Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NGD, kind of.....

Thread: NGD, kind of.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD, kind of.....

As I mentioned in THIS POST in the Musician's Friend "Stupid Deal of the Day" thread on Oct. 2, I ordered a Silver Creek T160 auditorium-size (a.k.a. "000") acoustic guitar when MF apparently mistakenly offered a $100 discount AND a $100 MIR on this model. So I got an all-wood (spruce top, mahogany sides & back) guitar usually selling for $300 for a final cost of $100. Not for me, though--bought it as a donation to my church, for use in accompanying the praise singing in our contemporary service. So I'll get to play it occasionally, along with several other folks.

Anyway, it arrived today, and is really quite a nice guitar. I'm used to a dreadnought, so it seems a little small to me, and the neck is a bit wider than I'm used to. But it is cosmetically gorgeous, holds tune nicely, plays well, and sounds very nice. Not even any glue globs on the inside that I can see--very cleanly built. The MF customer reviews on this model were very solid, and I can see why. A solid value at $300, and absolute larceny at $100.

Here are some pics:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. I always think mahogany is so pretty. Seriously nice deal too.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the application for an auditorium-sized guitar? Are they meant for folky stuff? Fingerpicking? Is the bracing different?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

nice .........
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, and for a worthy cause too. Great find. I'll be interested in how it holds up and what other players think of it.

Post Thanks / Like

SCORE!

I got a couple of Rogue acoustic electrics a while back when they were dumping them and they turned out to be marvelous guitars at a stupidly low price too. Nice job Voodoo.

You could have even saved 20% more by using the call in code OCT20%. Maybe you could call them back and they will refund the difference? Might be worth checking in to.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Voodoo! Welcome to the . . . um . . . not dark side????
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is the application for an auditorium-sized guitar? Are they meant for folky stuff? Fingerpicking? Is the bracing different?
    With the smaller body, they're not as loud or deep sounding as a dreadnought. Good as a solo accompaniment instrument or with a small ensemble. Folk singing yes, bluegrass not so much. The wider neck does lend itself to fingerpicking. I don't know enough about acoustic guitar bracing to comment on that question.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice guit, vood! Amazing for the $! The other day (M-36 day) the shop owner was playing some "under $200" acoustics for a couple of young dudes looking to take up guitar, and a few of them sounded quite good! I remember one was a Hohner that really impressed me!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice score Voodooman. All solid wood, well built, $100!!! Yowza!!!

FWIW the "OOO" body shape is popular with acoustic blues, folk and fingerstyle players. Depending on a wide variety of factors, tone woods, bracing etc. a 000 will typically have a well balanced sound, a lot of clarity. The first so called modern acoustic is the Martin 000/om with 14 frets clear of the neck. Guitars to that point had only 12 clear. The size faded a bit due to the popularity of the dreadnaught. Claptons use of a Martin 000 for his acoustic work gave the 000 size some new exposure.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke