• Fingers

6 24.00%
  • Both

13 52.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fingers VS Pick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser

Funk and reggae likely wouldn't sound good with a pick and practically demand finger playing. Lots of punk players use picks as do metal players, so a pick would be perfectly acceptable for those genres.

I suppose it really depends on what the music asks for and what the player is most comfortable with.
    You slappa da bass?
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    You slappa da bass?
    Only when she's been bad!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK
    IMO

All the greatest bass players of all times play with their fingers.

THE BASS IS MEANT TO BE BEAT ON! FINGERS IS THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY.

I am sure their many who disagree but

STANLEY CLARKE
    MARCUS MILLER
    VICTOR WOOTEN
    LARRY GRAHAM
    LOUIS JOHNSON
    RON CARTER
    JACO PASTORIUS
    Bona Pinder Yayumayalolo (RICHARD BONA)
    MARK ADAMS
    LES CLAYPOOL
    JAMES JAMERSON
    JOHN ENTWISLTE
    FLEA
    GEDDY LEE (AT LEAST I HAVE NEVER NOTICED HIM WITH ONE)

THESE CATS are among the best ever and not picK player among them.
    IF it works for them THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!
    Actually John Entwistle DID use a pick, not to mention Matt freeman, John Paul Jones, Paul McCartney (I hat the beatles, but hey, he did use them) as well as Carol Kaye and I think Pino Palladino may even use them sometimes, and they're two of the most legendary session players of all time, you really need to expand your mind, I mean I play mostly with fingers too, but I find that you can do things with a pick that you can't do with fingers, like sweeping.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pie_man_25
    Actually John Entwistle DID use a pick, not to mention Matt freeman, John Paul Jones, Paul McCartney (I hat the beatles, but hey, he did use them) as well as Carol Kaye and I think Pino Palladino may even use them sometimes, and they're two of the most legendary session players of all time, you really need to expand your mind, I mean I play mostly with fingers too, but I find that you can do things with a pick that you can't do with fingers, like sweeping.

NO my MIND is expanded quit far enough thank you very much.
    So some how you know my mind from one damn post to a thread please.

Enthwhisle is famous for his fingering technique not his pic playing.
    Larry Graham used a pic also but he is famous for popularizing thumping and popping.

Now as far as those folks you mention there was not a name there I have not seen play in person or was not aware of. I could have put a 300 person list out there but why.

As far as sweeping is concern you can do that with your thumb.

LIKE I SAID FOR ME THERE IS NOTHING LIKE PLAYING A BASS WITH YOUR FINGERS AND THUMB.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK
    NO my MIND is expanded quit far enough thank you very much.
    So some how you know my mind from one damn post to a thread please.

Enthwhisle is famous for his fingering technique not his pic playing.
    Larry Graham used a pic also but he is famous for popularizing thumping and popping.

Now as far as those folks you mention there was not a name there I have not seen play in person or was not aware of. I could have put a 300 person list out there but why.

As far as sweeping is concern you can do that with your thumb.

LIKE I SAID FOR ME THERE IS NOTHING LIKE PLAYING A BASS WITH YOUR FINGERS AND THUMB.
    I apologize for offending you, this idiot (I'm referring to myself) did not try to offend, I was just making a statement, but again, I have to say I respectfully disagree, after all, by playing only with fingers and thumb you are limiting yourself to a range of tones, and entwistle did do a LOT of great stuff with a pick, like the solo for my generation. Yeah, you can keep telling yourself that nothing beats the fingers, and I do agree with you, but sometimes playing with a pick can be more appropriate, After all, like Victor Wooten himself has said many times, being able to do a ton of virtuosic stuff only makes you a technical bassist, being a great bassist is something else entirely. Again, I'm sorry for having offended you, if it really was such a big deal, and again, yeah, fingers are great, but part of being a great bassist is being versatile, which means mastering the many different methods of playing.

ps. though you CAN sweep with your thumb, it sounds sharper with a pick.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

I use a broom to sweep!

Really though, it doesn't matter what great player used what.

As far as I'm concerned Geddy Lee could have used a rotohammer to play.

A good bass player uses whatever method that works to best express the sound that they want to hear from the instrument. It's an artistic endeavor and there is no "right" answer, just as there is no "best" style of music.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12