Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New amp, need recommendations

Thread: New amp, need recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Default New amp, need recommendations

Hi!

I need to upgrade my gear, and I`d like to start with a new amp. I`ve been playing on a 50w transistor marshall, but I really want to change to a tube amp. I use a Gibson SG, and I mostly play music like, Stones, White stripes, Sabbath, Neil Young etc... When it comes to tube amps and guitargear I`m a total Newbie, so I hope you can give me some tips about amps (and maybe pedals)..

Post Thanks / Like

What will be the major use of the amp? Playing at home? Jamming with friends? Gigging in noisy bars? I assume not the latter if you're a "total Newbie", as you mentioned.

Also, what's your price range target?
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of variables. Do you have ambitions of playing out with it?
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

A budget and idea of size would be good.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Vox Night Train. Yep.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

just get a Diezel VH4S.

Dont worry about the cost. because its the ultimate in awesomeness.
    Guitars: Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, Ibanez Talman TC420, Guitar built by yours truly
    Pedals: Digitech DF7, Digitech EX7, Ibanez WH10, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX The Worm, Arion DDM-1, Digitech XBW
    Amp: Marshall MG100HDFX + MG412
    www.myspace.com/ragnarpk

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to gear, I`m a total newbie..I`ve never really bothered about that, but now I `m playing with friends in a basement, and amps really makes a difference.. Mostly I will use it for rehersals with the band, but maybe some day we will play for other people.. hmmm

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Crate V50 that is...discontinued, but that works great. Your current sizing of 50w and (I'm guessing) 1 x 12" is probably sufficient for your needs. I would think that most applications that would require more volume than that will have a house PA anyway.

Without knowing your budget, you might want to consider a used Fender Blues Junior. You might be able to score one for around $300. Yeah it's only 15w, but that's 15w of class A, so it's a lot louder than you might think.

I've heard good things about Behringer amps when it comes to bang for the buck, and people around here love Vox Valvetronix amps. Just some ideas...

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought 1 of these to down size my rig.Its 60W 2x12 combo has a good range of sounds , I see them on ebay for like $500-600 all the time .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VoodoChild
    I just bought 1 of these to down size my rig.Its 60W 2x12 combo has a good range of sounds , I see them on ebay for like $500-600 all the time .
    Looks like a great amp. The only thing about Marshalls like that is I find it super hard to dial in nice tones at a low volume. I've found they tend to be super bright. If you're looking at something to play at a pants shaking volume, this would be badass!!

If you got that amp for 6 hundz I'd be very jealous...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you'd be best served by finding a Crate Vintage Club 30 w/2X12s.
    They can be found cheap and are awesome all-round rock/country/jazz/whatever amps.
    But keep it secret...