Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Beer you say? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer you say?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I like the beer I make, . . .

Actually it's easier for me to say the beer styles I don't like. Obviously I don't much care for American mega stuff, although a Leinies isn't 1/2 bad in a pinch. I also don't really like Bavarian wheat beers. Not a fan of cloves, unfortunately.
    I wish I had more time for making beer. Maybe I will find some more time soon. Fall is always a good time for brewing. I have never seen or tasted a Leinies. I will have to see if they have any 'round here.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have to go with Shiner's selection - Shiner and Sam Adams.

I am not a drinker and only occasionally do I drink beer - that is where Shiner and I differ.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I would have to go with Shiner's selection - Shiner and Sam Adams.
    [laugh] actually, our last trip to houston brought in another shiner pavlovian drool stimulus... st arnold's ipa... currently only available in tx... and our local grocery store only caries the elissa, of which he has become deeply fond. [to the point of being despondent if there's none in the case]
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I like ale. I am weak for Guiness. Sam Adams is pretty good. My new favorite is Tank House Ale, from Toronto.

Ya'll should try this one http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/st-ambr...out/839/92057/
    St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout. Wicked!
    +2 on the St. Ambroise, Robert! My wife is from Montreal and when we drive up to visit family, I usually take some home with me (St. Ambroise, not family)...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I like the beer I make, although the Oatmeal Stout I made just ran out. I made a Duessedorfer-style Altbier that was to die for. Generally speaking I prefer heavier/more bitter beers and then enjoy them for a good long while. I've always got to mind my Ps and Qs of course, especially since I'm on call 24/7. Sometimes I make a low-gravity beer like a Mild or Ordinary Bitter for all that beery goodness yet with low alcohol.

Rather than favorite beers, my favorite style are:
    Duesseldorfer-style Altbier (e.g. Zum Uerige)
    IPA (I make one briefly titled "Lion Fan in Packerland Extremely Bitter IPA")
    Doppelbock (Paulaner Salvator will be the beer on tap in heaven)
    Barleywine/Imperial Stout
    Tripel (Chimay White aka Cinq Cents)
    Lambics, especially Gueuze or Kriek (Boon Mariage Parfait is wonderful but almost impossible to find anymore)--generally speaking Lambic tends to be the one beer style that even beer geeks don't like. It's not for the faint of palate.
    Bohemian Pilsner (Pilsner Urquell or Budvar/Czechvar)

Actually it's easier for me to say the beer styles I don't like. Obviously I don't much care for American mega stuff, although a Leinies isn't 1/2 bad in a pinch. I also don't really like Bavarian wheat beers. Not a fan of cloves, unfortunately.
    Oh, nice, good to see other homebrewers here. Didn't know that you brewed, Marnold and Sunvalley. I had been out of the hobby for about 8-9 years and picked it back up this past year. There was a bit of a curve in getting my skills going again, but I've been very pleased with a few of my recent brews. Having a little fridge for my kegs has helped the motivation, too. I love pale ales and IPAs, along with lots of other British styles, but recently did my first low-gravity (well, my first *intentionally* low gravity) bitter. MMMmmm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I have never seen or tasted a Leinies. I will have to see if they have any 'round here.
    It's a relatively large regional brewery out of Chippewa Falls, WI. I believe Miller distributes them, but I'm not sure how far out of the Midwest it gets. It's actual name is Leinenkugel. Here's their website: http://www.leinie.com
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I used to drink Leinenkugel on occasion when I lived in Chicago several years back. It is a local favorite there, but nothing I would go out of my way to find.

Post Thanks / Like

Generally, I agree for commercial Weizen, though I bet there are some amazing homebrews out there in that style. I tried a Sierra Nevada Weizen (Kellerweiss) a week or two ago, and it was quite good on a hot summer eve!
    I think that's the thing: they're not bad if you're really hot. Unfortunately, I usually interpret that as meaning I don't actually care for the taste.

Even the most authentic hefeweizens out there (Weinstephaner, Paulaner) aren't ones I'd choose. Then again, that applies to a lot of other styles (e.g. most belgians, most beers darker than a brown ale) as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Lincoln, UK. Probably at the V-Power pump. Again!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    I'm glad to see we don't have any Coors Light fans here. If I want to drink warm piss, I can make my own.
    HaHaHa

I know I'm gonna be in the minority here, but I very like bud And at the moment, there is a case of Coors Light keeping my case of bud company in my beer fridge in the garage. Along with the rose wine and rose bubbly, of course

I love a cold bud because it's refreshing and I can drink a whole lake of the stuff, whereas with most beer, I find that after 5 or 6 or 8 pints the taste of it just gets too much and turns me off. Don't get me wrong, I like just about any beer. Except wheat beer! My fave german beer has got to be tsingtao, hehehe

I'm also very partial to a Gin and Tonic with a chunk of lime. Yummy. Bombay Sapphire is tasty, no?

Alcohol is one of my best friends. Red wine. Vodka and Coke. Cointreau and ice. Pastis and water. Jaeger bombs. Port. I'm salivating.
    Translucent red Ibanez Artcore AFS75T archtop semi : Rotosound Roto Blues (10-52)
    Black/white Yamaha Pacifica 112V : Rotosound Roto Yellows (10-46)
    NEW - VOX Valvetronix VT30 with VFS5 foot-switches
    Crate V5 - 5 Watt valve amp voiced by 10" Jensen speaker
    KORG Pandora Toneworks PX4D effects gizmo
    Sensei called Johnny
    Oriental red sunburst Yamaha APX700 electro-acoustic

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant
    -snip-
    Alcohol is one of my best friends. Red wine. Vodka and Coke. Cointreau and ice. Pastis and water. Jaeger bombs. Port. I'm salivating.
    Ah, mine too! There shan't be a day without at least a beer :-)

Last night I enjoyed a pint of light local lager, a shot of warm Ballantines whisky and a sip of sweet Heinie cognac to finish it. Yummm!

I usually like beers, cognac, Jaegermeister and good russian vodka, in that order.
    But my favorite alcohol is of course free alcohol...as long as it's wet and alcoholic, I'm interested!

...but never drink and drive! At all!
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Kirin, but it's getting harder and harder to find.
    Even at Japanese restaurants.
    And on top all that, it's brewed here in LA.

What's caught fire here in So Cali over the past 4 years, and we've seen more and more of in NYC is Stella:

I still like Michelob on tap.
    But talk about hard to find,,,
    Make Kindness a constant presence in your life

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Stella Artois is pretty good, yeah, especially locally.

Like Becks and most any beers it however tastes different in bottles bought somewhere else than the originating country. When I was briefly in Belgium I drank a lot of Stella and also Jupiler from the tap and it was great, especially Jupiler...and in Germany I drank a lot of Becks, also draught...but upon returning home they just don't taste the same in bottles sold here.

It is my understanding that most of the 'imported' beers, just like Coca Cola aren't actually imported but made where they are sold, under licences and strict supervision of course, but still made locally, not actually shipped overseas...so now wonder if there are minute details in the tastes.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    When I was briefly in Belgium I drank a lot of Stella and also Jupiler from the tap and it was great, especially Jupiler...
    I can remember when you could get Jupiler from vending machines in Belgian petrol stations. It was usually next to the frites machine, the one with the mayonnaise button
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Stella Artois' marketing exceeds its recipe quality, IMO. It has the cachet of being a Belgian beer, yet there are so many Belgian beers and beer styles with much more character and complexity than Stella. Not knocking it for people that like it, but hopefully Stella leads people to venture into other Belgian beers. In drug czar terms, it could be the "gateway beer".

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have had Stella, but I guess don't get it. Maybe I am too used to homebrews and craft beers with more specific gravity. If I am going to drink something that light, I might as well go cheap it seems to me.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I have had Stella, but I guess don't get it. Maybe I am too used to homebrews and craft beers with more specific gravity. If I am going to drink something that light, I might as well go cheap it seems to me.
    +1

Lincoln, UK. Probably at the V-Power pump. Again!
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Trailer Park Casanova]

[QUOTE]

Ahaaa

Nicknamed "wife-beater" here in UK - due to its 5% potency I guess...
    Translucent red Ibanez Artcore AFS75T archtop semi : Rotosound Roto Blues (10-52)
    Black/white Yamaha Pacifica 112V : Rotosound Roto Yellows (10-46)
    NEW - VOX Valvetronix VT30 with VFS5 foot-switches
    Crate V5 - 5 Watt valve amp voiced by 10" Jensen speaker
    KORG Pandora Toneworks PX4D effects gizmo
    Sensei called Johnny
    Oriental red sunburst Yamaha APX700 electro-acoustic

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ahaaa

Nicknamed "wife-beater" here in UK - due to its 5% potency I guess...
    What do you mean, are beers in UK usually much milder? I thought all beers are 4,5-7%? I usually drink Karhu which has 4,7 though.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

deeaa - lagers that you'll normally find in UK pubs are Carling, Becks, Fosters, Heineken which are all around the 4% mark with Stella and Kronenberg being the more potent 5% and above. Draught beers usually start around 4% and go upwards too (we would generally use the term beer to cover bitters and ales).

We sell a cider called Old Rosie in the pub I work at, which is 8%...we generally have to carry people home when they drink that

Bottled or canned lagers and beers tend to be a bit stronger than what we have on draught in the pub. I don't know if the draught beers are regulated on purpose, but we have a real pub culture here - you could come to the pub and drink every night over here without anyone casting aspersions over the amount you drink, pubs are very much accepted social environments. When my friend's girlfriend moved here from Tasmania she couldn't believe how much we went to the pub. People drinking to get trashed really only happens on Friday/Saturday nights.

I recently tried Asahi, a Japanese lager which was delicious. At the moment though, my favourite beer is Fiddler's Elbow which is made by the Hobgoblin Brewery

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast