Thread: Zakk Wylde Camo Gibson Les Paul

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Zakk Wylde Camo Gibson Les Paul

A buddy of mine now owns a Pawn Shop. He recently took a Gibson Zakk Wylde Camo edition in trade. He called me and he can give me a killler deal on it. It came in a gig bag without the Gibson case. I have seen it and I am not a fan of the looks but it is a Gibson Custom and it feels realy nice.
    Does anyone know what case came with it, and any thoughs on the EMG pickups.
    I can pick it up for less than a Studio and they originally sold for $4500 US.
    Oh and it is in mint condtion.
    This is the Gibson model not the Epi.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Not all that crazy about the looks of those...but Zakk's tone is amazing. The EMG 81\85 combination is very cool. It would be the only active setup I would even try.

Of course for me to buy that guitar I would have to sand it down and refinish it but hey...you have a camaro....you can certainly paint a guitar :-)
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

I noodled around on it unplugged and it seems to have a real nice action and I do like the neck. I have never owned an active pickup guitar. Where do they store the battery? I would never touch the guitar and would keep it completely stock. As for the Camaro I am a nuts and bolts guy, not a painter. Rattle cans are the most I will tackle for small parts.
    I was looking at it more for an investment. The price is right.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy it.
    You can always trade it later if you don't like it. If it's in mint conditon I wouldn't change a thing on it. It should hold it's value if you're getting it that cheap.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I respect his playing but I don't think I could be seen with it in public. If you can buy it for Les Paul Studio money (~$1200) it's probably an easy and quick flip.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I ran it by the guys on the Les Paul Forum and they all seem to think it is a fake. There are several Chinese sites that list this sme guitar with all the stamps Gibson stamps and logos for under 300 bucks. It is really scary how good they look.
    I will have to take a closer look and look for the things they pointed out.
    I guess the price they gave for it probably allows for a fake with a little bit of a loss. It is either a diamond in the rough or a good lesson. They know the person who brought it in so if it is a fake he is in big trouble. My friend is 6 2 and 300 lbs.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Those fakes are usually pretty easy to spot.

I love EMG pickups, but not the 81 so much. 85's are great, I'd like an 85/85 set on a les paul, or actually even better 85 bridge and 89 neck so I could also get singlecoil. That's what I have on my Flying-V.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a quick look at it last week. I really didn't have time to go over it. At first glance it seemed pretty good. I have been told these models have an "Unfinished Neck". What actually does that mean? Is there a total lack of finish on it? The one in the store is quite glossy.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Well an update on the Zakk Wylde. It was a Chinese Fake. They paid too much for it even on trade. There were many indicators. It was a very nice job though. This is the problem with the fakes though, they are sometimes passed off as original to unsuspecting buyers. My friend is new to the Pawn business so this is a lesson well learned.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Well now you should be able to get it even cheaper right :-)
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

I posted some pictures of it in the "fake guitars" thread in the General Guiitar talk forum . I played it today to see how it was. It played pretty good but I don't know what pickups are in it. They are not the EMGs. There is no Battery so I think they are just covered Chinese hummbuckers. They sound OK. But it sure looks real.
    I am not sure if I want it yet.
    The Blues is alright!