Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Studios Shut Down Guitar Lesson Websites

Thread: Studios Shut Down Guitar Lesson Websites

Post Thanks / Like

Default Studios Shut Down Guitar Lesson Websites

It's official... the music industry has gone WAY too far!

Studios Shut Down Guitar Lesson Websites

Next thing you know Robert will be forced to take down his great music lessons from his homepage! I'm so happy the music industry is tanking... they deserve it with practices such as these. It's only a matter of time before artists decide to produce, market, and sell CDs themselves. Modern record companies actions are just unbelievable!
    Last edited by tremoloman; August 30th, 2006 at 11:05 AM.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

This is a shining example of why when I do buy music I go to places like allofmp3.com. While they are legal by Russian law, have a great selection and VERY reasonable prices plus they tick Hollywood off. That alone puts a smile on my face. Sad part most of these Tab sites dont have the $$$ for the legal muscle to fight for themselves.
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Greedy jerks!! And they have the temerity to say they're protecting the songwriters?!?!?! C'mon, we all know the truth here--it's their piece of the pie they're looking to protect! And these sites don't even sell the tabs, so they're clearly not stealing revenue directly. Just ludicrous....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see representatives of the professional music community speak up and tell us what they think. If it were me I'd be flattered that people want to learn my songs and would gladly show them. I'm hoping that guitarists/bassists in the industry feel the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Todays music industry is not about the music at all.. *thumbs down*
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    *shocked* You'd thumb down Steven Tyler?

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Fume

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    I would like to see representatives of the professional music community speak up and tell us what they think. If it were me I'd be flattered that people want to learn my songs and would gladly show them. I'm hoping that guitarists/bassists in the industry feel the same.
    I would suspect that most artists would feel this way. MOST of them started playing and performing for the love of music and/or because they are driven to share their feelings, vision and talent through their art. Not many people decide to become professional musicians because it's a great money-making venture.

I'd be interested to see which came first, TAB notation available on the world wide web through bulletin boards and such, or music books published in TAB rather than standard notation. From what I can remember, TAB started out as a kind of shorthand for guitar teachers and wasn't widely available in published form until it became more popular.

Besides, most of us don't want to shell out for the music for an entire album when we only want to know how to play one or two songs off that album. Assuming we have a music or bookstore anywhere close to us that sells it in the first place (which I for one, don't).

I find it offensive that they claim to have the songwriter's interests in mind. CRAP! Total crap!

SCREW IT! I'll lock myself in my bedroom and figure it out on my own, just like in the good ol' days.

In the meantime, throw your support behind indie artists through sites like www.cdbaby.com. Screw the suits, man!
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is ridiculous. To be honest though, do you think they'd win the case if a website like Robert's challenged their interests?

Post Thanks / Like

*shocked* You'd thumb down Steven Tyler?
    Ehrm... what?
    I would never do THAT!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede

Perhaps we're misunderstanding our meaning of the term industry? I meant artists....ARTISTS. I don't mean white collared conservative business men trying to dress like us.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I meant the men in suits...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know for how much longer, but UltimateGuitar.com is still open for business. Grab the tabs of your favorite songs while you still can!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I msn'd a bunch of tab sites and I haven't run into any posts or warnings about it upon visiting them.....yet anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly how I feel... imitation is the best form of flattery IMHO.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure they don't like my video lessons of popular songs. I would not be surprised if I hear from them laywers...

Good thing I have lots of other videos too! (check out my brand new triads lesson!)
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I'm sure they don't like my video lessons of popular songs. I would not be surprised if I hear from them laywers...

Good thing I have lots of other videos too! (check out my brand new triads lesson!)
    Luckily we are in Canuckistan, Robert. Copyright laws are interpretted somewhat differntly here, especially regarding what's considered "fair use". Here's hoping that's the case anyway and we can all continue to benefit from your considerable skill and wisdom. (Am I a big suck-up or what?).

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

I have an (obvious) suggestion.

Don't ever buy anything from those studios/artists that are so much against the free distribution of musical knowledge!

And let them somehow know you're not...

Post Thanks / Like

This really bugs me too. If you carry this argument to the extreme all guitar teachers should cease and desist because they are teaching their students where to put their fingers and what chords to use to play their favorite songs.

aeolian