Thread: Dunlop Big Stubby Picks

pes_laul Guest

Default Dunlop Big Stubby Picks

I was at the music store today picking up some strings for one of my students guitars and I decided to experiment with some new picks.

One of the ones I decided to try out was a Dunlop Big stubby http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?p...products/picks

Being 2 mm in thickness is a pretty big jump from the green ones I use but after playing with it for a little bit I actually came to liking it. It was pretty easy to play once you got used to it and it gave the guitar a bit bigger sound and stuff. They're a bit pricy going for about 65 cents but I might pick up some more.

Worth trying out

Post Thanks / Like

I like the big stubby too. Good choice. It took me a long time to become brave (smart) enough to try a pick that thick and now I love it.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of Big Stubby's in various thickness and they are my favorites.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

i dunno.... they're a little too thick if you ask me.. not good for soloing or the like, more for just straight strumming. i still prefer a nice .88 though
    Guitars: Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, Ibanez Talman TC420, Guitar built by yours truly
    Pedals: Digitech DF7, Digitech EX7, Ibanez WH10, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX The Worm, Arion DDM-1, Digitech XBW
    Amp: Marshall MG100HDFX + MG412
    www.myspace.com/ragnarpk

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarpk
    i dunno.... they're a little too thick if you ask me.. not good for soloing or the like, more for just straight strumming. i still prefer a nice .88 though
    I usually hear people say they like thinner for strumming and thicker for soloing or lead guitar. Really doesn't matter, its whatever works for the individual.

Another one that I use off and on, Ice Pix

http://www.ice-pix.com/ice-pix_pages...lly_review.htm

I use the bottom one "The Pick That Stix". Lately I've been using the .58 (a departure from the Stubby's that I use of 1.0 to 3.0). I also have them in .81 and 1.12. I tend not to lose them since I can stick them to the pick guard or back of the guitar head. Actually they can be stuck anywhere on the guitar and I tend not to lose them.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a couple of sizes of Stubbys and I like them, but for some reason, no matter what pick I use, I always end up going back to fender mediums.

Post Thanks / Like

I love big stubbys, especially the 3.0 mm.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I've used both the Big Stubbies and Fender Mediums a lot. However, I've been using the Dunlop Ultex for a few months now and really like them. I'm using the .73's and the 1.0's.

I read about them on some forum and they work well for me.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

pes_laul Guest

Been playing with it more and it's starting to be my pick of choice.

Though I really wanna try one of Vinnie's V -picks but sadly I can't order stuff online.

Hey Strum are those Ice pix sold at most music stores?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love 'em.
    2.0 purple for solo, red for strumming.
    Even though they are thick, the cross section is like a "V" (vs "ll" ) and therefore the angle of attack rolls of the end better than thinner picks that have parallel sides. All personal preference, of course.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2