Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Do you use a tuner or tune by ear - Page 2

View Poll Results: How do you usually tune your guitar?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • With an electronic tuner

30 75.00%
  • By ear

6 15.00%
  • By tuning fork or other steady note

1 2.50%
  • Other (please explain)

3 7.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you use a tuner or tune by ear

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by player
    been using my ear for years But had a tuner that recently bit the dust so am looking at an Intellitouch IMT-500 to replace it and my trusty tuning fork.not sure I should pull the trigger on one just yet.
    Have a look at the pitchblack by Korg. It rocks!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I rely upon the electronic tuner after I strum once before practice and can hear a difference. I have been with guys who said man you out of tune, but when they check it against my built in Takamine tuner, I'm on the money. I know that the ear is sharp for some people but tones aren't the same for all.
    I seem to hear bass notes better than most high notes, is that a common thing with most?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by player
    been using my ear for years But had a tuner that recently bit the dust so am looking at an Intellitouch IMT-500 to replace it and my trusty tuning fork.not sure I should pull the trigger on one just yet.
    I bought one of those a while back for my acoustic, and I love it. Works very well on my mandolin, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Have a look at the pitchblack by Korg. It rocks!
    a tad pricy and a pedal.was thinking a clip on that works in a noisy enviroment - hence the IMT
    Last edited by player; October 16th, 2009 at 12:03 AM.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I only use a tuner when recording or gigging, otherwise I tune predominantly by ear.
    When you do tune by ear, what do you use? Harmonics? I never really learned how to do it G string-to-B string.

I am very dependent on electronic tuners unless it's a small tweak, and that fact kind of bothers me -- I'd like to be good enough by ear to get it right without a PC board, so I'm looking for ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    When you do tune by ear, what do you use? Harmonics? I never really learned how to do it G string-to-B string.

I am very dependent on electronic tuners unless it's a small tweak, and that fact kind of bothers me -- I'd like to be good enough by ear to get it right without a PC board, so I'm looking for ideas.
    check this link out:http://www.howtotuneaguitar.org/and this:http://www.howtotuneaguitar.org/tuning/how-to-tune/ once you get the hang of it.ya just can't beat having a good ear though.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

I used to tune my guitar by ear but it hurt too much.

Sorry.

You do not want to know how Shiner tunes his guitars *shudder*
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

No I don't use harmonics. I make sure chords sound correct both played open and higher up on the neck. Playing perfect 4ths and perfect 5ths, you can hear pretty easily if the strings are in tune or not. I have done this for so many years that it's become second nature. I think I'll do a video one day to demonstrate.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I used to tune my guitar by ear but it hurt too much.

Sorry.

You do not want to know how Shiner tunes his guitars *shudder*

Change your tuner keys to the ones that fits your ear better.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

I like to tune my guitar by ear first,them check it with the tuner,to see if its close or on to help me hear the notes.(time permitting)I change from half step down to norm alot.Does Shiner really tune with his nose? Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    Does Shiner really tune with his nose? Sumi
    After a few shiners I don't see why he can't.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    When I hear a string going slightly off I usually just correct it by ear but I'll always tune electronically before I start playing.

Same here!

Guitars: Takamine F-349, PRS Mira
    Pedals: Line 6 M13 Stompbox Modeler, Boss TU-2 Tuner
    Amp: VOX Valvetronix AD30VT, Ultrasound AG-50DS4

Post Thanks / Like

I always use a tuner. If I'm playing out I have a Turbo Tuner in-line between guitar and amp. At home I keep a Boss plugged into to a wall wart so it's always on, using the built in mic. It's up on a shelf it can be viewed from anywhere in my music room, so it's convenient for me and anyone else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    I like to tune my guitar by ear first,them check it with the tuner,to see if its close or on to help me hear the notes.(time permitting)I change from half step down to norm alot.Does Shiner really tune with his nose? Sumi

no. but you really don't want to know how he tunes them, do you?
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Er, both. I'll use a tuner to "get a note" and then do the rest by ear. On stage it's silent electronic tuning all the way.
    I do the both thing too. I usually just tune the guitar to itself if I'm home and messing around. I will use the tuner if I'm playing w/ others or restringing the guitar.

=-) PJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12