Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Modeling Amps Should I Look At?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which Modeling Amps Should I Look At?

Hello,

This might be something of a newbie question, but I thought it might fit in under the modeling amps section.

I've got a Roland Cube 15x, my first amp. Since I got it (at a garage sale so there weren't others to try out) I've discovered the Cube 30x has quite a bit more. Then I got to looking around and have seen that other amps can simulate the sounds of many varieties of amps. The Vox Valvetronix VT30, the Peavey Vypyr, and the Fender G-DEC.

15 watts is really all I need, but it seems you have to get 30w to get the options I want. In fact, the "power squeeze" on the Roland is very nice for my wife who doesn't like me to get too loud. I'd like various amp selections and also effects. Since I'm new to playing the guitar, this seems a good way to get acquainted with different effects before buying any pedals.

So finally, my question is, what do you suggest? Am I missing any major amps I should be looking at? I hope to get to a store (that's an hour away) and try some out, but I'd like to have an idea what to look at before I get there since I won't have a whole lot of time. Also there's a Vypyr on Craigslist for $160US. http://joplin.craigslist.org/msg/1401204125.html Thanks.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd get the Vox Valvetronix VT30, but all you have mentioned are good. It is simple a matter of personal preference in the end.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest , i would go for a all tube 15w amp rather than a digital effects laden amp. The trouble with buying a cheap amp is that you will hear a real amp and wish the had the same. I started with a vox VT30 which is a decent digital amp, then after hearing the all tube fender blues jr had to buy one.

Depending on the music you play just buy a delay,wah and overdrive and you cant go wrong.

or you could try the VOX AC4 TV8 Guitar Amp Combo, which is all tube.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitartango
    To be honest , i would go for a all tube 15w amp rather than a digital effects laden amp. The trouble with buying a cheap amp is that you will hear a real amp and wish the had the same. I started with a vox VT30 which is a decent digital amp, then after hearing the all tube fender blues jr had to buy one.

True, but isn't that the natural progression of gear acquisition to start with?

For the OP, I think a modeling amp would be a great way to explore sounds, develop styles, and begin to form his owns tastes as he explores the art. He won't have to buy a bunch of stomp boxes as he samples the effects............and he gets a taste for the different effects.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

I share Plank's thoughts. Been there, done that. Started w/ old Traynor TS15 > Epi VJ > VT30 > Blues Jr. + various pedals > back to Vox w/VT50

Post Thanks / Like

I´ve gone from various tube and quality SS amps and couldnt be happier with my VT50.. sure all models aint that great but just crank that ac50 model and the tube goodness just wash over you leaving you soaked with high quality tone.. and happy.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guitartango

Depending on the music you play just buy a delay,wah and overdrive and you cant go wrong.

or you could try the VOX AC4 TV8 Guitar Amp Combo, which is all tube.
    Ayh, they are nice...but few people can use a 15W toob amp at levels it needs be used...

I usually use my Ceria in 18W mode and it's LOUD so that it will cut thru and even drown even loudest drummers...on gigs I always get soundmen asking to turn the damned thing down. Seriously, it's just as loud as a 100W head with a little less inefficient speakers. And WAY louder than the other guitarist's 120W(or 100W? I think 120W) Line6 could ever be. I used to have a 15W 'boutique' tube amph as well, and that too was plenty loud for band playing. 15 tube watts is way much for home use. Of course, with a more ineffecient speaker even that can be too little...but even my Valve Jr. could drive a 2x12" loud enough for band playing and it too was so loud anyway that I could never really play it at home properly, even with my L-pad engaged.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I've been very happy with my Fender Super Champ XD over the past couple months. For rock band gigs I have bigger pure tube amps (50W Sovtek Mig 50H, 40W '66 Super Reverb, 60W '60's Sunn 200S), but to use as a stage monitor for our lower-volume praise band at church, the SCXD is really boss. It takes the programming fuss out by simply having a batch (16 iirc) of preset amp voices and digital effects to choose from. For me, I like that kind of simplicity.

Oh, and it has 2 channels, clean and overdrive, and if you buy the $20 foot pedal, you can switch channels on the fly. And since it does have tubes in both power sections, the SCXD does a good job of emulating tube amp tones. 15W, 1x10. I think these were streeting for $300 or so; I found mine like new in a local pawn, got it for $175, and spent another $20 for the foot pedal.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so far everyone. I'll look close at the Vox and add the Fender Super Champ XD to the list. Still open to suggestions, I was hoping to go this weekend, but looks like I will have to wait a few more weeks, so keep the discussion going.
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd consider checking out the Fender Vibro Champ XD (5 watt Class A -plenty loud) for $200 or the Fender Super Champ XD (15 very loud watts) for $300. Play as many amps as you can to get a feel for what you want.

I like my $100 Peavey Vypyr 15, but will likely out grow it as soon as my finances allow (many here know that feeling!). The next higher Vypre 30 has so many more features, like the use of up to 5 effect at a time and a larger speaker (better bass response and headroom), but my next amp will likely be Fender Blues Junior NOS. I'll continue to build more effects pedals and won't be needing the onboard effects of the Vypyr.

I personally don't like the Line 6 Spider 2's and 3's. YMMV
    Last edited by Tig; October 2nd, 2009 at 03:19 PM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Vox or Valve Jr
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

I'd buy a good amp without any dsps and use mfx or single pedals. As your musical tastes changes you change the pedals not the amp.

I have 3 amps with nothing on 'em (2 tubes and an SS bass) but the tone controls. I went through a lot of pedals but still got the amps.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman
    I'd buy a good amp without any dsps and use mfx or single pedals. As your musical tastes changes you change the pedals not the amp.

I have 3 amps with nothing on 'em (2 tubes and an SS bass) but the tone controls. I went through a lot of pedals but still got the amps.
    Ayh, that be good advice.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Lot of guys around here---myself included---like the Vox modeling amps.
    The attenuator knob is great. You can get an amp that's loud enough for a jam, but still sounds good at super-low bedroom volume.
    A couple of the preset amp models are very good, others need EQ tweaks to your liking.
    Having owned SS and tube amps, the Vox responds somewhat like a tube amp on my favorite 80's U.K. crunch setting, playing loud with humbuckers.
    Add just a touch of reverb or a tiny bit of delay, and it really jumps out at you.

Lincoln, UK. Probably at the V-Power pump. Again!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey dude

I'm pretty sure my next purchase is gonna be a Vox VT30. Sure enough, a pure tube amp does make a compelling argument, but at a cost I can't stretch to at the moment. Then add all the pedals, etc..... a big no-no for me at the moment! Maybe in a year or two???

At the moment I'm running a 5 watt tube amp with pretty pleasing tones itself... but I'm prefixing this with my KORG Pandora effects box. While this is a good "home" setup, I'm gonna go with the VT30 for the reasons that 1. It does sound very very tasty in it's own right 2. I'll be able to switch models with a foot switch, rater than stopping playing to manually scroll through settings on my Pandora 3. It can be run at attenuated wattages for the driven effect at lower "home" volumes and 4. It's very reasonably priced 5. It's very reasonably priced.

I think point 4 was so important it needed to be mentioned twice.

Sure I'd love a Fender tube amp just like I play through when I go for lessons, but that would cost 3 times as much. Plus the cost of the pedals. Also, I wouldn't crank up the volume at home like you can in a soundproofed studio (converted detached garage).

Vox VT30 it is for me, then
    Translucent red Ibanez Artcore AFS75T archtop semi : Rotosound Roto Blues (10-52)
    Black/white Yamaha Pacifica 112V : Rotosound Roto Yellows (10-46)
    NEW - VOX Valvetronix VT30 with VFS5 foot-switches
    Crate V5 - 5 Watt valve amp voiced by 10" Jensen speaker
    KORG Pandora Toneworks PX4D effects gizmo
    Sensei called Johnny
    Oriental red sunburst Yamaha APX700 electro-acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Well, being the nut that I am, I got the Vox VT30 and a Fender G-DEC. Haven't had much time with the G-DEC yet, but I only paid $100 for it. Love the Vox.

I understand what some people are saying about getting a tube amp and a few pedals, but here's where I'm at: What the heck is a flanger? Does a phaser have a stun setting? When I read about chorus, it didn't sound like anything I'd be interested in, but now that I actually hear it, it's one of my favorites. This is a learning opportunity and I can always sell my amps for more or close to what I paid for them and move up to a tube amp like the Fender Blues Jr. if that's what I decide to go with. Also, the Blues Jr. is around $400, so I'd have to sell all my amps to get one of those. And I might someday. I'm not boxing myself in. Thanks for all your input. This is a great forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new amps, Retro! Especially that Vox VT30! Great choice!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey congrats! Way to hedge your bet!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Retro Hound! Put the amp in AC50CP mode, everything at noon (expect for reverb and master) and plug in your strat.. best Vox emulation I´ve ever heard

And oh... the metal bull amp is much fun for AC/DC trips!

I wish you a wonderful journey discovering all cool sounds of that amph!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast