Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Fender Strat Pickup hole size?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fender Strat Pickup hole size?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fender Strat Pickup hole size?

Hello,

I will be replacing the pickups in my Squier Strat and was curious if the hole size is the same as a U.S.A. Fender, I thought I had read that the Squier pickguard holes were smaller then the U.S.A. holes? I am looking to find some Fender original pickups, probably on ebay to replace the Squier parts. Any insight on this?

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Go ahaead - the sizes are the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    Go ahaead - the sizes are the same.
    I'll second that. Fear not.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I see I should have put this in the pickup section, sorry.

Thanks again. I don't know where I read that they were tighter then stock Fender openings.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Thanks guys, I see I should have put this in the pickup section, sorry.

Thanks again. I don't know where I read that they were tighter then stock Fender openings.

M29
    The only difference usually with Squier pickguard holes are the locations sometimes (the 11 or 8 screws holding on the pickguard). Some models of Squiers use smaller pots than on Fenders, so those holes might be a bit smaller too. If you replace the pots, you may have to file the holes a bit or dremel them a little larger.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    The only difference usually with Squier pickguard holes are the locations sometimes (the 11 or 8 screws holding on the pickguard). Some models of Squiers use smaller pots than on Fenders, so those holes might be a bit smaller too. If you replace the pots, you may have to file the holes a bit or dremel them a little larger.
    Very true!

I had to file quite a lot of wood to get CTS pots to fit in my Jagmaster. The pickguard screw holes are always a bit out of whack when compared with a standard Fender model.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, sounds like it is nothing too bad, I was concerned that the oval pickup opening might need to be opened up some and that would not be terrible but not pleasant.

Well I just about had my steel trem block finished when I was drilling the last small hole for the springs to mount in and broke a drill bit off in the block. I suppose I should have done those holes first before all the milling and tapping.

Thanks again guys.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Well I just about had my steel trem block finished when I was drilling the last small hole for the springs to mount in and broke a drill bit off in the block. I suppose I should have done those holes first before all the milling and tapping.
    You made your own steel block? Would you care to post a few pics when you have a chance? I'm going to try and build a couple for my Squiers soon and would love to see how yours came out.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Homemade steel block? (obvious echo in here). Tell us more with pics. Material and how you did it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,

I have looked around and cannot find a steel block for a Squier with the odd hole spacings so I decided to make my own. I ended up with way too many hours with having to go down to my dads to use the mill which is about 45 miles one way. I go down to visit dad and mom anyway so it was no problem, dad is 91 now. I did end up with quite a bit of time on the mill. I took the rusty nasty piece of steel and milled it square and then marked off my hole spacings and drilled and tapped the holes. Then when it was pretty much done, I started to drill out the 1/16th noles for the spring mounting and broke the bit on the last 1/8 of an inch to go. I was very careful running the drill out every so often to keep the chips out of the way and I don't know what I did but It must have locked in the hole and it broke off flush with the top surface so there is no way to get a hold of it to remove it.

Does anyone know if there is a steel block available for a Squier trem, even if I have to buy the whole trem?

What do you guys suggest on the amount of springs on a trem? I had three and it seemed okay but I would not mind experimenting.

I put the Squier Strat together to try it out with the '51 neck and it works great!! I can get the action down real low and it intonates perfectly.

I will take a pic and put it up. It still has some swirls in the paint though and it has only dried for about a month so I am going to let it dry up some more before I put the final polish on it.

Here is a pic of the block. This is before I broke the drill bit in it.

I hope this helps.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thats pretty cool...but isn't there anyway to salvage that block? Anyway to take the bit out and do it again till its done? That would be awesome if you made your own. You can get Bill Callaham to custom machine you one if you send him your Squier block I'll bet you.

As far as springs I started out with 3 on mine and then added another one. I almost have the trem flush to the body on mine even though you can barely lift up in pitch on the trem. You can barely see daylight under the trem plate on either side. I screwed the trem claw back into the body a ways to try a different feel and tone.
    Last edited by tone2thebone; September 6th, 2006 at 04:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello tone2thebone,

At this point I do not have any idea as to how to get it out. The thing is so darn small. I am trying to keep costs to a minimum on this Squier and see what it comes out like but I would spring 30/40 dollars for a steel block trem as the guitar is coming out just like I hoped so far.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to ask you which hole was the culprit? Was it an important one? Is that why you asked about the number of springs?

Email or call Callaham. I'm pretty sure he'd be able to custom make you one. I ordered one this past week for my Strat. Keep the pictures coming on your guitar project thats neat!

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple pics. She is not finished yet so don't look too hard. I still have to replace the electrics and pickups. I did not want to invest in pickups until I knew it was going to play well enough. I will probably go with Fender U.S.A. stuff on ebay. Also I have to polish the neck out between the frets and also polish the frets.

Here are the pics, I don't have my Rat Fink decal on yet though, not until it gets the final polish.

Do you think the Rat Fink will look okay? It is kind of from my good time era during the 60's and that is why I want to put it on. I will trim the shape down close to the Rat before I put it on so there is no extra vynal, ( I know I spelt that rong) film showing

I hope ya like it.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet guitar man! I love the Tele headstock. I thought I was the only guy here who mixed a Tele and Strat together.

Your block looks sweet dude. Don't give up on it just yet. My father worked in precision metal for over 30 years, so let me ask him about your dilemma to see if he knows of any possible way to salvage all the hard work you put into it.

As for getting a Callaham block for your guitar, what are your string spacing specs? On my 25.5" JagMaster, I discovered a MIM bridge fit my Squier perfectly. I took a Fender MIM bridge plate and applied a Callaham MIM upgrade kit to it. I now have a kick a$$ Jag that sounds and plays as nice as my American Deluxe Strats.

If you are interested in having Bill Callaham build you a block, I'm sure he would do it for you. I shipped him a stock AmDlx block to use as a guide. He built me 2 custom blocks to fit my AmDlx Strats and I've been jamming happily ever after!

I've said this numerous times, but I'll never own a Strat that doesn't have a steel block ever again. They make that big of difference to me.

Post Thanks / Like

M29 - That is a GORGEOUS color I really like that! Wow. And the tele neck on it is great!

Post Thanks / Like

sweet...i love the color...if you like the rat fink go for it....maybe burn the edges which was popular for awhile instead of just trimming them...

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! Is that surf green?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,

Thank you for the kind words.

tremoloman, I will look into the Callaham block do you remember how much he charged for one block? Also please ask your father what I might be able to do with a broken 1/16th high speed drill bit. Maybe I can chase it with a cabide drill. Ya know I can't say what to expect changing to a steel block but I can just imagine how it would tighten up some of the sound and give more sustain. At least that is what I hope it will do. I am new to this stuff again after many years so I will have to try it out.
    Thanks again for your kind words and help.

tone2thebone, warren0728, SuperSwede, Thank you for the compliments! The color is surf green rattle can from Reranch and is nitro lacquer applied over the original black poly. The black poly was in very good condition so I sanded it down with the intentions of using it as a base and taking as much off as I could before putting the surf green on. The nitro is taking a while to fully set up and my polishing still has some very fine swirls in it so I backed off to let it dry longer before I put a final polish on it. I put Duplicolor clear gloss on this Squier '51 neck for something different then the satin which I really like on my '51. I always wanted a gloss maple neck so I thought I would do that here.

warren0728, I am curious as to what you mean by burn the edges on the decal? Can you explain how that works? I am trying to decide if I want to use the black and white decal or the colored one. The black and white looks more 60's so I will probably go with that.

Here are a couple decal options, what do you think?

Also I am thinking about using mint colored pickup covers to go with the knobs. What do you all think about this will it be too much mint color?

Thanks again for your compliments and help.

M29

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast