Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Mack GEM review and demo here!

Thread: Mack GEM review and demo here!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mack GEM review and demo here!

Here is my first demo of the Mack GEM. I am excited about this little amp - it looks so cool and has lots of BIG tones in it.

Pricing info and more details at - http://www.mackamps.com/gem-head-combo/

The video below depicts me playing it for the first time. I fiddled with the knobs on the amp quite a bit, to see what different sounds I could come up with.

My initial thoughts are that is that 4 watt / 0.4 watt switch is awesome. I can really loud tones on the 4 watt setting, with the gain selector activated. With that selector of and the amp in 0.4 watt mode, it is low volume but still good tone.

The gain selector switch make the tone dirtier and louder, and it is cool for getting amp distortion at whisper volume. Never had that opportunity in a tube amp before!

The amp is Class A design with one EL84 power tube. The type of gain you get with this type of design is a gritty, growly type - not thick like a Marshall or similar. The video gives you an idea.

I used the Mack 1x10 cabinet here, which has an Eminence Ragin' Cajun in it. It seems like a good little cab. I have never played a 1x10 cabinet before. I later tried the amp through my 2x12, and of course, the sound was much bigger, and that's to expected.

I find I can get tones similar to my Heatseeker, but at lower volume. That's my favourite sound I think. That glassy, dynamic, half clean/half dirty tone with sustain and a responsive attack to one's playing.

Playing this amp is fun! It's dynamic and touch sensitive, even at low volume. It responds well to rolling off the guitars volume knob a bit for a more mellow sound. I can get good blues tone easily, and country twangy tones can be had with no problems either.

Enough talk, have a listen to me play the amp for the first time and see what you think.

Last edited by Robert; October 24th, 2009 at 10:33 AM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent tones and playing out of that amp.

The clean tones are very nice as well as the medium grit tones.

Have you had a chance to plug in some dirt pedals to see how the high gain tones are? I'd be curious to see how well the Gem takes pedals.

I looked up the data for the 6AC10 tube, very interesting. All the triodes have a theoretical gain of 62, so that tube is in the 12AT7 area in terms of gain.

Since that tube is long out of production and not likely to ever be manufactured again, you may want to stock up on some extras. The good news is that they were never used in a guitar amp, or hifi for that matter, so they are fairly cheap. AES has them for $6.20US.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same reaction as Tung--impressed by both the clean & crunch tones that little box puts out. Very nice! It even makes up for your bullsh*t wanking!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

Yes, I tried with my gain pedals after I shut off the camera, and I get KILLER gain tones at low volume with this amph with pedals! Sounds awesome with my DD-20 delay too of course.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert how much are the head and cab??? Guess I can google it!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Does the tone knob have an effect on the volume?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    "Mack Endorsing Artist", eh? Pretty slick there, RR!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, that little Mack has a wide range of great sounds.
    Both the clean and crunch sounds you noodled on were neat-o-mosquito!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, Don loved the video and put it on his website right away.

The tone knob doesn't affect the overall volume that much, if my memory serves me right.

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding, Robert! To quote some veiny, administrator-type guy from a while back: "Nice tone!"

Kudos to Don and Mack Amps, and to your demo!

(VERY cool to be on Mack's page as an Endorsing Artist, demoing the GEM!)

G
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome video Robert! ThereĀ“s some killer tones coming out of that amp, I really dig the clean sounds.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

It sounded very nice Robert, tone was excellent in the clean settings and it is amzing at such small size.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone,

Just a quick note about the NOS 6AC10 power tube. They were originally used in televisions and the like and there are thousands of them in circulation.

That's why we decided to base a production amp on a NOS tube - lots of supply and, as noted above, they're inexpensive - less expensive than a JJ 12AX7!

Thanks for the all the kind words about the Gem!

Great playing Robert!
    Don Mackrill
    Mack Amps
    www.mackamps.com
    Virtuoso Tone Without The Prima Donna Price

Post Thanks / Like

You did a great job of showing the range of tonal possibilities in that little toaster. Cleans are very clear, and the dirt is "hair with clarity".
    Good job!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanx, amphead!

Again, it's great to have company reps abord to Q&A with.
    Can't wait to try one of these.

Who's gonna carry them on Oahu?