Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Looking at Macs - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking at Macs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    There is basically no hardware difference between macs and pc's these day
    Except for some chips that the PC doesnt have and thus prevents Mac OS from being installed on a standard PC.

It can be installed via software hacks but I wouldnt recommend a new mac user going that route, its just not "the mac experience".

Here is a picture describing the differences between Mac and PC users

I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Default mcafee

this is a thread full of mac people, so i guess i can ask...

would my dad's mcafee (Windows) work on this mac im on?

G4 Powermac, made in ireland. Tiger 10.4.11, 533MHz processor, etc.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    this is a thread full of mac people, so i guess i can ask...

would my dad's mcafee (Windows) work on this mac im on?

G4 Powermac, made in ireland. Tiger 10.4.11, 533MHz processor, etc.
    Yes, if you've installed Windows via Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop, otherwise no. Why would you want McAfee security software on a Mac?
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

mainly because its all i can get for free at the moment.

my laptop has norton and it sucks. my friend has kasperskey and i just generally dont like the idea of such cheap antivirus.
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Post Thanks / Like

I use this, it's free.

http://www.clamxav.com/

Post Thanks / Like

is that clamxav thing any good? its not like a generic antivirus or firewall, its just a scanner.

i guess that means it wont detect viruses or malware until i tell it to look for it?

Post Thanks / Like

It's a Mac, e don't need no stinking anti-virus..

Post Thanks / Like

thats what i thought too, but then someone told me that anything that is connected to a WLAN or ethernet cable can be infected with viruses and stuff. i thought it would be best to protect my computers.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't hurt to be proactive 'Nez, can't fault you there.

Post Thanks / Like

the tv ads on the apple site perfectly sum up the differences that superswede outlined.

id swear that the 'mac' guy is the guy from DieHard 4.0.

Post Thanks / Like

That post of Swede's is a bit out of date though. Floppy disks? Iomega Zip drive? Serial cable? A Newton?
    Last edited by markb; November 3rd, 2009 at 02:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

the tv ads on the apple site perfectly sum up the differences that superswede outlined.

Good eye. Yup, Justin Long was in Live Free or Die Hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Can't watch the TV ads because 'Quicktime required' and I will not install any Apple software on my machine if there is any way to avoid it. If there are any programs that cause more problems than Apple's I sure wouldn't want to even hear about them.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

BTW these guys sell a platform (and complete machines) that allow you to use a Mac OS among others on your machine:

http://www.psystar.com/

That way you can save half your dough and not be handicapped by Apple's limitations.

My friends boots between Linux, Snow Leopard and Win7 and Win Xp on his machine just for the hell of it. So far I've been only using Linux and Xp on my main machine, but today I'm also installing win 7 along with them.

I'll install win7 also on the NC10 minimachine. Maybe I should try the Snow Leopard as well...although my hatred for macs is pretty deep rooted, I once had to use one for a year at work.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Except for some chips that the PC doesnt have and thus prevents Mac OS from being installed on a standard PC.
    Actually from what I've been reading it's vice versa, the Apple OS might not have the drivers for all PC components. Plus Apple is doing its best to include software blocks that try to detect whether the hardware is made by Apple before it allows it to run...but it's met with a lot of opposition on that front. Apple makes its money by selling hardware, not their OS. And the last thing they want is users to understand that the hardware is just the same as on PC and no better quality either; only restricted every which way so Apple could sell hugely overpriced hardware with it. Very hard to get to editing system files etc. and seeing what's actually happening on a mac...they don't want you to be able to do it.

I like Apple's stuff well enough for style etc, just not the OS and some of the hardware such as the horrid mice and them glossy monitors are just terrible. And then the rest is overpriced.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Ibanez.....Mcafee is worse than having no a/v at all. If you want to use a free a/v look and see if avg has a mac version.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    That post of Swede's is a bit out of date though. Floppy disks? Iomega Zip drive? Serial cable? A Newton?
    Well..ehrm.. it wasnt meant to be serious..
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Well..ehrm.. it wasnt meant to be serious..
    I've added a smiley. Happy now?

Deeaa, you're just not getting the point of the slogan "it just works", are you?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast