Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for the sound of a Martin HD28V

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Shopping for the sound of a Martin HD28V

That is the sound I like. The big, rosewood/Spruce Martin dreadnought sound. I have been looking a while, and cannot afford 2 to 3 K for an acoustic. I recently found some deals on used Martins (D16RGT, DSR, Custom D15) which are all basically the same build according the factory man I talked to today. Each are built to the same specs other than cosmetics. None are HD28Vs, but they do sound good.

A local musician also reminded me of Blueridge guitars (which Markb had pointed out before), which are asian Martin copies that get really good reviews. There is one, the BR-160A that is an adirondack spruce top with rosewood back and sides, and sounds great on the vids, even as compared to a D-28 Marquis, which is a very nice Martin. Hmm. Decisions, decisions. Anyway, no more pedals or etc. for me until I save up for an upgraded acoustic. I have some saved but have a ways to go. I think i can get the sound I want for well under a grand. Here is a vid of the Martin D16RGT I found, and another showing the blueridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbIkSU1lEak
    Watch it in HD, you get the sound better.

Blueridge
    http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1530927/m/BR160AvsD-28marquis.wmv
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; October 14th, 2009 at 11:54 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Another option is the solid wood series from Morgan Monroe. My M30 is essentially a Martin 000 knock off. Very well made. There is a dread version.

Also have to put in a plug for Guild. The GAD series are reported to be a bit inconsistant, but the ones I've played I like a lot. You can also pick up used Westerly or Calif. built spruce rosewood dreads for under a grand.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Steve, may I ask why the HD-28V? The D-28 is basically the same guitar, except for the Herringbone, V-shaped neck, forward shifted X bracing and price.

The D-28 has an MSRP of $2,999 vs $4,099 for the HD-28V, and is considered by many to be the best dreadnought ever made.

Just a thought. You might wanna go here to make direct comparisons:

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/model.php

Personally, I'd like to see you get a Martin (it is what you want). Just my 2 cents...

(Remember what Jimi75 said when he finally got his Gibson LP Trad Gold Top: paraphrasing here - that he finally knew to go after what you really want, without settling, and trading, and selling, and wasting time, effort, and, in the end, money. Very wise words. I went WAY over my budget for my new Martin M-36, but as the days go by, I have absolutely NO regrets, and the money thing is working itself out nicely. )

G
    Last edited by bigG; October 15th, 2009 at 09:31 AM. Reason: add text
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah BigG, I would kinda like to stay with a Martin, or at least an American or North America (ie Larrivee, Canada) made guitar if possible. Also, those Blueridges have some gaudy headstock stuff on them. Why the HD28V? Well, there was one in the local shop that has now closed that just rang with me. I cannot tell you exactly what I heard, but I just liked it. I also like Adi top Martins like the D-28 Marquis (they are called cannons) too. I played a D-45 that I think was a Marquis on the rep night, and that thing was sweet! But I might admit that if I did not play the HD28V right before or after a decent standard D-28 or even perhaps the less expensive Martins, I would not notice a difference. The D16/15s have different bracing again, (D1 A frame vs. standard bracing on the D-28 and forward shifted as you have noted on the V) so have the same Martin family of sound, if not the same exact sound.

I have a big discussion going on in the Acoustic Guitar Forum right now on the same subject, and many are pointing me in that same direction. All comes down to what I can really afford in a reasonable time. I don't mind saving and waiting a while, but saving for a HD28V would tie up a huge percentage of personal funds in one guitar. Maybe a used D-28 might work, or maybe one of the others if I get over some cork sniffiness, or really decide that the family of sound is close enough when i am not sniffing different guitars in the same room.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evenkeel
    Another option is the solid wood series from Morgan Monroe. My M30 is essentially a Martin 000 knock off. Very well made. There is a dread version.

Also have to put in a plug for Guild. The GAD series are reported to be a bit inconsistant, but the ones I've played I like a lot. You can also pick up used Westerly or Calif. built spruce rosewood dreads for under a grand.
    If you want that big Martin sound you're after, stay w a dreadnought. The 000 mentioned above has a shallower body (approx 4 - 1/8" vs the dread's 4 - 7/8"). The "sound" won't be as big and boomy as you want, imho.

I do love my Guild GAD Jumbo, great guits for the price. But it's no Martin...

Just my opinion.
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigG
    If you want that big Martin sound you're after, stay w a dreadnought. The 000 mentioned above has a shallower body (approx 4 - 1/8" vs the dread's 4 - 7/8"). The "sound" won't be as big and boomy as you want, imho.

I do love my Guild GAD Jumbo, great guits for the price. But it's no Martin...

Just my opinion.
    A true (i.e. Martin) 000 is shorter in the scale too which all detracts from that big sound. The OM is a 000 body with dreadnought scale length. Only a rosewood dread' is going to give the sound Steve has in his head. I'll go further and say that the different bracing in the more modern Martin designs (15, 16, etc) won't get you that D28 thump either.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I even suggested a 000 would replicate the sound of a dread. SVL was asking for some options for that traditional, big dread, spruce/rosewood, Martin rumble. The Morgan Monroe I was refering to is this
    http://morganmonroe.com/M50_11a13697...4bc5d5d6b.html
    Forward shifted bracing, solid woods, very much a Martin HD-28 clone.

Having said that, I agree, if you want a Martin, then probably only a Martin will do. FWIW I played a used, mid '90's HD-28 recently, just after purchasing the Guild D-60. The Guild has all the dread rumble of the Martin if not more. The Martin has an asking price of $1,500, the Guild... well a lot less. A plainer Guild, D-40 for example, even less.
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think I even suggested a 000 would replicate the sound of a dread. SVL was asking for some options for that traditional, big dread, spruce/rosewood, Martin rumble. The Morgan Monroe I was refering to is this

Having said that, I agree, if you want a Martin, then probably only a Martin will do. FWIW I played a used, mid '90's HD-28 recently, just after purchasing the Guild D-60. The Guild has all the dread rumble of the Martin if not more. The Martin has an asking price of $1,500, the Guild... well a lot less. A plainer Guild, D-40 for example, even less.
    And I have looked at Guilds before, thinking a D-50 might be a good one. The Tacoma built ones seemed like decent guitars, if not what they were in the old days. That Morgan Monroe might be and option too, or a Recording King, or a Blue Ridge, or a Stanford PSD28. http://www.gypsyjazzguitars.com/guit...nfordpics.html
    Or a Tacoma proper (with standard type sound holes) might do the trick. My problem there is finding these other makes to play might be hard. Fender killed the whole Tacoma thing, and I have never seen most of the rest (other than some lower end Blue Ridges) in Idaho. Someone also suggested a Breedlove in the retro series, and a quick look on line indicated they might be nice. Well, first things first. Save up some dough, and continue to play some as I can find them, and get one when it happens.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

An older Guild D35'll get it too if you can find one at a good price. 70s and 80s Guilds used to be the real bargains of the acoustic market but I haven't checked lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked out any of Godin's acoustics? Even their top of the line models cost little more than $1000. If my Seagull and A & L experience is any indication, the top models will be great.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'd like to see you get a Martin (it is what you want). Just my 2 cents...

(Remember what Jimi75 said when he finally got his Gibson LP Trad Gold Top: paraphrasing here - that he finally knew to go after what you really want, without settling, and trading, and selling, and wasting time, effort, and, in the end, money. Very wise words. I went WAY over my budget for my new Martin M-36, but as the days go by, I have absolutely NO regrets, and the money thing is working itself out nicely. )

G
    Can't say it any better than that. If that's what you want, then you won't be really satisfied with anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, I am leaving all options open at this point. The first thing is to get any sort of budget. Right now, I cannot buy anything I want. But I can in a while with a bit of planning and saving. I am going to shoot for a Martin of the type that I want (not necessarily a HD28V, just one in the same family of tones), unless and until I find the guitar that makes me forget about getting that tone. There are a lot of options to look at, and I can and will take my time. Reports will follow as I continue my quest.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

evenkeel, sorry if I stepped on your toes, there. I didn't mean to imply that you had suggested a 000, only mentioned one, as in: "you like yours", and that a dread was available from the same manufacturer.

Apologies for any misunderstanding. I probably could have worded that 000 reference better, and made myself more clear. When I saw a 000 mentioned, I simply wanted to make sure that SVL steer clear for the sound he was looking for, which you had certainly said when suggesting the same brand's dread (and its specs).

My bad,

G
    bigG

Guitars:

www.swartamps.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    ... I am going to shoot for a Martin of the type that I want (not necessarily a HD28V, just one in the same family of tones), ...
    Modern D28s are great guitars and do the "banjo killer" thing without even pausing for breath. So do many other rosewood dreads. I had a Sigma (Martin licenced copy) "'bone" that managed to fool one of London's top prewar Martin snobs after he'd heard it. He stopped speaking to me once he found out what it really was I think we get far too hung up on model numbers and the like in these interweb times. I can remember when there was only "a Gibson humbucker" available if you wanted a replacement pickup. Now you ask the question and get 100+ different replies. Progress?

Use your ears, play many, buy one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    An older Guild D35'll get it too if you can find one at a good price. 70s and 80s Guilds used to be the real bargains of the acoustic market but I haven't checked lately.
    My Guild 1975 D35 is a spectacular sounding, if rather plain Jane, dread. But, it's Spruce/Mahogany, so probably not the sound SVL is looking for. Has a much brighter, mid range oriented tone. Not the low end rumble of rosewood.
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Well, I am leaving all options open at this point. The first thing is to get any sort of budget. Right now, I cannot buy anything I want. But I can in a while with a bit of planning and saving. I am going to shoot for a Martin of the type that I want (not necessarily a HD28V, just one in the same family of tones), unless and until I find the guitar that makes me forget about getting that tone. There are a lot of options to look at, and I can and will take my time. Reports will follow as I continue my quest.
    Steve, you've often pointed to Neil Young & his Martin (D45) as a major favorite of yours, so it's no surprise you're longing for the big sound of a Martin rose/spruce dread.

It's been pointed out that if it's a rose/spruce Martin dread you want, be it an HD28 or otherwise, then anything less or other may be a disappointment, a cause to 2nd-guess yourself for 'settling'.

With your mind open, and by necessity, perhaps not your wallet as much as your mind, I echo the advice of others: while you're saving, start the quest by finding and laying your hands on all the rose/spruce dreads you can and play them. Ideally, you'd find a store that has a Martin to A/B with.

I'd only add that it may be wise to go in the company of a friend/player, who can play (them) for you while you stand back and listen...like they're on audition. They sound a whole lot different from the front than from behind, nestled against your body as they'd be with you behind the wheel.

Finally, an acid A/B test of the 'value' of the solid rosewood back is to hold each of the contenders up and out, away from the body, finger a big open E or G chord, and give it a big, hard rip.

Chick-a-Chunggggg!!

Listen to the ringing overtones and sustain.

You'll know THE ONE when you hear it, no matter what brand it is, because you'll feel your knees buckle.
    ^^
    AXES: Fender '81 The STRAT, '12 Standard Tele, '78 Musicmaster Bass, '13 CN-240SCE Thinline; Rickenbacker '82 360-12BWB; Epiphone '05 Casino, '08 John Lennon EJ-160E; Guild '70 D-40NT; Ovation '99 Celebrity CS-257; Yamaha '96 FG411CE-12; Washburn '05 M6SW Mando, '08 Oscar Schmidt OU250Bell Uke; Johnson '96 JR-200-SB Squareneck Reso; Hofner '07 Icon B-Bass; Ibanez '12 AR-325. AMPS: Tech 21 Trademark 10; Peavey ValveKing Royal 8; Fender Acoustonic 90, Passport Mini, Mini Tonemaster; Marshall MS-2 Micro Stack; Behringer BX-108 Thunderbird; Tom Scholz Rockman. PEDALS/FX: Boss ME-50; Yamaha EMP100; Stage DE-1; Samson C-Com 16 L.R. Baggs ParaAcoustic D.I; MXR EQ-10.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wingsdad

I'd only add that it may be wise to go in the company of a friend/player, who can play (them) for you while you stand back and listen...like they're on audition. They sound a whole lot different from the front than from behind, nestled against your body as they'd be with you behind the wheel.

Finally, an acid A/B test of the 'value' of the solid rosewood back is to hold each of the contenders up and out, away from the body, finger a big open E or G chord, and give it a big, hard rip.
    Very good points. I always like to have someone play few chords when comparision shopping. A few big first position chords, a bit of fingerpicking, a few riffs.
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LOL! Wingsdad, I was just this morning looking out our PMs from a few months ago on the subject. Yep, that is the approach I want to take. And I will take my time with it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Update

Well, I am in the process of ordering this: http://www.dreamguitars.com/preowned...6tr_581077.php

I have been looking at it for a couple weeks, and collecting my funds. Ready to go today and am waiting for the call back to complete the order. Click on either the link to the clip of the guitar, or the slideshow vid that also has the clip to check it out. It is a 1996, not a 2006 as it is incorrectly listed at the top. I am pretty excited!

I have shopped GC and looked at theirs, looked in the Boise Martin dealer (they did not have any R/S dreads at all, just mahogany), and tried lots of guitars. The Martin R/S dreadnought sound is it. This one is a nice compromise, with a good sound, a nice look that is a bit off the beaten track, and has a 3 day approval period in case it is not what I want when it gets here.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; November 2nd, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast