Thread: Understanding Scales & How To use

Post Thanks / Like

Default Understanding Scales & How To use

I am having a difficult time determining which scale I should play over particular songs. If I understand the theory correctly I can play an A minor pentatonic over an A minor chord progression (for a blues sound). I can also play an A major pentatonic over an A minor chord progression (for a country sound). I can play an A major scale over a song written in the key of A.

Are there other scales which can be played over these three particular A chord progressions mentioned? Am I correct in thinking that the C major pentatonic can also be played over an A major chord progression?

What’s the best way to learn how to play different scales within the A major and A minor chord progressions? Right now I would like to keep it simple and slow. I understand there are 7th scales and diminished scales, harmonic scales, and etc. I am not ready to go there yet.

Robert – your videos are helping but can you expand on how to actually take a scale and make a melody out of it over a 12 bar progression?
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim, I advice you to get a music theory book for guitarist. I've heard this one is good - http://www.elderly.com/books/items/49-331173.htm

I'll try and make some videos explaining the basics better.

A major pentatonic over A minor - nono, that doesn't sound good, because you are playing the major 3rd over a minor chord - they clash (unless you are very skilled in disguising this).

C major pentatonic does not work over A major (the 3rds clash again - minor/major issue). C major pentatonic over A minor however, works perfectly. C major pentatonic is indeed identical to A minor pentatonic.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Robert. I will look into the book you suggested. I have another question, but will start a new thread.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

This may help -

Write out all the chords in a particular key. Example:

C major, D minor, E major, F major, G major, A minor, Bmin7b5.

Go to the 6th chord in the key, or A minor. That's the relative minor to C major. You can solo with both A minor and C major scales (and their corresponding pentatonics), and it will sound good. There are also modes that correspond with each chord in the key, but that's for later.

Hope this helps!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40