Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Hell Guitars - Page 12
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell Guitars

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Duffy! Thanks alot for the input from your experience. You make some good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Syo, one thing I like in a T shirt is a small graphic over the pocket. I like a pocket in them. I have designed a few decent T shirts for various purposes. In addition I like the big graphic on the back instead of the front.
    I've approached my shirt designs just like my guitars. I design things that I personally want to wear (or play). All of the T-shirts I wear are largish images in front with no pockets (so I guess I lost one customer already ). To me they are created more as art/fashion pieces rather than advertising. I've even sketched a few ideas where there is no mention of my company except on the label.

The T shirt can be a lot more than just a legal necessity.
    That was just a bad joke on my part...

I also think they look better in a color other than plain white, even grey or red or black. I usually don't go overboard with more than one color and make sure that I have abundant quantities in the most desirable sizes, especially extra large, because of shrinkage, especially with the cheaper T shirts.
    Yes I largely agree with you Duffy, I plan to do color shirts and some color designs as well. I do like black quite alot though. I plan on creating alot of short runs of many different designs. I have a terrific screen print co. who can do this affordably for me.

What is your target demographic by the way, if you don't mind me asking?
    Not at all. It's a very good question and one I don't have a definite answer for. I have done zero market testing whatsoever. I (almost literally) plan to toss the guitars/shirts/other stuff to the wind and see where they fall. The guitars are not entry level so they'll probably skew past the youngsters but we'll see where it goes. As you can see the T-shirt designs pretty much run from young to older. There was quite purposefully no attempt to reach a certain market. I just want to follow my inspiration and leave it to the tastes (and pocketbooks) of the market. After 20+ years of art directing other people's projects I am having the time of my life creating products for my own pleasure and offering them to the market. Whether or not I get to continue long term of course will depend on whether anyone wants to pay for it. For me, it is exciting and intimidating at the same time. Mostly exciting though...

Again, best wishes in your substantial endeavor. It is highly interesting to watch you share your quest with us. We can almost feel your ups and downs. I've never seen such a revealing insight into a mfg'ing pursuit of any type. Thanks for opening that window to your cool project.
    Really thanks alot Duffy. I have really appreciated the support from yourself and some other very good folks here. Looking back at the past year and a half, I feel that I was very stupid to think that I could do such a thing (but very glad that I did!).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    I could really use a nice warm Hell hat. ;-)
    Sean, I hadn't thought about designing for Hell Hats but it sounds too catchy not to try...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo View Post
    This is really cool! What do the Kanji (is it Kanji? I'm not sure of the proper name) characters say?

The little devils remind me of statues I saw at the San Francisco Asian Art museum that had some really wicked Japanese good/evil demons/gods.

These would make cool hats and stickers too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    This is really cool! What do the Kanji (is it Kanji? I'm not sure of the proper name) characters say?
    Thanks don! The Kanji represents earth, water, fire and air (wind literally). The four "elements" of all matter as explained by the ancient Greeks and alchemists. I've always liked alchemical illustration and symbols and sometimes include them in my work. I liked the ideas of the figures representing the creative elements.

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    The little devils remind me of statues I saw at the San Francisco Asian Art museum that had some really wicked Japanese good/evil demons/gods.
    I suppose it does. As I was drawing it however I was thinking, "these guys are like the Pep Boys from Hell." I always liked the way the Pep Boys were rendered...

Post Thanks / Like

Well finally getting some hardware pics up. Was knocked out sick this past week and have gotten a bit behind. Very frustrating week it was. Glad to be back...

Here's an uber close-up of the toggle knob and a couple of the volume knobs on the Bender model. They are chromed brass. Not too heavy though as the vol/tone knobs have plastic inserts to attach to the pots. Really nice feel to them. The toggle switch knob is vintage style. Was rather hard to find.

Here are a few more shots with more of the bigger picture:

I'll try to get a few more shots up tomorrow or the next.
    As always, comments, observations appreciated. Thanks!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Syo, things are looking great I must say!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

SYO, those are beautiful. You are really doing it up right. LOVE the knobs and the switch tip. Hard to believe someone could come up with something unique AND appealing, but you're really hitting it out of the park.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    SYO, those are beautiful. You are really doing it up right. LOVE the knobs and the switch tip. Hard to believe someone could come up with something unique AND appealing, but you're really hitting it out of the park.
    What Tio said! Great work!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you posted a close up of those knobs, I was wondering how they'd look. I love 'em!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Liking that...looking forward to seeing a full photo of the red one!

Am I right in assuming that the Bender's a 24.75" scale length?
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good man, looking REAL good!

Post Thanks / Like

It has been awhile but what humbuckers and or other pups are you using again????

Bareknuckles???
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Man, that black Bender is some kinda sexy. Kinda hard to type, as I am wiping away drool at the same time. Great job, syo, and folks will be lining up to purchase those bad boys!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat View Post
    It has been awhile but what humbuckers and or other pups are you using again????

Bareknuckles???
    Hey mudcat. Yeah, right now we're using Bare Knuckles exclusively. I was thinking to offer a cheaper model with Wilkinsons but frankly they are very different guitars without the BKs. I am working on a hollowbody design that will probably be equipped with something from TV Jones. But nothing imminent.

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    Man, that black Bender is some kinda sexy. Kinda hard to type, as I am wiping away drool at the same time. Great job, syo, and folks will be lining up to purchase those bad boys!
    Wow, Kat, thanks. It sure would be nice to see folks lining up that's for sure. I have been hunkering down in the Hell bunker working on the big opening. I'm shooting for mid-April. That's when the website will be ready and the nice tweed hard cases delivered. Must say, I'm a little nervous. I've been doing this (unintentionally) prolonged striptease on The Fret for some time now. Just hope when the last reveal is over, the goods will be appreciated. I'm happy with the way things are going and hope others will be happy too.

Speaking of striptease, I'll post the last pictures before the website is up.

Since you mentioned the Black Bender, Kat, here's the blackest Bender with uncovered BK Black Dog pickups and black speed knobs.

Here are a couple shots of the off-white Zero Dot. This one with Irish Tour singles and Nailbomb bucker.

Also, along with the some T-shirt designs I have also designed some baseball jerseys. These are two protypes made by Ebbet's Field Flannels. They have their own line and they also have made throwback jerseys for some Major League teams. It is my plan to offer a whole line of Hell products to help subsidize the guitar costs. With fluctuations in currencies, taxes and ever rising labor costs, I figure I could better keep guitar prices stable if I have other revenue supporting them. Perhaps this is not of interest to those of you following along, but it's part of what I'm doing (it's also part of why I've gotten behind!). Anyway, here's a couple of jersey shots taken from the Ebbet's Field workshop before the felts were sewn. I just received them a couple of days ago. They turned out nice.

Post Thanks / Like

That Zero Dot is awesome! And I really, really dig those jerseys! Awesome work, syo!! I can't wait for the unveiling!!

Post Thanks / Like

The more I see of them, the more I like your body shapes and cosmetics, SYO - really nice design work! I often find myself looking at guitars and wondering why the HELL no one has come up with any interesting variations in so long - you've done it!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

I agree...TJ!!!! The jerseys are cool as hell !!!! ( I also like the t shirt with the.kanji on them and the headstock logo also looks killah ) No play on words!!;;;;;;;; The b.k.'s are really worth it brother I would keep them!!!I will buy a black bender with black chrome covered pups,black switch tip and a ebony fretboard and speed knobs!!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Man, that merchandise looks sweet! Can't afford a guitar, but are any of those jerseys etc. available to buy? That I might be able to afford...and especially that blue jersey would make a real cool and unique (for now at least) shirt to wear on gigs and just all round as summer shirt.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! Tj, I really appreciate your comments on the design. I won't bore you with my process, but I invested alot of time, thought and effort (not to mention money...) into getting designs that worked for me. Both aesthetically and functionally speaking. Nice to hear that it works for someone other than just me!

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    Man, that merchandise looks sweet! Can't afford a guitar, but are any of those jerseys etc. available to buy? That I might be able to afford...and especially that blue jersey would make a real cool and unique (for now at least) shirt to wear on gigs and just all round as summer shirt.
    Well deeaa, I'm afraid in the short term, these are the only jerseys I have right now and they didn't come cheap. My cost for the jerseys is $150. Each. The company that makes them typically sell their jerseys for $200 apiece. They are all made to order in the US from authentic wool flannel like in the old days. However, I am thinking to have them made much more cheaply elsewhere. My initial estimates are for a retail price around $40 - $50. Of course these will not be made to order and will be cotton but they should look/wear fine. Another option for you deeaa, could be an endorsement deal. The Spookbox frontman wearing a Hell jersey might work for me.

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast