Thread: Eczema on my right hand

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Eczema on my right hand

I have got ?

Yep, I think I've got some eczema on my right hand. Just on two knuckles. Our teenager is grossed out about it, and it itches a bit. The skin is red and flaky.

I am applying some vaseline and it moisturizes the skin and makes it feel better.

Anyone else here having eczema problems? Any tips or suggestions?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the following: http://www.amlactin.com/products.html and it works well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, mjk.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

I've struggled with eczema for years. I finally got a prescription for Clobetasol, which I have to apply twice daily. Doesn't really help all that much, though. I have a spot on the back of my right knee that was thought to be eczema, but after three biopsies, including two that were sent to the University of Washington for analysis, they still don't really know what it is. Their advice: Don't scratch it. That's easy for someone that doesn't have that insane itch.

I hope your condition is more benign, Robert. Usually some cortizone cream helps with the minor stuff.

-Sean
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Our daughter had excema ever since birth. She is now excema free without any prescriptions.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert I work on cars and wash my hands about 20 times a day and in the colder months my hands crack and bleed,it hurts to play even.Yours are not this extreme but I use bag balm,It works.For me I smear my hands up and put on rubber gloves at night.You would just need a little on your knucks.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I dunno what the hell I have but I noticed some sort of eczema or psoriasis or something on my left calf over a year ago. Now I have some on my scalp and also on my face in red spots here and there. They get red, dry and the skin kinda rises a little and then they get this silvery flaking. I've gotten three different cortisone creams for 'em, the less potent the more visible the spot. I wish they'll go away; the one on the leg is finally pretty much gone but the ones on the scap are kinda itchy.

They told me sometimes stress causes such conditions, and that could well be, as we just had a new son and it's been very stressful and worrisome as there have been many issues about it.

I'm not so particular about how I look but it's pretty annoying to have a greasy face with red areas anyhow, sure. And the ones in the scalp itch too. I guess I have to go see a doctor again, although I'm pretty sure they'll just tell me to keep applying the cortisone lotions.

Over here it's not very common or easy to get help for, like, visual ailments...doctors just say that hey, it won't hurt you or anyone, until you start to look like Frankenstein or something, LOL. If it's mainly visual, what does it matter is the thinking.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a prescription for something called elocon cream (or ointment), in the generic it's only about $1.50 tube, but you're in Canada so it may be free. I've got it pretty mild so it works great. Hydrocortisone cream also works if it's really mild and you want over-the-counter stuff.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

I use Cetaphil which works 95% of the time. I also have a prescription for Clobetasol for those times in the winter months when it gets really bad and won't go away.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Allergies cause my hands to get pretty rough, plus like Sumi I wash my hands tons of times during the day. When it gets cold they get worse. I have a prescription for betamethasone and it works great- grease 'em up at night and normally in the morning they feel much better. The regular hydrocort creams don't work near as well for me though.

Post Thanks / Like

This would probably sound completely unconnected, but try taking cod liver oil capsules (faithfully and daily) and after 3 weeks you'll notice a huge skin change.

Every winter (especially in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) it gets soooo dry here and my hands often crack and bleed, or at least they did until I started taking the cod liver oil.

I don't know how it works but it's nice to not have to try and play guitar with stinging pain from a cracked hand.

pes_laul Guest

OK maybe I need to pay more attention in science or something but what exactly is this "eczema" you speak of?

Post Thanks / Like

Pes it's dry patchy skin,Rylan I am going to try that cause that happens to me every winter,and it's no fun trying to play with dry cracked hands.Thanks Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Rylan, I may just try that. Thanks for the tip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Yeah, I dunno what the hell I have but I noticed some sort of eczema or psoriasis or something on my left calf over a year ago. Now I have some on my scalp and also on my face in red spots here and there. They get red, dry and the skin kinda rises a little and then they get this silvery flaking. I've gotten three different cortisone creams for 'em, the less potent the more visible the spot. I wish they'll go away; the one on the leg is finally pretty much gone but the ones on the scap are kinda itchy.

They told me sometimes stress causes such conditions, and that could well be, as we just had a new son and it's been very stressful and worrisome as there have been many issues about it.

I'm not so particular about how I look but it's pretty annoying to have a greasy face with red areas anyhow, sure. And the ones in the scalp itch too. I guess I have to go see a doctor again, although I'm pretty sure they'll just tell me to keep applying the cortisone lotions.

Over here it's not very common or easy to get help for, like, visual ailments...doctors just say that hey, it won't hurt you or anyone, until you start to look like Frankenstein or something, LOL. If it's mainly visual, what does it matter is the thinking.
    Sounds like psoriasis. It's hereditary does any of your family have it? I got some weird rash on my shins...mostly on the right side. Rash that dries but doesn't get red or bleed. My grandfather, mother, uncles, cousins have it too. Weird stuff.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Got it, too. I use a prescription lotion called Fluocinonide. Greasy stuff, so just it at bedtime, but works really well (when I can be bothered to use it).

Guitars: Takamine F-349, PRS Mira
    Pedals: Line 6 M13 Stompbox Modeler, Boss TU-2 Tuner
    Amp: VOX Valvetronix AD30VT, Ultrasound AG-50DS4

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter has had eczema since she was a baby, about 80% of infantile eczema cases clear up and vanish, but she's stuck with it unfortunately.

There is no "cure" as such, all you can do is relieve it and use hydrocortisone on parts that get infected. It's not a good idea to use it too frequently though, as long term it thins the skin.

Keep the area moisturised and for the itching you can try an antihistamine or soak in a bath of chamomile tea...seriously!

Post Thanks / Like

There may also be something in your diet that is beginning to cause the reaction. People often develop sensitivities to foods they have always enjoyed. After a lifetime of certain foods, sometimes the body becomes unable to process them efficiently as before.
    I have always loved milk. I would sometimes drink most of a gallon in a day. Of course I always thought it was healthy and good for me. I started getting red itchy patches from time to time, especially in colder weather, once the heating system started to kick in. An itchy scalp at night time was another thing that started, and frequent indigestion was a common occurance.
    Well, for some reason or other I stopped drinking milk the way I was. Before long, all of the above conditions were gone. I haven't quit drinking milk, I simply drink it occassionally now.
    Family friends, a Chinese couple who are both chiropractors and into holistic medicine, tested me for food allergies. They used a simple technique of muscle resistance testing. The test can be performed by anyone anywhere. It will tell you what food(s) you are overly sensitive to and what you should avoid. It helped me regain my previous energy levels, lose pockets of body fat I couldn't lose through excercise, and eliminated my cravings for sweets and certain foods.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the tips. I started applying Vaseline this week, and it seems to work. The problem is starting to clear up.