Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some guitar players you should hear, if you haven't already!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Some guitar players you should hear, if you haven't already!

How about a list of guitar players that you feel might be a little overlooked but should be sought out and listened to? Don't list the Super Stars, everybody already knows them. Bring some new.....or old....music to the table.

I'll start off with a small list to get ya'll started...

Jonny Lang -

Sonny Landreth -

Buddy Guy -

Warren Haynes - Gov't Mule -

Kenny Wayne Shepherd -

Roy Buchanan -

Derek Trucks -

Walter Trout -

Masaki Matsubara -

Stanley Jordan (check this cat out on youtube) -

Alvin Lee - (Ten Years After) -

Buck Dharma - (Blue Oyster Cult) -

Bonnie Raitt - for slide guitar -

Gary Hoey -

Joe Bonamassa -

Michael Romeo -

Peter Frampton - his instrumental stuff -

Robben Ford -

Michael Kang - (String Cheese Incident) -

there, that should get the ball rolling..I encourage to post their favorites here too! Enjoy...
    Last edited by Perfect Stranger; October 27th, 2009 at 12:06 PM.
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dude,

a.) almost all these guys, never heard of 'em.

b.) It's way too much work to find examples of the greatest guitar work out there.
    I just spent a while trying to find out who is it who plays the electric on Aimee Mann's couple of albums from circa 2000 something...I don't remember the names of albums but I listen to them all the time, and whoever that guy is, is one of the best guitarists I've ever heard.

Then also couldn't find anything live by Saigon Kick...whoever plays guitar in that band as well is _so_ good.

Also youtube seems slooow and crashing today...with Reef, can't find anything live...that guy I know by name though, Kenwyn House...such a weird name....well I suppose I could find some 70's examples of Angus Young playing, and Neil Young & Crazy Horse, but ya all know them so won't bother.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Dude,

a.) almost all these guys, never heard of 'em.

I'd be shocked if you HAD heard of them. Until recently you didn't even know who Willie Nelson or B.B. King were

I'd heard of several of these, but a few I hadn't. I only heard of Government Mule this week. Warren was on the Bob and Tom show Friday and played some wonderful music.
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Washburn Idol 64 DL w/GFS Dream 180 pups
    Washburn X-33 w/GFS 60's-70's Grey Bottom Non Stagger Overwound
    Stagg G300 SG w/GFS Power Rails
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Richard Thompson-

Jimmy Herring-

Chris Michetti (Raq)-
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Hollywood Fats post

Always start the vids at low volume!

Precious little is ever heard of Michael Mann, one of the true greats of Jump/Blues/Rock guitar that died way too early with only 2 CDs of his solo material to be had today, and very little is available to view. Here's some of what I could find.

Pt. 1
    Pt. 2

There are a couple more on YT of Fats w/The Blasters, and that's about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Jimmy 'Kimo' Delgado post

Always start the vids at low vol.!

Kimo is deffinitely one you've probably missed.
    Seasoned in East LA along with his brothers, they were one hot ensemble.
    Today sadly, they are no longer together, but enjoy what was.

w/Chris Cain

His latest venture is a different style CD full of great music with a strong focus on the steel guitar - www.cdbaby.com/cd/kimomusic
    He studied under the legendary steeler, Jerry Byrd, and obviously paid full attention.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Funny

Matt Schofield

Danny boy

Last edited by Blaze; October 30th, 2009 at 02:52 PM.
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Dan Auerbach

Parker Griggs

Davy Knowles

Aaron Richner

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorite guitar soloes of all time. Steely Dan's Bodhisattva, featuring the incomparable Denny Dias on lead guitar.

Unfortunately, this is the only "clip" I could find on youtube (other than some cats trying to cover it) of the real Steely Dan take of the song. It's a Rock Band thing (like Guitar Hero, neither of which I've ever seen or played), but the song and lead are crystal clear, which is the point. So, you're literally going to "hear" (as this thread is titled) a great guitarist in one of his shining moments! Here ya go, it's worth it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gluS...video_response

(By the by: just learned a few weeks ago that Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (studio rat, Steely Danner and Doobie Bros) is setting up shop right next door to Parramore Music here locally, where I've bought all my Peavey and Martin gear - and home to my guitar tech Chris Davis. Pretty darn cool! And it's only abt 10 blocks from me! Maybe I'll get to meet another legend... )
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Davy Knowles is unfortunately an unknown, but one of the best talents to come along since SRV in my opinion.

OP: I've listened to guys like Warren Haynes, Stanly Jordan, Robben Ford, Buddy Guy, and Kenny Wayne Shepherd for so long, I consider them to be Super Stars already!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

"I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

He plays guitar differently than the players in the previous videos, but he is just as impressive. I had the good fortune of seeing him perform and it was a jaw-dropping experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYzajpeAWuA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigG
    (By the by: just learned a few weeks ago that Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (studio rat, Steely Danner and Doobie Bros) is setting up shop right next door to Parramore Music here locally, where I've bought all my Peavey and Martin gear - and home to my guitar tech Chris Davis. Pretty darn cool! And it's only abt 10 blocks from me! Maybe I'll get to meet another legend... )
    Wow, Jeff is a true legend. Tell us if you run into him. Bet you could buy him lunch and have a great time!
    (a buddy bought Dave Mustaine lunch in Dallas and had a dream come true with great conversation)
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Whoa guys, you listen to strange music . Me, I generally like proper rock music, not these jazzy/country/artsy bluesy thangs or fall-betweens like Pink Floyd etc. you don't know if that's rock or what the hell is that noodling . I guess I'm too much of a one-track guy, it's gotta be either rock music or then downright Miles Davis or classical music...never like anything in between really...my loss I guess But that Black Keys one was just my kind of stuff...I really need to see if I can steal their album if they have one out...

Great thread though, some great players it seems, even if they play all wrong kind of music, LOL ;-)
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

But that Black Keys one was just my kind of stuff...I really need to see if I can steal their album if they have one out...
    Listen to the Black keys Magic Potion album. That would be right up your alley.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I just found their discography, 10 albums including Ep's and a solo album by that guy...ill take 30 minutes to download, big package.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Exellent post!

I´ve posted about Andreas Lidberg before but I am certain that this talented guitarist will be well known in the future!

I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I just found their discography, 10 albums including Ep's and a solo album by that guy...ill take 30 minutes to download, big package.

I assume that Torrenting is not illegal in Finland?
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rocky Athas and Cole Davis

Rocky was part of the rejuvinated Black Oak Arkansas around 1990 and was a huge part of their killer CD - The Wild Bunch.
    Here he's with a dapper lil whipper snapper named Cole Davis, who might have a future on the guitar...

Girls do it too!
    Donna Austin getting inside Jimi.

The sublime, Ronnie earl. Dig the Strat!

Ronnie w/Jimmie Vaughan - Texas Flood
    Not the best sound quality, but two of the best Strat wranglers around.

Former T-Birds Duke and Kid
    I saw this band twice, and even tho it took two Strats to do it, these guy's were better than the JV day's.
    Glad to see there is vid of this T-Bird version.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast