Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Jet City - A Soldano for the rest of us?

Post Thanks / Like

I got a JCA20H a few days ago, this is a collection of video clips from my first gig with it.
    It sounds AMAZING!
    Last edited by Robert; April 13th, 2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: youtube link broken so I fixed it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robsilver

I got a JCA20H a few days ago, this is a collection of video clips from my first gig with it.
    It sounds AMAZING!
    Very nice! And welcome to The Fret, Rob! Head on over to the intro section and introduce yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great, Rob! I saw your videos earlier via the Jet City Facebook page. Yours sounds a lot better than mine, but that has more than a little something to do with the guy at the guitar end
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I have been reading up on the Jet City discussion. I have a JCA20H, and everyone is hammering the clean on the amp. It might not have a lot of clean headroom, but the quality of the clean is great! I couldn't be happier. With a SD 59 jazz neck pickup in an ESP LTD Eclipse the clean is full, punchy, and compressed in all the right places. I might not be quite fender clean, but it is perfect for me. I couldn't be happier. It sounds great recorded too. Check it out all mic'd up.
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...1118374?ref=ts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitarmadman85
    I have been reading up on the Jet City discussion. I have a JCA20H, and everyone is hammering the clean on the amp. It might not have a lot of clean headroom, but the quality of the clean is great! I couldn't be happier. With a SD 59 jazz neck pickup in an ESP LTD Eclipse the clean is full, punchy, and compressed in all the right places. I might not be quite fender clean, but it is perfect for me. I couldn't be happier. It sounds great recorded too. Check it out all mic'd up.
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...1118374?ref=ts
    Hi GMM85/Zach--welcome to The Fret!

I agree with your comments on the cleans. What I can get from it I really like, but I have read online some people thinking that it will be a Fender Blackface or something which it most assuredly isn't. I take that to be a Good Thing because while I like Blackface cleans, a Blackface can't give me the crunch I'm looking for either.

That clip sounded great--were all the guitar parts recorded with the Jet City?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I agree whole heartedly with your comments about the clean. Everything was recorded with the JCA20H, either plugged straight in, or the solo with a crybaby wah in front. I used a 2x12 cab I built with an Eminence Governor and Private Jack speakers. I just ordered a full re-tube set of JJ's from eurotubes. They should be here Friday and I'm really excited to try them out. I expect them to make a great amp sound even better.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I agree whole heartedly with your comments about the clean. Everything was recorded with the JCA20H, either plugged straight in, or the solo with a crybaby wah in front. I used a 2x12 cab I built with an Eminence Governor and Private Jack speakers. I just ordered a full re-tube set of JJ's from eurotubes. They should be here Friday and I'm really excited to try them out. I expect them to make a great amp sound even better.
    Ironically, I just emailed Eurotubes about a retube kit. I assume you went with three ECC83S (one balanced for V3) and a matched pair of EL84s? They suggested a ECC81 for V1 for more clean headroom. Not sure I really want the extra headroom that badly. If I order, though, I'll have them throw one in for kicks. Otherwise shipping kills you.

I'd be interested in some before and after clips if you'd get a chance. Also, have you tried running it at high gain with a delay pedal in front of it?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. I went with three ECC83s, one balanced, and matched pair of EL84s. I asked if they recommended putting in a lower gain tube in the preamp, but they didn't have much to say about it. I wouldn't go for it either. I can throw some before and after clips up. He said they would be here by Friday. I will mic my cabinet, do the before clips, change the tubes, and us the same settings. I did end up having a fairly lengthy discussion with them about biasing these. Jet City tells you pretty much not to worry about biasing them, but he suggested otherwise. You can get a bias probe for $45 dollars from them. After watching all their videos on biasing I will probably buy one in the next couple weeks and bias it to the tubes he is sending me. I am excited to hear it with the JJ's, and after it's biased I am sure it will just sing.
    Last edited by guitarmadman85; June 4th, 2010 at 09:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I did end up having a fairly lengthy discussion with them about biasing these. Jet City tells you pretty much not to worry about biasing them, but he suggested otherwise. You can get a bias probe for $45 dollars from them. After watching all their videos on biasing I will probably buy one in the next couple weeks and bias it to the tubes he is sending me. I am excited to hear it with the JJ's, and after it's biased I am sure it will just sing.
    Yeah, I wondered about that too. There's supposedly some kind of biasing knob or something in there, but I'd also heard that these little EL84 amphs didn't need much along the lines of biasing. It's a classic case of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Any of you Fret amph gurus care to chime in on the subject?

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, I definitely recommend calling. He spent a good ten minutes with me on the phone and answered all my questions.
    Last edited by guitarmadman85; June 4th, 2010 at 09:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

So...I know I told you I would do some before and after clips of the JCA20H with and without the JJ tubes, but I didn't end up having a lot of time this afternoon, and when I saw the box on the porch I just couldn't wait. I guess my opinion will have to do. It is by far the best $50 bucks I have spent in a long time. If I have to sum it up into one sentence, if would be that the sound is more clear and defined no matter what clean or gain setting you use. I loved the way it sounded before, but this is much improved version. The low end is a lot more defined, and I didn't think it was muddy sounding before, but I have to say less muddy in the low end. It really smoothed out the high notes, and they sound less harsh. The gain is more focused, and overdriven chords come out with a lot more clarity than before. The thing I love most is how much more focused the gain is, It really is awesome. The amp does seem more punchy too. If this amp sounded this good on the showroom floor, everyone would buy one, we would all do it on impulse...or maybe addiction.... It really feels like magic. I thought the amp was a steal before, but now it seems too good to be true. Also, when you pick softly with gain at around 6.5, you loose less treble, the sound stays more true to the guitar. It will be interesting to see how much it will help to bias the amp to the new power tubes, whenever I can get the balls and the probe to do that. The JJ tubes from eurotubes are a must have!
    Guitar: ESP LTD EC-400VF
    Amp: Jet City JCA20H
    Cab: Custom built 2x12 with Eminence Governor & Private Jack Speakers, and convertible back.
    Effects: Electro Harmonix Power Boost, Original Crybaby Wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So...I know I told you I would do some before and after clips of the JCA20H with and without the JJ tubes, but I didn't end up having a lot of time this afternoon, and when I saw the box on the porch I just couldn't wait. I guess my opinion will have to do. It is by far the best $50 bucks I have spent in a long time. If I have to sum it up into one sentence, if would be that the sound is more clear and defined no matter what clean or gain setting you use. I loved the way it sounded before, but this is much improved version. The low end is a lot more defined, and I didn't think it was muddy sounding before, but I have to say less muddy in the low end. It really smoothed out the high notes, and they sound less harsh. The gain is more focused, and overdriven chords come out with a lot more clarity than before. The thing I love most is how much more focused the gain is, It really is awesome. The amp does seem more punchy too. If this amp sounded this good on the showroom floor, everyone would buy one, we would all do it on impulse...or maybe addiction.... It really feels like magic. I thought the amp was a steal before, but now it seems too good to be true. Also, when you pick softly with gain at around 6.5, you loose less treble, the sound stays more true to the guitar. It will be interesting to see how much it will help to bias the amp to the new power tubes, whenever I can get the balls and the probe to do that. The JJ tubes from eurotubes are a must have!
    Oh great, that makes me want a JCA20H even more now!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you could find the time to swap the tubes back (like you'll want to do that from your description) and do some clips, I'd appreciate it. Failing that, if you could do an "after" clip, that'd be cool. From your description, though, it sounds like just what the doctor ordered. Looks like I should start putting a few bucks aside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Well, if you could find the time to swap the tubes back (like you'll want to do that from your description) and do some clips, I'd appreciate it. Failing that, if you could do an "after" clip, that'd be cool. From your description, though, it sounds like just what the doctor ordered. Looks like I should start putting a few bucks aside.
    I'm sorry man. I know I told you I would do some before and after clips. I have her all put back together so I won't be putting the old ones back in... but I will definitely put some after clips up... and I have some before clips already recorded that might work.... I'll have to see what I can come up with. I hope you can forgive me!
    Cab: Custom built 2x12 with Eminence Governor & Private Jack Speakers, and convertible back.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry man. I know I told you I would do some before and after clips. I have her all put back together so I won't be putting the old ones back in... but I will definitely put some after clips up... and I have some before clips already recorded that might work.... I'll have to see what I can come up with. I hope you can forgive me!
    I think I could probably see my way clear to doing that

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you get the head apart to get at the tubes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you get the head apart to get at the tubes?
    I just unscrewed the back panel, the one that has the see through metal grate. There were about six screws, and from there you can get to all the tubes pretty easily. The only one that was a little difficult was the preamp tube in V1. It's the preamp tube you can't see from the back because it sits right it front of the transformer(right above the input jack). I couldn't really see that one too great, but I knew which way the tube was supposed to go, so I very gentle put that one in. They only fit one way. It will be interesting, because the only way to get the front baffle off is to take the back panel off and unscrew it from the inside. Just a thought for all of us looking forward to the new baffles.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey! Here are some quick sound clips after installing the JJ tubes. I didn't really focus on my playing, but more on trying to simply show the responsiveness of the amp, so forgive to simple licks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey! Here are some quick sound clips after installing the JJ tubes. I didn't really focus on my playing, but more on trying to simply show the responsiveness of the amp, so forgive to simple licks.
    The gain & tone sound great, especially on the Metallica riff.
    I love JJ tubes too.
    Man, I can't find any negatives about the stuff Jet City is putting out.

Post Thanks / Like

No need to apologize for the playing. Still sounds like a Jet City, but maybe a bit smoother. I can't get the gain up to 9 on mine and still have it hold together like that. It loses a lot of clarity. What guitar/pickups were you using?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast