Thread: Who is Jack White?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who is Jack White?

...who Jack White is? I didn't know where to put this post so if it's not in the right place forgive me.

I saw the movie Cold Mountain again this weekend and as I watched I exclaimed HEY there's Jack White. He played some mandolin playin' character on the movie and I recognized his face and the fact that he was playing a mandolin....I don't even know the guy or what he does! I just remember his face from one of the guitar mags I had. What does he do? Anyone know?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

He plays guitar and sings in The White Stripes.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    He plays guitar and sings in The White Stripes.
    He also produced Loretta Lynn's last album "Van Lear Rose", while not a huge commercial success (radio-wise - big surprise) it was critically aclaimed as some of Ms. Lynn's best work in years.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Tone, try to get hold of the White Stripes album "Under Blackpool Lights". They play a fantastic version of Jolene! Only drums & electric guitar!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Tone, try to get hold of the White Stripes album "Under Blackpool Lights". They play a fantastic version of Jolene! Only drums & electric guitar!
    You mean the Dolly Parton song?

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, here is the video (oh no a Youtube video )

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M8LEx8DfMf4
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Yup, here is the video (oh no a Youtube video )

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M8LEx8DfMf4
    The rockin' part of the song is pretty cool. Love that drum beat with the song. His singing is a little funky though. Maybe the girl should have sang the song? heh And as my daughter would say (about his guitar)..."that is so punk rock!"

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget that Jack is now fronting The Raconteurs band with mucho success as well.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Don't forget that Jack is now fronting The Raconteurs band with mucho success as well.
    Since this question was raised I've been reading about this guy and ran into that bit of news along the way.

Ok so....The White Stripes is a band comprised of Jack and his ex-wife? 2 members? Guitar and drums thats it? Interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Since this question was raised I've been reading about this guy and ran into that bit of news along the way.

Ok so....The White Stripes is a band comprised of Jack and his ex-wife? 2 members? Guitar and drums thats it? Interesting.
    Either that or his sister, I think that's the way they originally billed it, but then some documents surfaced that pointed to the fact that they were once married... who knows

I haven't seen them live, but apparently they put on quite a show with just drums and guitar. Not a huge fan, but from everything I've read on the man he is a very underated (or maybe just understated) guitar player.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    Either that or his sister, I think that's the way they originally billed it, but then some documents surfaced that pointed to the fact that they were once married... who knows

I haven't seen them live, but apparently they put on quite a show with just drums and guitar. Not a huge fan, but from everything I've read on the man he is a very underated (or maybe just understated) guitar player.

...or maybe he's just "misunderstood."

Post Thanks / Like

Meg was Jacks wife. Now she's just his drummer. How ironic.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Meg was Jacks wife. Now she's just his drummer. How ironic.
    What's ironic is that not only did he take his ex-wifes surname as his own when they got married...his kid that he had from another woman (presumably his new wife) now has the last name as White. Thats crazy man!