Thread: Installing a Bigsby on a LP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Installing a Bigsby on a LP

Ok, I sold my Strat because I came to the conclusion, I like my LP better and need to size down, you might say I ran out of GAS. The thing is I would love to put a Bigiby on my LP. I've been looking and see the B5 can be put on with an adaptor (Vibramate) so there is no screw holes into the body of the guitar. Has anyone done this? Any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

A long plate Bigsby like a B7 looks much better on a Lester for my money.
    The Vibramate only saves you drillng holes in the top. The holes are small if you go back.

This video shows how to install a a B700 (OK, it's a semi in the vid, but the procedure is the same, B7, B70 use the same process).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23DH-uFn6A8

The licensed Bigsby's (B50, B70) are functionally the same but a fair bit cheaper than the US made models. They're better finished too IMO.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Z
    you might say I ran out of GAS.

Take two asprin and call me in the morning!

I've seen the retrofit kits that avoid drilling, and am interested as well for down the road.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't there a kind that bolts on to the butt end of the guitar?

You know, where the strap button is.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bigsby for LP

There is one for the LP that uses the stock posts or post holes on the LP. I have seen one and talked to the guy that has it on a Gibson LP Special. He says it bolts right up and he is a professional guitar tech that handles the Harrisburg, Pa. hinterland. Major pros utilize his shop, Full Custom Music, Leymoyne, Pa., no affltn.

A correctly mounted one of these on an LP would definitely be fun to have.

Let me know how the project went if it went.

Thanks,
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

Do a search on these vibramate and other styles to get experienced opinions. There are some negative comments about them to the point I've decided drilling and flush mounting is the way to go. Probably translates to better tone as well.