Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some guitar players you should hear, if you haven't already!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by msteeln
    Here he's with a dapper lil whipper snapper named Cole Davis, who might have a future on the guitar...
    You ain't kidding. Cole Davis has some serious skills.

Jimmy Vaughan has been overshadowed by Stevie, but his sublime playing is incredible.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Ok here are a few Brits !

And this guy makes guitar playing so easy, but no one can play like him

Post Thanks / Like

I'm compiling a few British players to add to this. Hank B was on my list too.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Dude,

a.) almost all these guys, never heard of 'em.

That's hilarious.

At least in a guitar player's forum, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    I assume that Torrenting is not illegal in Finland?
    Um, it's a matter of debate. Using and downloading and even upping to the net aren't basically. Using for monetary gain is, and sharing at least in large quantities, i.e. with intent to distribute, is.

But yeah, basically there is no law saying I can't download whatever I find on the net.

Using whatever I download, though, is another matter, but as long as I'm not running a company that somehow benefits from using, say pirated software in its functions, it's basically allowed, although there is constant debate on how does it work.

There have been a few trials where they have charged people who have shared, say a 100.000 songs or whatever for years, generating huge traffic...but as long as it's comparable to home taping etc. or just personal use downloads, it may be frowned upon and debated, but there really is no legal basis to forbid it. We'll see if it changes.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wingsdad

That's hilarious.

I guess...but you gotta understand, I'm scandinavian...not all things american are so well known here. I'm sure you wouldn't know the players in Finnish, French or German bands too well :-)

Like I posted in another thread, I don't think for instance country music is listened to basically at all outside U.S. although I was very surprised a lot of them older country songs etc. and stuff like Johnny Cash is turned into children's music and dance songs and people in most cases don't even know the original tune is some obscure (to us) american song, like 'Riders in the Sky' 'Crocodile Rock' etc.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

...obscure (to us) american song, like 'Riders in the Sky' 'Crocodile Rock' etc.
    "Crocodile Rock" is an Elton John song. Elton John is originally from Pinner, just north of London, UK. A British song then, recorded in France iirc. You really are isolated in Finland, aren't you?

I have to admit I haven't heard of many of the blues players in this thread but I don't listen much to modern blues rock.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    "Crocodile Rock" is an Elton John song. Elton John is originally from Pinner, just north of London, UK. A British song then, recorded in France iirc. You really are isolated in Finland, aren't you?

I have to admit I haven't heard of many of the blues players in this thread but I don't listen much to modern blues rock.
    Oh. I didn't know that. Never listened to any Elton that I know of, all I know of him are the hits you can't have missed, like when Diana died etc. Not my kind of music.

But I suppose most Finns know crocodile rock in Finnish first, most probably don't know it's Elton's...this is the version I remember:

Dee

Post Thanks / Like

"I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

I've been on a Budda amp kick these days, gassin for a Superdrive, and discovered Davey Knowles.
    He's right there on the Budda homepage.
    Look forward to hearing more from him. He really rips on that Bob & Tom studio clip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Davey Knowles/Backdoor Slam

Quote Originally Posted by Radioboy950
    I've been on a Budda amp kick these days, gassin for a Superdrive, and discovered Davey Knowles.
    Check out Davey's cover of "Redhouse" from the Backdoor Slam EP.
    Of the many recorded versions of "Redhouse", this is the best IMO. This young guy has got some soul!

I couldn't find a video as good as the performance on the EP, but this is close enough:

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wingsdad

That's hilarious.

Is Finland a third world country (lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Davey Knowles is one of the best up and coming blues players out there!
    I really like BDS albums....just about worn them out.
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of Canadians prob'ly 'member Frank. I sure do. Doubt if he's well known in Finland, tho.

Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Lots of Canadians prob'ly 'member Frank. I sure do. Doubt if he's well known in Finland, tho.
    Wow, how could we have forgotten to bring up Frank? I remember him in the 70's as the first guy who could cover Hendrex well.

Gotta' play Dragonfly (wish I found better audio). He gets rolling at about 30 seconds:

Last edited by Tig; October 30th, 2009 at 08:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey, I actually have had a Frank Marino album on tape! Might still have it somewhere. I know many Canadian bands, just the other day I found some old Helix albums. Isn't Danko Jones Canadian - they're one of my favorite bands. Rush is also very big in Finland, I have friends who've traveled to other countries just to see Rush. And Annihilator was Canadian? What about Billy Talent, I think at least some of the guys are Canadian...and Talent's II album is maybe the best album I have heard in maybe 10 years and definitely will be a classic. The Tragically Hip as well...I've known a couple of Canadians and I always thought it must be much similar to Finland in some respects over there. There are two countries in the world I might consider moving into other than here, if I had a good job offer to work there, and they're Canada and New Zealand. (My wife is a scientist (biochemistry) and there is a possibility she'll have to go work at some big international university to do some studies for a year or two and us the family may be forced to have to live wherever it will be for a while. Her colleague just moved to California to do some study thing.) We also had a half-canadian bass player in our band for 4 years.

I suppose it's just that I don't - and I don't think many finns either - listen to this blues and country stuff. It's so...I don't know. I think of someone listening to blues or country, I think of truck drivers. No offense meant, seriously. But it's just not popular here among regular folk. Even musicians I guess. Jazz and such is big, stuff like Miles Davis and, I dunno, Jaco Pastorius, Bootsy Collins, would be better known, and there are of course some blues/jazz acts that are big here and well known...but bluesy country style rock, not so much. And to be honest, most of that stuff sounds just like the next song to me anyway. Can't really tell many SRV's song apart from the next for instance, always the same chords, manners, licks. I suppose it's supposed to be very simple music but to me country music very often sounds like one big song. You could just change the words and feel a little and that'd be another song even if it had the same beat and chords.

I reckon in country music lyrics are also important, but there's a catch - nobody in a non-english-speaking country care a rat's *** about the lyrics. So they are completely lost on people. I could make songs about raping dead grandmothers and play that on a fine dinner party as a beautiful ballad and very few people would even flinch. Even I - although I view myself as rather competent with English - very rarely listen to lyrics on songs. So that may be one factor taking away from the appeal of country and blues.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon in country music lyrics are also important, but there's a catch - nobody in a non-english-speaking country care a rat's *** about the lyrics. So they are completely lost on people. I could make songs about raping dead grandmothers and play that on a fine dinner party as a beautiful ballad and very few people would even flinch. Even I - although I view myself as rather competent with English - very rarely listen to lyrics on songs. So that may be one factor taking away from the appeal of country and blues.
    In most cases with popular music, you're not missing anything if you don't understand the music. Plus, even if you extremely proficient in the language, it's often difficult to tell exactly what the singer is saying.

Re: the Finnish version of Crocodile Rock, I particularly enjoyed the Chipmunks on background vocals. I remember hearing the Beatles doing "She Loves You" in German "Sie liebt dich, ja, ja, ja" and giggling quietly to myself. Even my feeble German skills could figure that one out.

I don't know why everybody here is so surprised that Finnish native wouldn't be familiar with everything that Americans take for granted. American culture is spreading throughout the world (not unlike the plague) but that doesn't mean that people everywhere should know everything that we do.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few more for you....

Leslie West

Paul Kossoff

Steve Morse

Jack Pearson

And one of my most favorite players....
    Steffen Schackinger

LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Perfect S. for the Jack Pearson vid. ,did nt know him ..He is some guitar player , tasty and very talented.. Wow

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast