Thread: Going from blues to shred?

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Going from blues to shred?

Hey Guys,

Quick question. I've been playing blues style soloing for quit some time now. Mainly slow hand or shuffle type blues. I love the blues but I also want to transition into more of a Vai/Satch/Slash/Tremonti style of shredding.

My Issue, I'm so used to playing slow hand that I can't:

1. Divide the beats of a measure more than 4th to 8th notes. I want to play
    16ths and 32nd notes including triplets.

2. I get lost using a metronome and can't tell if I'm on beat.

3. Don't know what scales to use for this style other than maj/min pent, and maj/min scales.

Any advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello!

Use the search function, Robert (aka vein master flash) and other members have posted lessons that probably could help you out.
    I also think that the rockinĀ“rev Marnold has some tips about books (Metal method?)
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hulder
    1. Divide the beats of a measure more than 4th to 8th notes. I want to play 16ths and 32nd notes including triplets.
    That's a common complaint. Remember that you won't be a shredder in a day. Rather than divide up into 16ths, crank up the metronome and play with each click at first. If you can't play it cleanly, you can't play it. Back off a bit and work your way up. The nice thing about a metronome is that you have automatic feedback on how your improving. Even if you only got one bpm faster, that's still improvement!

2. I get lost using a metronome and can't tell if I'm on beat.
    Then slow down Record yourself with the metronome or a click track. You might think you're off or spot on. The recording won't lie.

3. Don't know what scales to use for this style other than maj/min pent, and maj/min scales.

Any advice?
    Phrygian and Dorian are other big ones besides minor/Aeolian. Harmonic minor comes in quite a bit too.

I would suggest checking out Metal Method and also some of Michael Angelo Batio's DVDs for more help on that.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

and a pointy guitar! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    and a pointy guitar! Sumi
    ...And practice your "metal face"!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    crank up the metronome and play with each click at first. If you can't play it cleanly, you can't play it. Back off a bit and work your way up.

This man speaketh the truth.

I have the Paul Gilbert Intense Rock, and although its pretty full-on, he does play each example nice and slow and the tab is clear at the bottom of the screen. Tremonti has said that if it wasnt for Intense Rock and other Paul Gilbert stuff, he wouldnt be able to play as fast as he does right now.