Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Please don't kill me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please don't kill me

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please don't kill me

My instinct is telling me not to post this (seems like the type of thing that's been beaten to death -- I did search for it first), but I'm wondering what some of your favorite guitar solos are, both in terms of listening and playing. I'm always up for trying to learn new solos, though I know very very few that require any technical ability.

I guess my point is that not that many solos are truly affecting or worth noticing for me. Many may be impressive, but are not super cohesive. Some of my faves, simple as they may be, are

Live Forever (Oasis)
    Hysteria (Def Leppard)
    Aqualung (Jethro Tull)

With a side of:
    Michelle (Beatles)

I seem to remember liking the live version of 'Like a Hurricane' by Neil Young too, though I can't recall it right now.

Yeah, I wish I had more obscure ones to reference, but I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with "Michelle."

Some that are typically mentioned are many of the Steely Dan solos. "Kid" by the Pretenders. There are some more obscure ones from XTC and Tears For Fears which are very cool. Give me more time and I'm sure others will pop in my head.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can get past the 425lbs. of ego, give a listen to Yngwie's Black Star.
    Then go practice it 'till you have it down. There'll be a test later.

Post Thanks / Like

Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb is one of the best leads ever! Give that one a try. It's one of my all-time favorites.
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the solo from Pink FLoyd's "Time."
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Washburn Idol 64 DL w/GFS Dream 180 pups
    Washburn X-33 w/GFS 60's-70's Grey Bottom Non Stagger Overwound
    Stagg G300 SG w/GFS Power Rails
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Juds Priest's "Living After midnight" solo was the first one I ever learned. Really tasty & catchy!

Post Thanks / Like

SRV's solo in Couldn't Stand the Weather is a long time personal favorite. I love the outro solo of Dire Straits' Tunnel of Love and have done my best to learn it note for note. I find that the fast parts aren't as difficult for me as getting Knopfler's numerous full-step bends to sound just right. Clapton's second solo in Cream's live version of Crossroads always astounds me. Geez, I could go on & on....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigG
    Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb is one of the best leads ever! Give that one a try. It's one of my all-time favorites.

Also one of my ultimate faves, Big G. The lilting sound of that Black Strat...gorgeous. Another one of mine is Brighton Rock by Queen. One of Brian May's best, IMHO.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun.
    wow, five replies before it got to this one

thanks robert for restoring my faith

oh, and while we are still tangentially on the subject of pink floyd solos, male mine echoes.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

George Lynch on Dokken's "In My Dreams" and "Mr. Scary"
    Randy Rhoads on Ozzy's "Crazy Train"
    Mark Knopfler "Sultans of Swing"
    SRV "Little Wing" (yes, I like Stevie's take on it better. So sue me.)
    Jimi Hendrix "All Along the Watchtower"
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of great guitar solos to reference. It's funny but you don't hear that many guitar solos in popular songs anymore, it seems to have fallen away from favor.

Here are a few of my favorite solos in songs. I will leave out the ones that have already been mentioned (David Gilmour's solos, etc)

The Cars: Best Friend's Girlfriend
    This is a great solo with some very cool rock-a-billy references in it. Elliott Easton always played very tasty solos in the Car's tunes, but this song is my favorite example of his playing. I read in an interview that Elliot Easton was heavily influenced by George Harrison's solos in Beatle tunes. He was referncing the Beatle tune "I Will" in the main guitar riff in Best Friend's Girlfriend.

Journey: Lights
    Although I'm not a huge Journey fan, however, this song stands out as one of the best guitar solos in classic rock tune in my opinion. He is giving a tribute to Hendrix in this solo with his tone and overall style. The solo is melodic, uses some great Hendrix-style lines, and it really fits into the song in a nice way. I never get tired of hearing it.

Steely Dan : Realin in the Years
    This solo is loaded with cool licks that fit the chord changes perfectly. I always liked the guitar players that Steely Dan used because they all sounded like Blues players who knew how to play over changes like a Jazz player would. I learned a ton by copying licks from guitar solos from Steely Dan records. Check out the guitar solo on the song "Peg" also. This is only one guitar but the way he uses double stops sounds like two guys. The "Peg" solo was done by studio guy named Jay Graydon - incredible player.

Dire Straights: Sultans of Swing
    Mark Knopfler is just one of the most original players. He is one of a handful of guys who are identifiable after only playing a few notes. I like his solo in this song because it builds nicely, he nails the changes, and he uses really cool phrases due to his use of fingers instead of a pick.

There are many more, but I stop with these ...

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Everyone already listed most of my favorites, so I'll add a few noteable ones.

"Seize the Day", Synyster Gates, Avenged Sevenfold

"Mr. Crowley", Randy Rhoads, Ozzy Osbourne

"Right Now", Eddie Van Halen (best brown sound evar)

"Hotel California", Don Felder & Joe Walsh, Eagles

"Boys Are Back In Town (live)", Scott Gorham & Brian Robertson, Thin Lizzy

"Watermellon In Easter Hay", Frank Zappa

Last edited by Tig; October 20th, 2009 at 12:59 PM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

ABB : intro solo to its not my cross to bear also the duel duane and dickey in the middle

ABB: outro solo to please call home.........

Of course any ABB solo is tops on my list!!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Pearl Jam (Mike McCready) - "Yellow Ledbetter"
    Tom Waits (Marc Ribot) - "Make It Rain"
    Electric Masada (Marc Ribot) - "Karaim"
    Ben Harper - "Diamonds on the Inside"
    Neil Young - "Cortez the Killer" (the live version from "WELD")

Post Thanks / Like

I like acoustic work and really enjoy:

Midsummer Night's Dream - Triumph

Little Martha - Allman Bros.

...and electric

La Villa Strangiato (Live version) - Rush

Back Where it all Began - Allman Bros.

Unfortunately, I can't actually play any of those.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    that is such a beautiful piece of music
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

pes_laul Guest

I know while it's not my favorite band but I've really been digging the outro on Scorpions -Still loving you. WHen its singing the last chorus and the guys playing some cool lead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    I like acoustic work and really enjoy:

Midsummer Night's Dream - Triumph

...and electric

La Villa Strangiato (Live version) - Rush

Back Where it all Began - Allman Bros.

Unfortunately, I can't actually play any of those.
    Hey, didn't you also tell me you love the bass line in Running With the Devil?

-Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast