one like my Davette...there was this local luthier who liked the shape, size and the construction combination very much and we even discussed him building a few copies for sale, but since that he's pretty much concentrated on non-luthier work and relocated, and that project never took off...too bad...sorry not wanting to hijack the thread, it's just that I'm a big fan of non-standards-conforming guitar shapes and new ideas along those lines.

Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

VERY cool, syo! Man, do I envy you! You have a very exciting thing happening there, man! Keep us posted, eh!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    I like the middle one a LOt that could be one seriously cool looking axe...
    Thanks. I'm especially looking forward to trying this one out. Here's one of my later designs before production. The first will be in a metallic red hopefully like the classic SG red (with flakes added).

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/...f8c354245e.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bigG
    VERY cool, syo! Man, do I envy you! You have a very exciting thing happening there, man! Keep us posted, eh!
    Thanks bigG. I'm interested in making my own guitars myself, but practically speaking I don't have the time to acheive the expertise I want. I have found some very good people in the industry however who can help me to realise my ideas. It really is quite a rush to see things moving the way I envisioned.

And of course, I'll keep you posted. It's not like my wife is Childbride. "Is that good? I don't really know anything about guitars", isn't really what I want to hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Nice color!

Uh...if you need anyone to take one of those prototypes and try it out, I officially offer to do so.
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, that SG does look good also in red...I envisioned it black.

Since the upper horn is so big, I'd have located the mic switch on it for easier access...it's what I really dig about LP's and hate about all other gibson-esque designs...the switch position.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way Dee...
    Your "Davette" is exceptionally cool. I came across your "overhaul" post and saw all the pics. Very nice indeed...

Post Thanks / Like

Those guitars are going to look good. I especially like the first (with the maple top?), dare I say "The thinking person's metal guitar". Who did you get to make them for you?
    Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

Amp: (Somewhere in another country) Hiwatt 100W head, Marshall 4x12 cab

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suhnton
    Those guitars are going to look good. I especially like the first (with the maple top?), dare I say "The thinking person's metal guitar". Who did you get to make them for you?
    Thanks. I'm hopeful they will not only look good but play well too. I am working with two makers right now but the one who is producing these three seems the most promising. As I may go commercial with these I'm afraid I'd rather not say who is making them. They are an established company who has manufactured OEM guitars for some of the big and middle guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    Thanks. I'm hopeful they will not only look good but play well too. I am working with two makers right now but the one who is producing these three seems the most promising. As I may go commercial with these I'm afraid I'd rather not say who is making them. They are an established company who has manufactured OEM guitars for some of the big and middle guys.
    Members of theFret will get a big discount on the first run, right?
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak3D
    Members of theFret will get a big discount on the first run, right?
    Members of the Fret are my friends so will of course get a phenomenal deal. Free guitar and a case of beer thrown in as well. All you have to do is pay for
    shipping and um... handling charges...

Post Thanks / Like

Members of the Fret are my friends so will of course get a phenomenal deal. Free guitar and a case of beer thrown in as well. All you have to do is pay for

sign me up for that DEAL

Post Thanks / Like

I like those first two a lot.

I think I might have trouble playing this brand at my church gigs though.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the feeling I'm going to end up with a Hell guitar added to the arsenal.

What kind of pickups are you going to put in them?
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    I like those first two a lot.

I think I might have trouble playing this brand at my church gigs though.
    Actually Brian, understanding the size of the worship market, I've come up with the idea of a logo mod kit. "Deluxe" $49.99 kit gets you an Ichthus (Christian fish symbol) decal that fits perfectly over the "Hell" logo. "Standard" ($29.99) kit gets you the lower case letter "o" to turn your logo from inappropriate to downright friendly. Of course it might just be easier (and cheaper) to go buy something else...

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak3D
    I get the feeling I'm going to end up with a Hell guitar added to the arsenal.

What kind of pickups are you going to put in them?
    The pickups are as of yet undecided. The prototypes will ship with Wilkinsons.
    This first round is to determine physical design issues like weight distribution/balance. Also structural integrity and workmanship. After I receive them, I'll try them out and then have them taken apart by a luthier to discover any issues and then also try to determine which pickups might be most suitable. For the semi hollow model I really want to try the Seymour Duncan SH-2n/14 combination I have in my Edwards 335 copy.

Actually I would be very interested in any recommendations from the fretters on what they think might be suitable for any of these models. If I wind up actually trying to market these I will probably want some reasonably priced (but good quality) name pickups. For myself I do want one with the seymours and perhaps another model with some P-Rails.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the one inspired by the 335. Reminds me of my first electric. A nice cherry sunburst should do well. But then natural would be killer too.

Keep up the good work.
    -- Joe --
    Guitars:
    Gibson: '08 Longhorn DC HS
    Martin: '09 OM-1
    Ovation: '07 Elite-T 1868T; '95 Celebrity Deluxe CC257; '95 Balladeer 1751 12-string
    Fender: '91 Stratocaster Plus; '69 Mustang Competition; '08 Squier Telecaster CV50
    Other: '77 Bradley Les Paul Custom; '03 Michael Kelly Patriot Q
    Bass: '08 Dean EABC
    Effects:
    MXR Dyna Comp; Dunlop Crybaby; DOD TR3R; Ibanez MT10; Rockman Soloist
    Amps:
    Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr.; Peavey Studio Pro 110; Tascam MP-GT1

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast