Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Gibson to introduce a Hendrix guitar - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gibson to introduce a Hendrix guitar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Let's dig a little deeper

This different article provides a bit more info:
    http://www.guitarworld.com/article/gibson_amp_authentic_hendrix_announce_3_new_hendri x_guitars

From the article:
    "Authentic Hendrix LLC, a Jimi Hendrix Family Company"
    -This sounds to me like various relatives of Jimi have wisely incorporated his estate.

"The effort is also part of preserving his legacy so that generations to come could develop and appreciate his techniques and musicianship."
    -Now we're getting into the cash cow department.

"every guitarist – from the beginner to the seasoned player – can find his or her inner Hendrix with this package. The “Experience” package will come with an official “Jimi Hendrix signature electric guitar” and all the necessary accessories and some fun extras including a Jimi Hendrix Signature “Voodoo Child” amplifier, a Foxey Fuzz pedal, a deluxe padded gig bag, an instructional DVD, an electronic tuner, two guitar cables, a Hendrix inspired strap, three picks and a USB drive containing exclusive Hendrix media content. In addition consumers will receive a Hendrix inspired tie-dyed tee-shirt and bandana. True to its name, this guitar package will give the music enthusiast the ultimate Hendrix experience. MSRP $449.99 USD. "
    -Lots of catchy buzz words for marketing, but all this for only $449? I'm guessing the cheapest Squier Affinity Strat might kick this guitar's ***.
    Look further down the article... There's two cheaper packages of $332 and $249!

Janie Hendrix, Jimi’s sister and CEO of Authentic Hendrix: “It was our own idea to approach Gibson in the beginning after the positive experiences we’d had with the Flying V’s that they made based on Jimi’s guitar some years back. Our excitement inspired their excitement, and here we are, creating these new branded musical instruments. This is just the tip of the iceberg.”
    -If I comment on this BS, I might gag.
    Last edited by Tig; September 23rd, 2009 at 10:26 AM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

OOPS TO LATE TIG
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Considering by choice Jimi lived a very humble/dare I say poor lifestyle........as do alot of working musicians.............I am conflicted emotionally on extended Hendrix family cashing in.......but if not ......other corparate greed types will most certainly do so...........and have:

Lets get back to the actual fun making music.......atleast for me and mine it isnt about the money we play for the pure bliss.:

Not that I am a hater on making money ....these days you have to survive:

Peace & Luv Fo -Sho..........Mud
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Its just friggin' wrong!

Gibson sues everyone for copying their guitars.
    Fender loses their case for body shape copyright.
    And who is the first in line at the money grab.
    -- Joe --
    Guitars:
    Gibson: '08 Longhorn DC HS
    Martin: '09 OM-1
    Ovation: '07 Elite-T 1868T; '95 Celebrity Deluxe CC257; '95 Balladeer 1751 12-string
    Fender: '91 Stratocaster Plus; '69 Mustang Competition; '08 Squier Telecaster CV50
    Other: '77 Bradley Les Paul Custom; '03 Michael Kelly Patriot Q
    Bass: '08 Dean EABC
    Effects:
    MXR Dyna Comp; Dunlop Crybaby; DOD TR3R; Ibanez MT10; Rockman Soloist
    Amps:
    Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr.; Peavey Studio Pro 110; Tascam MP-GT1

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Thoroughly disgusting.

I fully expect this sort of crap from the vultures at "Authentic Hendrix," who would apparently do just about anything to wring another dollar out of Jimi's corpse.

Shame on Gibson.

Post Thanks / Like

Should'nt they make a Dick Cavett special SG or a Isle of Wight Festival Flyin V...

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by mrmudcat; September 23rd, 2009 at 02:34 PM.
    Duane Skydog Allman

Post Thanks / Like

Of course there could always be the Jimi Hendrix sick bag. Just supply your own drugs and wine...... maybe that's a little sick!

Post Thanks / Like

How about the EVH banjo?

Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak3D
    New for Christmas...The Eric Clapton Signature Vendetta by Dean Guitars!!

I laughed hard at that

Dave Mustaine doing rhythm backing for a Clapton eyes-shut solo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    How about the EVH banjo?

:
    Duane Skydog Allman

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just going to sit back and hold out for the Angus Young Telecaster.

I think the best thing that could happen in cases like this when companies and families are obviously cashing in on the dead is for the public to simply ignore the product. Don't buy it and speak without using your wallet. Obviously most of us think this is bunk so we should all stand behind that right? I have a Strat for sale.:

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess since there are images of him playing a Gibson they decided to run with it and cash in MONEY RULES ALL.

Most folks know he PUT STRATS on the must have wish list for most strat players wanting that authentic Hendrix sound.

I found picture of Bootsy Collins playing a Fender Jazz Bass but we all know
    his space bass creation is his signature sound and axe.

Same goes for Jimi and the STRAT its his signature sound and axe.

Maxi................. LONG LIVE JIMI HENDRIX

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I have very mixed feelings about it. The whole marketing effort using his "rights" just turns me off a bit. Gibson paid more to the folks with the "rights" to his work?

So he played some Gibsons some times. He still was not primarily a Gibson player, and his iconic images and sounds come straight from strat land. Interesting that the only photo of Jimi holding a gutiar in the "Gibson Lifestyle" article itself is a pic of him and the back of a strat with the back cover off, and the top horn with the strap peg clearly visible. LOL!
    I had mixed feelings as stated above when I thought it was actually a Gibson model they would be using. Now that I see the strat copy they are coming out with, my feelings are not mixed at all. Lame. Just lame. This company that supposedly represents the legal "rights" to his name sues people like the folks that came out with the Hendrix vodka (which was also lame) but this is just as bad. Like some others said, just because you can legally do something doesn't mean you should. That Gibson can get away with doing a strat copy does not make it right, and cheapens the company's reputation in my mind. I do not think Mr. Paul would have liked this very much either.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Time for Fender to make a Les Paul copy. Gibson crossed the line.
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Washburn Idol 64 DL w/GFS Dream 180 pups
    Washburn X-33 w/GFS 60's-70's Grey Bottom Non Stagger Overwound
    Stagg G300 SG w/GFS Power Rails
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak3D
    Time for Fender to make a Les Paul copy. Gibson crossed the line.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Should I give up my dream of a Les Paul Strat?

Post Thanks / Like

I realize that Gibson is in a very competitive business, but this guitar is definitely over the line.

A pseudo Strat copy built by Gibson..........................that is just wrong on too many levels...............
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Gibson have obviously forgotten the complete commercial failure that was their Victory (sort of super strat) model. Mind you, the Les Paul wasn't that successful first time around so who knows?
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast