Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New Bob Dylan Christmas album!

Thread: New Bob Dylan Christmas album!

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy New Bob Dylan Christmas album!

Has anyone heard this POS? It is so overwhelmingly bad that
    it is laughable. What's next....American Idol?

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Hear...5438747&sr=8-1

So very sad......
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know Bob is Jewish by birth, but does anyone know what religion he practices, if different?

// I've never been a big fan, but appreciate his song writing, well, at least his early song writing!
    I'll be nice and just say that I don't enjoy his vocals, however.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    I know Bob is Jewish by birth, but does anyone know what religion he practices, if different?
    He converted to Christianity a long time ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on which decade you're talking about. He changes religion
    pretty religiously....
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger
    I think it depends on which decade you're talking about. He changes religion
    pretty religiously....
    He's always been intentionally vague about things, a rare exception has been when he converted. He has studied with the Lubbavitchers in Israel since, which he kept mum about, no doubt to encourage speculation that his conversion didn't take. Because Bob does stuff like that. However, when subsequently asked about it, he has said that he was studying as a Christian, not a convert (back) to Judaism.

It's my understanding that many Jews who convert to Christianity celebrate in both traditions, since one grew out of the other. A Jewish Christian church once visited my church and essentially showed us how their service went, and it included bringing in a Torah in procession in an ark as is also done in synagogues, prayers and singing in Hebrew, the shofar, etc. It would not surprise me if Bob's faith is a similar amalgam.

Post Thanks / Like

Not exactly Bob's best. I'm a huge Dylan fan, boot leg albums and all, so this is very unsettling. FWIW I think Bob's so called middle period has some great songwriting, "Blood on the Tracks" comes to mind. And his recent work, Modern Times has some wonderful tunes. That first group however, Bob Dylan thru Blonde on Blonde is epic.

Bob converted to Christianity in the late 70's. Released a couple of albums that acknowledged the conversion. Slow Train Coming was the first and the tune "Gotta Serve Somebody" won a grammy. John Lennon wrote "Serve Yourself" as a response. Dylan of course has long history of writing songs about people he's P.O.'d at.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

as soon as you find yourself making christmas albums, i think it's time to rethink where you're at in your career.
    Guitars: Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, Ibanez Talman TC420, Guitar built by yours truly
    Pedals: Digitech DF7, Digitech EX7, Ibanez WH10, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX The Worm, Arion DDM-1, Digitech XBW
    Amp: Marshall MG100HDFX + MG412
    www.myspace.com/ragnarpk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I personally enjoy Christmas music, but I would think Bob's voice would be more suited for some off the beaten track Celtic/Irish/Welsh sort of carols or something like that. Not the same old regulars everyone else covers.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, Bob Dylan has earned the right to do anything he wants to do. And I don't think he really cares what anyone else thinks. If he wants to put out a Christmas album, he does so b/c he wants to. He couldn't care less if it sells or what kind of reviews it gets.

Again, IMHO, his last, and one of his best, GREAT albums was Time Out of Mind. And I have 'em all, whether on vinyl, CD and/or SACD.

My 2 centavos...
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

You may be correct on all points. Doesn't change the fact that it is crap. Nor the fact that only a few diehard fans could possibly stand owning it.
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

I listened to it on Rhapsody this AM, and, I quite like it.

When I wrote the above post, I hadn't even heard a snippet yet.

I may be the odd man out here (not unusual), but I'll likely buy the CD.
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

i haven't heard it yet and i doubt it will be something i would enjoy as i don't particularly care for christmas music, but i love dylan, and what i love most about dylan is that i don't think he cares whether we like it or not. he records what he wants to record.

i also think his most recent non-xmas album together through life is fantastic. he's actually got a string of three or four of his most recent albums that are all excellent.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Well you can always use it to start the yule log.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13