Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please don't kill me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    Hey, didn't you also tell me you love the bass line in Running With the Devil?

Oh yeah, but I can't play that one either.

No wait, I won't play that one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    that is such a beautiful piece of music

Amen
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Maggot Brain -- Funkadelic
    Climbing up the Ladder -- Isley Bros
    Summer Breeze -- Isley Brothers
    Super Stupid -- Funkadelic
    comfortably Numb -- Pink Floyd
    Still of the night -- White Snake
    The sun goes down -- Thin Lizzy
    Cry like the skies -- Jesse johnson

just to name a few

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many.... but here are three of my faves:

Mississippi Queen by Mountain. Leslie West absolutely rips on this one. Gives me chills every time I hear it. Talk about a combination of dirt and super vibrato!

One of These Nights -- Joe Walsh jolts this song into overdrive with the first 2 notes and just keeps going. Amazing.

Cinammon Girl -- Neil Young. I know he's not considered the best guitarist, but this solo absolutely serves the song. And he plays ONE FREAKIN NOTE.OVER AND OVER. Great timing and feel.

I'm sure I'll think of others later.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Cant you see!!! Marshall Tucker Band = Toy Caldwell

Black Water: The Doobie Brothers= guitar work ,patrick simmons and steely dan???
    Last edited by mrmudcat; October 28th, 2009 at 08:14 PM.
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I Want You (She's So Heavy), especially when I can listen all the way through to The End, and Her Majesty.

That's one anyway. Depends on the mood.

(EDIT: oh, you mean also in terms of playing. I don't play that one yet.)

I guess for playing, I really enjoy messing around with Gravity, Mayer. Really a lot of nice things you can do with it, and you are not limited to minor only, and it is very up and down the neck with a lot of areas for me to work on expression. And working on The Wall Pt. 2, Gilmour/Floyd. I say working on for a reason. My first solo I ever learned was "Secret Agent Man" and that solo, along with the intro is actually quite fun.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Bill Nelson's solo w/ BeBopDeluxe on "Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape" from the "Live! In the Air Age" live album.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    My instinct is telling me not to post this (seems like the type of thing that's been beaten to death -- I did search for it first), but I'm wondering what some of your favorite guitar solos are, both in terms of listening and playing. I'm always up for trying to learn new solos, though I know very very few that require any technical ability.

I guess my point is that not that many solos are truly affecting or worth noticing for me. Many may be impressive, but are not super cohesive. Some of my faves, simple as they may be, are

Live Forever (Oasis)
    Hysteria (Def Leppard)
    Aqualung (Jethro Tull)

With a side of:
    Michelle (Beatles)

I seem to remember liking the live version of 'Like a Hurricane' by Neil Young too, though I can't recall it right now.

Yeah, I wish I had more obscure ones to reference, but I don't.
    A solo doesn't have to be amazingly complex or blazing fast to make a statement. If two notes ice the cake, the deal is real. You are also not bound to learning the solos note for note, or even putting solos where they are in the original tunes. Play what you feel and have fun with it.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    A solo doesn't have to be amazingly complex or blazing fast to make a statement. If two notes ice the cake, the deal is real. You are also not bound to learning the solos note for note, or even putting solos where they are in the original tunes. Play what you feel and have fun with it.
    Oh no, sorry for the confusion. I was saying that the solos I can play don't require much in the way of chops (since about all I can handle are solos that are pretty technically simple).

Moreover, I don't actually know of that many solos that really stand out to me, where the notes seem to mean much. A lot of solos are technically challenging or impressive demonstrations of skill, but so many of them aren't melodic to the point where I'd call them memorable.

The solos that do stand out are a bunch of David Gilmour solos, along with the ones I mentioned originally. I was looking for input on which solos other people find to be truly affecting or worth remembering. Noel Gallagher seems to have a way of carving out memorable guitar solos without too much in the way of technical ability, and to me, that's frequently more impressive than speed demons playing as many notes as they can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

The Gilmour solos are worthy of learning - they're not technically complex, but they do require touch.......................one of my favorite guitar players.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

I would take a slow simple burn over a fast complex speed lick any day of the week........................
    Duane Skydog Allman

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R.B. Huckleberry
    Juds Priest's "Living After midnight" solo was the first one I ever learned. Really tasty & catchy!
    LOL Me too, and probably the only one too. Wait I did learn Sanitarium solo off Master of Puppets.

Living...is a fun easy solo, yeah...although a bit akin to were not gonna take it which some people hate. IMO the est keads ever, anything old ac/dc works well. Up to bak in black.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    I would take a slow simple burn over a fast complex speed lick any day of the week........................
    Yeah, I agree with that for the most part. A large portion of my favorite guitar parts are slower pieces.

Speedy licks have their place, but can become overbearing quickly if not played in just the right place and time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    Cant you see!!! Marshall Tucker Band = Toy Caldwell

Black Water: The Doobie Brothers= guitar work ,patrick simmons and steely dan???
    Oh yeah!!!

I recently jumped in and played fretless bass with an open-mic band that was doing Can't You See (they didn't have a bassist). What a blast that was!

The structure of it is so simple that it allows all sort of possibilities.

I also played SD's Peg with a different band, again with the fretless, and it was a hoot to play. I'd never played it before, but man, what a sweet groove on that one! The guitarist gave me the key and the changes just before we started and we nailed it pretty well.

Good stuff for sure!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12