Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Peavey 5W Valveking $99 @ Music123
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peavey 5W Valveking $99 @ Music123

Post Thanks / Like

Default Peavey 5W Valveking $99 @ Music123

An all-tube amp from a respected name for $99...and free shipping, to boot:

They've got a bunch of other stuff on sale, too.....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice amp, good reviews of it. I had some serious love in that direction and nearly got it. If I wasn't getting a stellar tube amp shortly, I'd be all over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I should not have spent all that money I had been saving for something special like this..............That looks like a nice amph.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez, for that $, it's worth buying one even if you're not in the market right now! Set it aside and grab it when you want something new and different down the road! Or, gift it to someone who could use a nice little amp! Hell, buy two! If I had ANY $ right now after that recent Martin purchase, I'd get it! Or two of it!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

I want it. I have the money. But I am between jobs. Still, that could ease my depression about being between jobs...

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya, RBH. Tough choice. In my case, new gear usually wins! Not saying it's right OR smart on my part...just the truth...
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

New gear gets you through times of no job better than a job gets you through times of no new gear!

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Nabbed one. I bought both, the Bugera V5 ($132) and the Peavey Valve King Royal 8. I ended up trying them back to back and like different things about each so I'm keeping them both. The peavey has much more gain and is better for heavier music. I'm ordering a Jensen Mod8 speaker to get rid of the slight squawk though. I think I'll be fitting a Mod10 in the Bugerea over the winter. I love these inexpensive amps, you can afford to do some mods and still keep the price down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bilsdragon
    Nabbed one. I bought both, the Bugera V5 ($132) and the Peavey Valve King Royal 8. I ended up trying them back to back and like different things about each so I'm keeping them both. The peavey has much more gain and is better for heavier music. I'm ordering a Jensen Mod8 speaker to get rid of the slight squawk though. I think I'll be fitting a Mod10 in the Bugerea over the winter. I love these inexpensive amps, you can afford to do some mods and still keep the price down.
    Nice buy, man! IMHO, a bit more abt that Bugera would be nice. It's been mentioned alot on here, and I think some of us would be interested in your take on it. (I think the Peavey is pretty well-known as a winner, especially for the price. Such a deal!)
    bigG

Guitars:

www.swartamps.com

Post Thanks / Like

It's my buddy Stoneattic's fault. Lee liked the Bugera, and I liked the Peavey. We played them back to back. I'll get him to post his take. He gave me a pretty good description the day we played both. Two tube amps for $239, who could beat that with a stick. I must say the Bugera does seem to be well built, it just has a bit less gain without a pedal. There looks like enough room to put a 10" speaker in there also. I plugged my Jensen Mod10 in my Champion cabinet into the Bugera and it was quite sweet from the volumes I could get away with at work. (lunchtime)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bilsdragon

I nabbed one too. I plan on replacing the speaker with a Jensen Mod as well. Tried to pick one up @ GC, but they don't stock them at the store I was at. The Mod seems like the best way to improve the sound, from what I've read.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions on the Bugera V5

I bought the Peavey and am looking into modifying it not big on the overdriven sound stock. But my real question is on the Bugera V5 have you looked inside at all and do you have a schematic? I see it is a digital reverb wondering if they used the Belton digital reverb in the amp. Also by the pictures the output transformer looks like it is reasonably big, bigger then the Peavey is that the case?

Post Thanks / Like

Default mod on the Peavey

I just got done swapping the controls around in the Valve King so the tone and gain control are after the second triode. Then the volume control is between the first triode and the second triode to become the gain control. Also added a 220pf cap across R17 and changed C1 to 150nf for treble boost feeding the second triode. I did this by just lifting components and jumpers from the PCB with no cuts so I could put it back to stock. Like the overdriven and the clean sound this way better then the stock set up so will probably change it so the controls are what they say they are. Only thing that is off is I think you need just a bit more gain to really get the right overdriven tone, so may try to add a jfet stage with a gain of approx 5 in the front end. Forgot on the tone stack I changed C6 to a 2.2nf capacitor also. If anyone wants to try these mods I can post a marked up schematic and picture of the PCB.
    The speaker in the amp is a Weber sig 8 4 ohm think I will try the stock one again just to see how it sounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, It says the stock speaker in the Peavey is an 8ohm. I can open up the Bugera on Monday(amp I keep for lunchtime at work) and take a picture for you to see. I haven't found a schematic as of yet.
    Last edited by Bilsdragon; November 1st, 2009 at 05:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Bugera

I knew the stock speaker in the Peavey is an 8 ohm it’s just that I had the stock speaker from an Epiphone Valve Jr sitting around that I thought would be better (it’s a Weber I think). I checked the transformer turns ratio to see what the impedance should be and it is a 25:1 so 8 ohms is equal to 5 k on the primary. At the Bugera web site and from the picture of the V5 that is actually a drawing it looks like the transformers may be the same ones as in the Peavey. I see that they have the tubes in a cage the same as the Peavey. I did e-mail Bugera to ask for a schematic (no phone number listed) and see that they are in the Virgin Islands, ya man, fine sun baked amps made in China. Also I wonder if the digital reverb in the amp is the Belton module it may be the first amp to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I uncaged the tubes on the Bugera since it buzzed like heck. I think if I put silicone in the corners that should keep that from happening. I didn't want to bend the cage since the mounting screws line up perfectly on the underside of the chassis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jim p
    I knew the stock speaker in the Peavey is an 8 ohm it’s just that I had the stock speaker from an Epiphone Valve Jr sitting around that I thought would be better (it’s a Weber I think).
    According to a post I saw from Ted (GRHS), the speaker in the Valve Jr's (at least the early ones) was not a Weber, though it had clearly been manufactured to look like one.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a few. Jim, I can email you the full res pics if you like. Just pm me.

These Bugera V5 pics.
    Last edited by Bilsdragon; November 2nd, 2009 at 07:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

a couple more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast